Mar 03, 2013, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bixler13 View Post
Wow! That's a great flight! Glad you love the plane. How come you cut the video and didn't include the landing?
Only because I had to fly around for a 3-4 min while my neighbor reversed his trailer down his driveway and I use the street as a runway/landing strip and I thought that would be boring watching me fly in circles.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 09, 2013, 08:48 PM
Forever a noob
removed
Last edited by SuperJ; Mar 10, 2013 at 06:33 PM.
Mar 15, 2013, 08:49 PM
If I build it, it will fly
Well.... Tossed the wing, or rather had a friend do it for me LoL.

WS 50"
Center 10"x10"
TS 5"
Sweep 8"
Auw 900gr

It did indeed need a nose pod so the Batt could go forward enough to hit a 4" cog...

My motor was slow to spin up &, unfortunately, I forgot this... 10' later the wing has no nose... Will build another with better sweep.

~psguardian
Mar 17, 2013, 07:28 AM
Hello...

Im trying to bulid the same wing but i cant understand the measures to the center of the former... here is a pic. of what i need:

Can any one help?

Regards.
Mar 18, 2013, 08:11 AM
Scratch builder
Thread OP
The former placement is marked on the plans. The distance from the leading edge to the center of the former is 3.33 inches at the root and 1.7 inches at the tip.
Mar 19, 2013, 05:51 AM
I finally got around to changing the vertical stabilizers and they made a huge difference to the yaw drifting of the wing.
I don't know if you guys are having any problems with yaw drifting or if it is because I have so much weight in my wing.
I am going to build another wing and add 50mm (2") to the root chord of the wing and 25mm(1") to the tip.
That will give me more lift without creating any extra drag and make even more economical and also fly at a slower speed without stalling.
I will keep you posted when I am done.
Mar 29, 2013, 05:27 AM
rodent

flying fury flyer in Saudi...

I made one...it took a while to dial in the CG and I'm still not sure I got it. I have a ton of up elevator trimmed in. This is one tough airframe. I crashed it numerous times and once shorted the esc and it fell out of the sky cartwheeling across the ground. I put in a new esc and was flying it again the next day.
The center area is covered with a sheet of plastic that just tapes down in the back. The leading edge in the middlefolds down to create the battery tray. At first I tried with 2 2200mah batteries in the front compartment. It required full up elevon just to fly straight. I took out one of the batteries and it's much better.
Mar 29, 2013, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_wilson_rowe View Post
I made one...it took a while to dial in the CG and I'm still not sure I got it. I have a ton of up elevator trimmed in. This is one tough airframe. I crashed it numerous times and once shorted the esc and it fell out of the sky cartwheeling across the ground. I put in a new esc and was flying it again the next day.
The center area is covered with a sheet of plastic that just tapes down in the back. The leading edge in the middlefolds down to create the battery tray. At first I tried with 2 2200mah batteries in the front compartment. It required full up elevon just to fly straight. I took out one of the batteries and it's much better.
Hi,
Is all the red are your control surface?
If so how big art they as they look huge.
As for the up trim, my wing only uses about 3mm (1/8") up trim when flying in the level position so it sounds like your CG is to far forward.
I like the idea of the clear plastic cover as it looks cool. Nice work!
Mar 29, 2013, 02:40 PM
rodent
Thanks,
When I had the 2 batteries in the front with the clear plastic cover it looked like headlights.
About 2/3 of the red is elevon. - it's 2 inches measured perpendicular from the trailing edge.
I'll try shifting the cg more back by putting in a smaller battery and see what happens. I have a 1300 mah I can try instead of the 2200. I must have crashed the thing 6 times that first day trying to get the up trim and CG sorted out.
Mar 29, 2013, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuz14 View Post
Hi,
Is all the red are your control surface?
If so how big art they as they look huge.
As for the up trim, my wing only uses about 3mm (1/8") up trim when flying in the level position so it sounds like your CG is to far forward.
I like the idea of the clear plastic cover as it looks cool. Nice work!

Hello...

What measures should the ailerons be for this wing?

Thanks
Apr 02, 2013, 07:24 AM
Scratch builder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisticRaider View Post
Hello...

What measures should the ailerons be for this wing?

Thanks
Mine are two inches deep and barely need any up trim for level flight. Your CG could be off or your servos could be too weak...
Apr 11, 2013, 03:15 PM
rodent
I can't believe how tough this plane is. It can really take a hit. I keep stalling out on final glide. My flare always ends up as a balloon up followed by a stall. Sometimes I can go to full power and manage a go-around other times I can't recover.
Under power and at speed it's trimmed well and flyes fine, but when I slow it down it gets really twitchey and wants to pull up into a high alpha and stall. Is this saying that my CG needs to go forward a bit more? I'll try a stabilizer tomorrow. I need to sort this out before I install the camera etc...
Apr 11, 2013, 11:04 PM
rodent
interesting thought about weak servos, I'm just using the 9 gram cheapos. possibly at speed the servos are not strong enough to hold thefull up trim at cruse speed, but when I slow to land they are... doubtful though.
Apr 12, 2013, 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_wilson_rowe View Post
interesting thought about weak servos, I'm just using the 9 gram cheapos. possibly at speed the servos are not strong enough to hold thefull up trim at cruse speed, but when I slow to land they are... doubtful though.
As for your servos I am using the 9 gram servos on my wing and it works perfect.
With your wing wanting to go into high alpha at low speed seems like your motor angle needs to be adjusted down a little bit and at high speed the airfoil should help hold the wing at a level flight.
I might be wrong but it is worth a try but I know 9g servos are strong enough have a look at my video of the FPV wing doing a 20km round trip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=x349hlZPKjw
Last edited by stuz14; Apr 12, 2013 at 07:30 AM.
Apr 13, 2013, 12:01 AM
Scratch builder
Thread OP

The 35 inch version is here!!!

I finally got to building the 35 inch scaled down version of the fury flyer. It looks absolutely amazing and i hope it flies as well as it looks.

Here is a comparison of the two fury fliers. The 54 inch version is on top and the 35 inch is on the bottom.

I don't have any artistic skills so I just went with the tape stripes so I could see the orintation in the air. I have not coverd this one with tape yet but plan too. (If it flies well)

My goal for this plane was to achieve some fast speeds. I would like to get this think to a hundred although i probobly wont with this motor. I will be happy if I can get it too 70mph. I am using the Turnigy 2826 2200kv motor with a 5x5 prop. To reduce as much drag as i could i put the servos completely inside the wing as shown bellow.

It is a very tight fit for all the electronics but i managed to get it all in there. I am using a 40 amp BIRDIE esc and a 3s 2200 battery. The hatch uses velcro on the back to stay closed.

The all up weight is 491 grams. I scaled up the vertical stab size becuase people were saying that the small size of the original stabs causes yaw motion. The plans can be found on the first page. I will fly it soon and let you know how it goes!

Quick Reply