This thread is privately moderated by Castel101, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 05, 2013, 02:29 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Eflite F-4 Phantom

Eflite F-4 Phantom
Stumax & Drag chute

- Stumax 80mm EDF / HET 1738kv 700 60
- CC Phoenix lite 100A ESC
- 5300mah 6S, CC BEC PRO
- Drag chute mod!
- Tamjets struts
- Nose gear light

E-Flite F-4, Stumax + Drag chute (4 min 5 sec)
Last edited by Castel101; Jan 30, 2016 at 10:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 06, 2013, 07:34 PM
Addicted to my hobby
that's awesome!
Feb 08, 2013, 08:03 AM
Thread OP
Sweetrex thanks!
Feb 17, 2013, 11:00 AM
Zak

E-Flite Phantom F4 Drag chute

Hi
In first, congratulation for your work about the drag chute, and your explanations.
I have modified mine with your recommandations, and the system works very well, specially with a 6 channels radio.
I have only a little problem with the parachute size. Mine has a diameter of 45 cm and it's to big.
Can you give me the diameter of your parachute (at flat, undeployed).
Thank you for your appréciated help
Zak
Feb 17, 2013, 11:04 PM
Thread OP
Hi Zak,

Thanks for your comments. I measured my parachute, it's actually bigger than yours, at a little over 50cm. It's not scale but that was the one I got from Bananahobby.com, spare part for the Mig-29 kit. I'm glad you added it to your F-4! Don't forget to post a video of it so that we can see how it flies and how the chute works .

Ivan
Feb 18, 2013, 04:18 AM
Zak
Hi Ivan
Thank for your quick answer. How you fold the parachute, mine is in silk and it's a little to big for the allowed place.
I think the first fly will be programmed at beginning of april, waiting better weather without rain or to much wind.
I will inform you of the results.
Regards
Zak
Feb 21, 2013, 02:55 PM
Thread OP
Hi Zak,

I basically tried folding it in different ways to see which one allowed it to open consistently when deployed. This is the way it worked for me. I basically lay it down lengthwise and wrap it around two fingers. Then, with the strings I wrap it tight on one end and looser on the other. The loose side is the side I place on the tail cone, since it's a little bigger (more loosely wrapped with the strings) it stays in the cone "better" when it opens so that it deploys easier. If the parachute stays inside the fuselage it won't deploy, it has to fall with the tail cone. Here's a few pictures I took for you.
Feb 22, 2013, 03:54 AM
Zak
Hi
Thank you for all your information and pictures that I really appreciated.
See you soon
Zak
May 01, 2013, 02:25 PM
Will you explain the method you are using to deploy the chute? I am in the middle of an E flite F4 build and think this is a great idea. Are you using any other breaking system?Thanks Dan
Last edited by atc_dan; May 01, 2013 at 02:50 PM.
May 01, 2013, 03:30 PM
Thread OP
Sure, I can re-post what I posted previously in the Eflite F-4 thread.

This is how I did the parachute mod. I started by using Tam's suggestion for the elevator/rudder rear servo tray, found here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3#post21454858

My tray is made out of wood. I added a 9-gram servo, behind the rudder servo, to move a rod which opens the tail cone. I wanted a simple mechanism that allowed the cone to stay shut but that also was simple, requiring no additional links or levers, etc.. The pictures show what I came up with.

To close the tail cone I use a pair of curved tweezers to put the rubber band in the little wood block and then activate the switch so that the servo pushes the rod back locking it. I also added a small strip of thin film around the tail cone's opening so that it stays well in place when shut, also to prevent high speed air flowing inside the tail cone which would push the cone open.

This is the parachute I bought, $3.90 from Banana hobby which is used in one of their foam EDFs:

http://sitesearch.bananahobby.com/ps...achute&x=0&y=0

One last thing that may apply to you, you can skip this part if you have enough channels since it's a little bit long. I ran out of channels with my setup, unfortunately I didn't have a spare channel to handle the chute servo. What I did though was play with the retract Gear channel and found that I only needed a travel of about -60% to +60% to activate retracts up/down. That left me room from 60% to 125% maximum travel, so I attached the chute servo to the gear channel as well and adjusted the rod/pin length. With the gear up the rod is simply pushed further which is ok, further locking the rubber band. With the gear down (60% signal) the rod is pulled but it is still completely locking the rubber band. With a switch, and a mix I programmed in my radio, it drives the gear channel further, to 125% which pulls the pin all the way in, releasing the band and with no effect on the retracts since they are already down. This works well since it means the tail cone can be opened only with the gear down. Also, during flight with gear up, the pin is pushed out even further than needed for locking as explained above so if the chute servo fails or gets disconnected or something, there's a lot of travel it has to cover to pull the pin all the way in, the band keeps the pin in place so it's "safer".
Last edited by Castel101; May 01, 2013 at 03:57 PM.
Jun 17, 2013, 03:45 PM
Thread OP
A couple of additional pictures I took this weekend of the F-4!
Sep 14, 2013, 02:42 AM
Lol Idk
Wow.. that first photo is worthy of my desktop background O.O how is that 9g servo holding up? I've had two hxt900s fail on me
Sep 14, 2013, 04:47 AM
Thread OP
Thanks!

The 9g hxt-900 is holding up good. I had a 5 gram there before but that one stopped working so I went with the hxt. Hopefully it'll keep working good! I can't imagine what would happen if the parachute came out during flight .
Sep 25, 2014, 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castel101
A couple of additional pictures I took this weekend of the F-4!
Nice photos! I'm curious about your landing that you are using? You think that it would work on the HABU 32?

What model is it?
Sep 25, 2014, 10:23 AM
Thread OP
Hi Choopi, I'm assuming you are referring to the landing gear? I was using Shulman Aviation front retract/strut. I have since changed it to Tamjets struts with much better results, although a little more pricy that's what I would suggest. There's a version made for the Habu32.

Ivan
Last edited by Castel101; Jan 30, 2016 at 10:44 AM.

Quick Reply