This thread is privately moderated by peterswolf, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 03, 2013, 01:39 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Dynam F4U Corsair (50″)

A gift from my Mother and Stepdad for Christmas 2012!

Specifications:
Wingspan: 1270mm
Fuselage Length: 1066mm
Wing loading: 50g/dm2
Flying weight: 1650g
Best Flying Conditions: 5mph to 10mph winds
Center of Gravity: 85mm
Battery: 4S 2500mah 25C
RCGroups Discussion Link
Last edited by peterswolf; Feb 14, 2013 at 10:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2013, 01:40 PM
Thread OP

Originally Posted 01/05/2013

I found some free time between Christmas and the New Year to assemble my nice new Corsair. It was a really easy build, a little glue on the tail feathers and to join the main wing and the rest bolted together. I had a few problems getting the motor to arm, but that was resolved by reversing the throttle channel on my transmitter and setting the ESC timing to high. So after letting the glue dry overnight I was able to make it out to the field for the maiden flight. I set my dual rates to 50% on rudder and aileron, but left the elevator alone. She tracked straight own the runway and flew perfectly. She was a little twitchy on the elevator, I would have been smarter to set that to half rates as well, but it was easily manageable. Landing was a breeze, even without a breeze, she came in slow and easy, again tracking straight down the runway. I found I didnít even need to trim her in the air, she glided very nicely and was very responsive. The power system is more than adequate for my scale like flying style. I never went up past 3/4 throttle during the whole flight. Hereís a couple of pictures, one during build and one complete ready for maiden.
Feb 14, 2013, 10:30 AM
Thread OP

Melted Motor Mount Fixed

So after melting my motor mount on the bench by running the motor at full throttle for somewhere around 20-30 seconds, I fixed her up with blind nuts and gorilla glue to help. Using some long bolts I when through the existing holes into the battery tray and underneath into the esc area. I basically did a dry run of each bolt with the blind nut first to make sure it would grab in good. I then proceed to coat each blind nut with gorilla glue and then tied them all down. It was a little messy at first but after cleanup it looks good. It will be a pain however if I ever need to remove the motor at a later date, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I was able to fly her again after completeing the repairs a couple weeks ago. I'm happy to report my fix did the trick, motor is in there solid, didn't notice any difference in flight characteristics. Both flights were around 4 and a half minutes and the motor was barely warm to the touch at the end of each flight. So happy that she's back to normal. I still can't believe how easy she lands. It almost looks like she just glides onto the runway and gently puts her tail down all on her own. I set up for a bit of a lengthy glide path and just cruise her in slowly and it looks so great, always get compliments at the field when landing this one.

Quick Reply