Feb 09, 2013, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer
Someone earlier mentioned that they avoid balsa planes because it is "fragile."

I bet if they owned a Stevens Aero SQuiRT that would change their mind.

I highly recommend one of those if someone is looking at their first beginner balsa plane. And if you want, it can be built for you for free.

Frank
The StevensAero Lil' Squirt is/was the first balsa plane I built as an adult. It's still alive in spite of having been lawn-darted many times. It weighs about 4 oz., so how much trouble can it get into, anyway? The LiddleRod is cuter, lighter and more modern, and flies better. It uses the Parkzone micro power system and Rx/servo brick.

to remove ads between posts
Feb 09, 2013, 04:59 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustBen
Quite specifically, the E-Flite Eratix had terribly warped wings.
I'm sure they did. My point is that not all ARFs come warped, not all of one manufacturers ARFs come warped and not all of even one particular model comes warped.

ANY film covered model wing or tail can warp if it is covered in one environment, let's say China, and then shipped to another enviroment, lets say Texas. Temp and humidity differences can easily cause a wing or tail warp that did not exist where it was built and covered. Well sealed wings and tails are less affected, but ones with open wing roots and multiple servo hatches can absord humidity into the structure easily.
Last edited by Thomas B; Feb 09, 2013 at 05:10 PM.
Feb 09, 2013, 05:02 PM
Come fly with us in Henryetta
I have had several E-Flite Arfs. Including the Leader 480, Advance 25E and Mini Pulse XT. No problems with any of them. No warps. Good Glue joints. The Mini Pulse XT can stand a bit of beef added for the landing gear. But that is it for any of them I have seen.
Feb 09, 2013, 05:20 PM
AMA 537620
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b
The StevensAero Lil' Squirt is/was the first balsa plane I built as an adult. It's still alive in spite of having been lawn-darted many times. It weighs about 4 oz., so how much trouble can it get into, anyway? The LiddleRod is cuter, lighter and more modern, and flies better. It uses the Parkzone micro power system and Rx/servo brick.

Very utilitarian covering job.
Feb 09, 2013, 06:07 PM
Suspended Account
Balsa arfs are nice. There is a reason why balsa kits are slowly becoming extinct. When you factor in costs such as rolls of oracover and other expenses, they are usually more expensive than arfs!! When I buy an arf, somebody has essentially built it for free AND it's cheaper!
A balsa parkflyer arf is anywhere from $75-$200 and you can easily spend $100 on oracover alone if you want more than a monochromatic color scheme (no, already having previous rolls does not count). If a balsa kit already came with covering and hardware and cost less than $50, sure, I'd build kits.
Economically, kits are obsolete. That is why natural selection (the free market) has killed off most kits (and not to sound cruel but, time is also killing off more kit builders vs new blood entering the hobby which are by a huge majority arf only)
Feb 09, 2013, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfisherman
Balsa arfs are nice. There is a reason why balsa kits are slowly becoming extinct. When you factor in costs such as rolls of oracover and other expenses, they are usually more expensive than arfs!! When I buy an arf, somebody has essentially built it for free AND it's cheaper!
A balsa parkflyer arf is anywhere from $75-$200 and you can easily spend $100 on oracover alone if you want more than a monochromatic color scheme (no, already having previous rolls does not count). If a balsa kit already came with covering and hardware and cost less than $50, sure, I'd build kits.
Economically, kits are obsolete. That is why natural selection (the free market) has killed off most kits (and not to sound cruel but, time is also killing off more kit builders vs new blood entering the hobby which are by a huge majority arf only)
The real price of Oracover to a manufacturer is probably 20 cents a foot.
That stuff has been made since Moses went mountain climbing.... the price to produce has to be down to nothing.
Besides, most ARF's use something completely different than Ultracote/Oracover
Feb 09, 2013, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat
Very utilitarian covering job.
I consider myself a Frisbeetarian, but thanks anyway.
Feb 09, 2013, 09:01 PM
Jim in the Desert
Quote:
I dig the covering, very Rascally, which is the most gorgeous plane out there.
Feb 09, 2013, 09:04 PM
Jim in the Desert
Quote:

I can't imagine the Little Rod flying anywhere near as nice as this. This looks like a real floater .... yes?
Feb 09, 2013, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud_9
I can't imagine the Little Rod flying anywhere near as nice as this. This looks like a real floater .... yes?
By most standards, yes, but she's an ounce or so over the spec'd weight of 2.8 oz. The LittleRod is closer to its spec weight, probably why it's the better flyer. It's 0.9 oz, all-up.
Feb 09, 2013, 09:24 PM
AMA 537620
Quote:
You would definitely fit in around here... especially 30 miles south in Ithaca.
Feb 10, 2013, 12:52 PM
If cost is your only barometer of enjoyment you are missing out on a lot of enjoyment.
For me building is 75% of my hobbies. I enjoy flying but I also enjoy building and not only R/C airplanes but ships (both wood and plastic) and plastic airplanes mostly 1/72 scale. Some of my plastics put the cost of model airplanes to shame.
In my shop I have two workbenches--one for R/C planes and one for the other stuff.
I also have a 12 volume stamp collection and an extensive collection of books on the World Wars.
I enjoy all of them but if I had to choose one--and given my advancing age that might be sooner than later--it would be the building part of it all--despite the cost.

BM
Feb 10, 2013, 01:24 PM
Been in the hobby a little less than a year. In order, I have picked up:

Hangar 9 Alpha 40 RTF (what I trained/solo'd on)
Parkzone T-28 PNP
E-Flite PT-17 Stearman ARF
Top Notch Lil' Pup KIT
Great Planes Super Sportster EP ARF

I like flying, period. Glow, electric, I like aspects of both. The advantage to balsa, for me, is that I feel I can fly comfortably in a little more wind. That being said, my T-28 is plenty of fun.

Quality wise, my only bit of disappointment with any of my planes is the Super Sportster. Between the covering, cowl, wheel pants, and spinner I've 4 different shades of red. The funny part is that the even the wheel pant are noticeably different shades from each other. It also came with a moderately warped horizontal stabilizer that I've not been able to straighten. I've trimmed the problem out with my transmitter, so it's not too big a deal to me.

I enjoy building ARF's, and with the Lil' Pup I put together my first kit. It was an easy build and flies very well. With the kit, I like knowing it's put together well and straight. The part I didn't like so much was applying Monokote. Since then, I've picked up more info. about covering.

I will buy more ARF's and build more kits. Balsa and foam. The only head scratcher to me is that I can assemble an ARF for less than building a kit. This may deter other newbies to the hobby from building kits-certainly those that are more into the flying and getting a plane in the air fast. I don't mind the price difference of kit vs. ARF as I enjoy model building as well as flying.

Perspectives of an older (42) new guy to the hobby.
Feb 10, 2013, 02:00 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8director

Parkzone T-28 PNP
Top Notch Lil' Pup KIT

I like flying, period. Glow, electric, I like aspects of both. The advantage to balsa, for me, is that I feel I can fly comfortably in a little more wind. That being said, my T-28 is plenty of fun.

Quality wise, my only bit of disappointment with any of my planes is the Super Sportster. Between the covering, cowl, wheel pants, and spinner I've 4 different shades of red. The funny part is that the even the wheel pant are noticeably different shades from each other. It also came with a moderately warped horizontal stabilizer that I've not been able to straighten. I've trimmed the problem out with my transmitter, so it's not too big a deal to me.

I enjoy building ARF's, and with the Lil' Pup I put together my first kit. It was an easy build and flies very well. With the kit, I like knowing it's put together well and straight. The part I didn't like so much was applying Monokote. Since then, I've picked up more info. about covering.

I will buy more ARF's and build more kits. Balsa and foam. The only head scratcher to me is that I can assemble an ARF for less than building a kit. This may deter other newbies to the hobby from building kits-certainly those that are more into the flying and getting a plane in the air fast. I don't mind the price difference of kit vs. ARF as I enjoy model building as well as flying.

And that is where my idea can help others. We can build them great quality kits that are built by skilled people and it will have a custom covering scheme. They get a lightweight, well built plane that will be ready to fly.

Frank
Feb 10, 2013, 03:02 PM
Jim in the Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8director

Parkzone T-28 PNP
Top Notch Lil' Pup KIT

Bill, great post, three questions:

1. 42 is not older. Guess that's not a question.
2. why do your kits end up costing more than an ARF? Can you break that down?
3. the monocote is what intimidates me. Can you direct me to sources of info on how to do this?

Thanks
Jim

Quick Reply