Sep 26, 2018, 09:14 AM
After a long rest in the wall rack, I took it up for a flight yesterday. It handled well, needed some up trim. Old Hobby People 4S 4500 lipo lost oomph after a few circuits of the field. Landing went well except it hit ground with wheel pants first instead of wheels and flipped over. Forgot to do what I have preached about, landing like a P-51 without flaps. No serious damage.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 26, 2018, 09:24 AM
Read the email that I sent you.
Sep 26, 2018, 02:30 PM
Gene suggested cutting away part of the bottom front of wheel spats. Maybe like on the PZ Stinson Reliant, still looks "scalish" but wheel spat is less likely to hit dirt or grass.
Oct 11, 2018, 06:35 AM
gorgeous with a capital guh.
how does the esc get its cooling
Aug 19, 2019, 07:30 PM
Ollumpy, if you are asking about infamous Maxford Gee Bee "E", there are some holes in the firewall that allow some cooling air to get to the speed control and battery pack after getting by the dummy radial cylinders. My flight times are 4-5 minutes so heating is has not been one of the many problems. I wish the model had been designed with a battery access hatch on top front of fuselage and a sturdier landing gear with some spring action. Gear legs bend backward and to the sides with hard landings, difficult to straighten with wheel pants glued to wings. Getting my Gee Bee ready to fly again after repairs broken stabilizer, etc. Now flying off of a smooth long strip , should have better results.
Aug 19, 2019, 07:55 PM
Y’all are making me miss mine....sometimes I wonder why I sold it. Then again, I’m a bigger fan of the R2 ;-) Well, anything Gee Bee is a winner in my book.
Aug 20, 2019, 11:38 AM
Hi Greg,

I'm kinda "frugal" , thinking of ordering a couple of Admiral 4000 mah 4S packs from Motion. My Heebie Geebie is the only large/heavy model that I have, or will probably have, that can use packs of this size/capacity. My old Hobby People 4500 4S packs have lost their punch and only give 4-5 minutes of cruise requiring 3/4 throttle. The Admiral 4000 packs are a little longer and a little heavier and higher C-rated, than the old HP's but may breath new life into the old girl. The Admiral's only cost $53 . Admiral 5000 packs are much heavier and larger than my old HP packs. My flying buddy Gene and I are flying out at the OCMA site in Black Starr canyon next to Irvine Lake. The takeoff and landing strip is smooth, paved and long enough for easier takeoffs and landings. Much better than the small hard dirt, weeds and pebble area in Fairview Park . The only problems are interruptions of flying due to fire dept helicopter training and shared use with other activity events .

I may have to remove the wheels and insert brass tubing to stop the wobble as mentioned by others. You might be interested in Charlie Pipes Gee Bee Sportster design,

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ee-Bee-Model-Y
Last edited by E-Challenged; Aug 20, 2019 at 11:53 AM.
Aug 22, 2019, 08:43 PM
Hey there, nice to talk to you,

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged
I'm kinda "frugal" , thinking of ordering a couple of Admiral 4000 mah 4S packs from Motion.
I havenít used any of them, but Iíve heard good things from some readers. I need a couple 6S packs and may give them a try next.

Quote:
My Heebie Geebee
That name kills me :-)

Quote:
is the only large/heavy model that I have, or will probably have, that can use packs of this size/capacity.
Iím cutting back on my big planes. Iíve sold all of my 10S and 12S planes. Of course that leaves me in pretty good shape for 6S packs. Or it did until I crashed my Hellcat and ruined the best of them.

Quote:
My flying buddy Gene and I are flying out at the OCMA site in Black Starr canyon next to Irvine Lake.
Iím a bit jealous of that 😀 Itís been so unbelievably hot in NC, I havenít flown in a couple of months. Between the weather and a death in the family, itís been a bad flying year.

Quote:
You might be interested in Charlie Pipes Gee Bee Sportster design,
Thanks for that, itís a nice looking build! Iím in the mood to build something, I did an Old Schools Model Works Comet a fee months ago and enjoyed getting back into some non-ARF stuff. Iíve got a Bristol M1C kit here I need to get busy on.

Greg
Aug 24, 2019, 11:09 AM
The two Admiral 4000mah 4S 40C packs arrived. They are almost the exact same size as the Hobby People 4500's so will fit the same in the Gee Bee. I need to repair and recover the rudder, shim the woobly wheels with brass tubing and take the wing off and inspect the rats nest of wiring and get it tied down out of the way for easy battery changing. Will incorporate my ingenious idea for securing Velcro battery straps while changing batteries like on my foamy Stinson Reliant. Look closely to see the white Velcro tabs that hold the ends of the Velcro battery straps .:cool

Will report back on performance with new Admiral lipo packs.
Aug 28, 2019, 12:26 AM

Maude

Wheel wobble cured: Brass tubing in my stash was too small inner diameter to fit over the Maxford axles. I found some old blue Nyrod that fits closely over the axles and snugly into the wheels, Small amount of wobble remains but no problem, I used a dab of blue Loctite on wheel collars Struggled with ring cowl/dummy radial mount repairs but finally got that in shape.

Ready to fly again, hopefully better with new 4S 40C 4000 mah lipos Maude Tait would be proud
Last edited by E-Challenged; Aug 28, 2019 at 12:33 AM.
Sep 20, 2019, 05:10 PM

Major Crash Today

Took it out to fly today after a number of repairs to tail feathers and dummy radial and cowl and motor mounts. Took off normally but immediately started porpoising as if I was flipping the elevators up and down. At the debris field, we found the culprit. The rear wing mount structure had come apart. Maxford still sells replacement parts, and I'd need about $100 worth to replace the dummy radial/cowl assembly and wheel fairings/spats. I will think about saying goodbye to my Heebie Geebie or extensively repairing it again.
Sep 20, 2019, 07:51 PM
That one is not a good flyer. I was there. I saw it porpoising like a devil. I suspect that the rear wing mount broke loose as a result of the nose first impact. Strip out the mechanicals and use them in a better plane. It started out with a warped wing and you’ve tried everything to correct it to no avail.
Sep 21, 2019, 10:18 AM
Maybe Gene is right, but loose rear wing mount is likely the cause, rather than the result , of wild porpoising and crash. Either way, major repairs again, with cost of replacement parts, is not logical or cost-effective. I have trouble giving up on a scale model.
Sep 26, 2019, 09:40 AM
I ordered a new ring cowl/dummy radial assembly and got it in two days. Wheel pants/gear fairings are out of stock and Maxford doesn't know when of if they will be back in stock. I need to make a new firewall and inset it into the front of fuselage , repair wheel pants as best I can and rebuild wing tips. Other minor stuff to fix. As I said, it's hard for me to give up , even though this Gee Bee will always be hard to fly without landing gear damage.
Sep 26, 2019, 10:01 AM
Is this the same plane as the Dynam Gee Bee? If so, check eBay.

Quick Reply