Feb 05, 2013, 09:35 AM
It's looking up!
Thread OP
Build Log

Blaster 3 ballast sticks

Hi, I just finished a few of the ballast sticks for the Blaster 3 ST model DLG.
Thought you might want to see how I made them!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2013, 09:40 AM
It's looking up!
Thread OP

From the factory!

Here is what the dealers are selling!
$25 dollars for one plus shipping!
Feb 05, 2013, 09:47 AM
It's looking up!
Thread OP
First I went shopping for the parts I wanted - was looking for some type of thin plastic cover for note books and of course some lead! I wanted the lead in 1/2 oz pieces.
Found a great Portfolio Folder at the Craft store that was long enough for what I needed and the lead weights I got at Dicks Sporting Goods - total cost 13 dollars
I think I can make 5 of them with the weights I bought but there will be enough plastic sticks for probably 50 of them!!
Feb 05, 2013, 09:54 AM
It's looking up!
Thread OP
First I cut one cover off of the folder and took all the stickers off of it. Then I got the stick holder piece out of the plane and used it as a guide for how wide I wanted them and cut 5 of them with a sharp razor knife. The stick holder piece is hard plastic and it screws at the tip of the plane and has a tab on it that you pop into the plastic strips to hold the weights in place over your CG.
Feb 05, 2013, 10:02 AM
It's looking up!
Thread OP
Next I wanted to make something to melt the lead into that would form the shape needed to fit into the ballast cavity. Its a half moon shape but pretty thin.
So I took a piece of 1/2 copper tubing I had and I split it in half using a drummel. Cleaned up the drummel burs and placed two copper end caps on it! I didn't glue the end caps on as they fit fairly tight and I wanted to get them off to remove the finished lead product!
Feb 05, 2013, 10:15 AM
It's looking up!
Thread OP
I placed two 1/2 OZ weights in the copper form and put the heat to it! It melts easy and flowed pretty good towards both ends of the copper! Make sure your form is level so the lead spreads evenly. Let it cool and then I dipped it in water. Pop the caps off and tapped on it upside down and the lead came right out! Notice the end view, its the perfect thickness and shape for the cavity it needs to go in.

Don't make them too thick - make the copper tubing form longer if you need more weight. I will use several forms to make my 4 weight set! 1/2 oz - 1 oz - 1.5 oz - 2 oz. - I will try them and see if I need more different sizes!

If I need more I will make a 3/4 oz / 1.25 oz / 1.75 oz
Feb 05, 2013, 10:20 AM
It's looking up!
Thread OP
I used a bit of krazy glue and some strapping tape to attach the weight to plastic strap. I roughed up the surface of the plastic first. They are nice and tight and should last many years I am sure! I also cleaned the lead up on the wire wheel to get the burnt spots and sharp edges off!
Feb 05, 2013, 10:34 AM
It's looking up!
Thread OP
Now for the harder part!
I placed my plane on my work stand that I have a CG setup on and checked the balance. It was at 85cm - and I like the way it flies at that point!
Then I slid in just the new ballast stick and moved it back and forth till it rebalanced at 85cm.
the plastic stick was still sticking out past the nose of the plane so I marked the tip of the plane on the plastic with a marker. I removed the stick and cut along the marker line.
Feb 05, 2013, 10:54 AM
It's looking up!
Thread OP
Next I placed the plastic holder that came with the plane on the plastic strap and marked the center of the hole for the tab on the holder to go through. I drilled a hole the same size as the tab. Placed the new ballast stick and holder back in the plane and screwed the plastic holder in. The CG was perfect at 85cm still!
Feb 05, 2013, 11:09 AM
It's looking up!
Thread OP
Just before I made the ballast sticks, I had made a new shop work stand for my DLG!
I have removable plugs for placing the wing flat on top of the plug or on the L pegs for CG balancing.
The back of the stand allows the boom to lay between the plastic uprights and can be held tight at any angle with a few rubber bands.
If you leave a gap between the rubber bands about 1.5 inchs, you will allow the boom to tetter totter when balancing the CG. The plane stays secure on the stand With rubber bands front and back!
It was very easy to place the plane on the stand at the 85cg mark and then just move the ballast sticks in and out till I got them where I wanted them!
If you want more details on the stand let me know! It cost me under $20 to build that! Very strong and sturdy

May all your air be up air!
Feb 05, 2013, 01:09 PM
Nice work. I've done something similar, but not nearly as pretty. Its nice to have a few properly CGd Balist options for different conditions.
Feb 05, 2013, 06:56 PM
I like it. I was going to try making some ballast sticks for the B3 but was not sure what stick material to use. I am not sure if i can find the "Art Profolia" material you used but the copper pipe idea is Gold.
Can you tell me the thickness of the Art Profolio material?
Can you share with us the Length, and width at both ends of the store bought B3 ballast stick?
Thank you for sharing. You saved me hours.
Wayne
Feb 05, 2013, 06:58 PM
I also like your DLG stand also .. I think I will make one of them also.
Thanks.
wayne
Feb 06, 2013, 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daterry
First I went shopping for the parts I wanted - was looking for some type of thin plastic cover for note books and of course some lead! I wanted the lead in 1/2 oz pieces.
Found a great Portfolio Folder at the Craft store that was long enough for what I needed and the lead weights I got at Dicks Sporting Goods - total cost 13 dollars
I think I can make 5 of them with the weights I bought but there will be enough plastic sticks for probably 50 of them!!
Thank you very much the idea of ​​the drain pipe is very good and is immediately used

Ciao Heinz
Feb 06, 2013, 11:33 AM
AERO+
Nice work!!

Quick Reply