Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Feb 04, 2013, 02:14 PM
ChrisMohrSr
Question

What Does It Take To Charge It?


This morning I successfully charged my MG Power 11.1v 2200mAh 15C Li Po battery on my Thunder Dual Power AC 680 digital balance charger.

I thought I would check it out and I connected it to my Walkera GA005 balance charger whereupon it charged for another half an hour before the little blinking red light turned green, verifying a complete charge.

My question is . . . . does this indicate a defect in my Thunder Charger or a defect in my Walkera charger or . . . . what?

Thanks to anyone who can explain this occurrence.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 04, 2013, 02:34 PM
Registered User
How many mah were put in during each charge? What were the voltages at the start and end of each charge? Nothing was said about how the first charger was set, so it could be almost anything so far.
Feb 04, 2013, 03:39 PM
Registered User
Probably it just indicates that if you keep trying to balance charge a fully charged battery many chargers will take quite a while to decide that it really is full and completely balanced. Some cheaper balance charger will actually have bled away some of the original charge before they finally decide.

That's why you check if a charger has done its job by measuring the battery voltage not by trying to charge the battery again .

Steve
Feb 05, 2013, 06:05 PM
ChrisMohrSr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H. View Post
How many mah were put in during each charge? What were the voltages at the start and end of each charge? Nothing was said about how the first charger was set, so it could be almost anything so far.
Most of this data are unobtainable because the Walkera charger is one of those small, almost faceless units that only have a blinking red light.
Feb 05, 2013, 10:09 PM
Registered User
ggcrandall1's Avatar
I would not trust any charger that only has a blinking light to indicate charge state. If you don't trust the AC680 then get a good voltage tester to verify the pack.

Glen
Feb 15, 2013, 11:08 AM
ChrisMohrSr
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
Probably it just indicates that if you keep trying to balance charge a fully charged battery many chargers will take quite a while to decide that it really is full and completely balanced. Some cheaper balance charger will actually have bled away some of the original charge before they finally decide.

That's why you check if a charger has done its job by measuring the battery voltage not by trying to charge the battery again .

Steve
Thanks Steve. What you say makes sense.
Maybe you can help me with another situation. I have a Walkera UFO 5# with camera that was mostly destroyed in a crash. However, the camera remained intact. I would like to install that camera on another quad, but when it is installed on the UFO 5# it is turned on and off by my Devo 7 TX. If I install it on another quad and supply the 5 volts power, will it simply just remain turned on?

I will greatly appreciate any step by step instructions for installing this camera on another quadrocopter.

ChrisMohrSr
Feb 15, 2013, 11:29 AM
Registered User
302 Z28's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
I would not trust any charger that only has a blinking light to indicate charge state. If you don't trust the AC680 then get a good voltage tester to verify the pack.

Glen
X2 and you need a readout from the charger on each cells voltage to make sure none rise above 4.2V. I also never charge a LIPO wothout a temperature probe taped to the LIPO. Hi temp cutoff is set for 105F to 110F (40C to 43C).

Vince


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Does charging at a higher amperage lessen battery life jasper7821 Batteries and Chargers 16 Jan 30, 2013 04:44 AM
Discussion How long does it take to train a military force ? radix2 Life, The Universe, and Politics 25 Jan 16, 2013 09:05 PM
Discussion interesting info on understanding what does what when you take a picture FiremanJoe Aerial Photography 0 Sep 21, 2005 08:48 AM
Question How long does it take to charge your LiPo? neuroblade Batteries and Chargers 24 Jul 26, 2005 01:24 PM
what does it take to charge nimh mattijs321 Batteries and Chargers 1 Mar 09, 2005 09:02 AM