Feb 11, 2013, 11:18 PM
If I build it, it will fly
Peel all the inner paper & everything on top behind the L.E. Leave the vert stabs & underside papered for durability sake, since it can obviously handle the weight penalty LoL.

~psguardian
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2013, 06:00 PM
Excellent Work Bix!
Could you describe the motor mount in some more detail? Can't quite make out how you made it.
Feb 12, 2013, 06:02 PM
Also noticed you mounted the GoPro slightly offset. Any particular reason why?
Feb 12, 2013, 08:18 PM
Scratch builder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklandia
Also noticed you mounted the GoPro slightly offset. Any particular reason why?
I will take pictures of the motor mound and show post them on here. I mounted the gopro offset because I need to put a battery next to it in order to get the correct cg. Also gives me a little bit more room for fpv equipment when I decide to put it in there.
Feb 12, 2013, 08:25 PM
Scratch builder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricklandia
Excellent Work Bix!
Could you describe the motor mount in some more detail? Can't quite make out how you made it.
All it is is two pieces of 1/2 inch foam glued together and then rounded on one side. And then a piece of plywood was added to one side that the motor was screwed into.

Feb 14, 2013, 01:36 PM
cheapskate extroardinairé
awesome wing, will be building one soon. hopefully it lasts longer than my last foamboard fpv plane =P
Feb 17, 2013, 05:13 PM
I have a wing almost ready for electronics

http://j.mp/Z8JL1K (weight is a light est)

10"x10" center
20" wing sections
6" tip chord
1/2" oak dowel A-frame
Tab-in-slot light ply motor mount
1100kv turning a 9x6 or 10x5
3s 2200mah 40c
14g MG servos

~psguardian
Last edited by psguardian; Feb 17, 2013 at 05:19 PM.
Feb 17, 2013, 08:58 PM
Everything is Upgradeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psguardian
I have a wing almost ready for electronics

http://j.mp/Z8JL1K (weight is a light est)

10"x10" center
20" wing sections
6" tip chord
1/2" oak dowel A-frame
Tab-in-slot light ply motor mount
1100kv turning a 9x6 or 10x5
3s 2200mah 40c
14g MG servos

~psguardian
i think its gonna be too tail heavy.
Feb 17, 2013, 09:04 PM
If I can't get a 4" CoG naturally I have some ballast I can set in the nose. Or I can re-cut the wings for a deeper sweep. I'm hoping my 204gr lipo on the nose will make a dent in the cog.

~psguardian
Feb 21, 2013, 03:16 PM
Hey Bixler, great job on your wing!
did you see BajiWing thread by any chance? There were a lot of swept, tapered wings with variable airfoils as well as some cool ideas shared by other users.
Feb 27, 2013, 08:23 AM
Hi Bixler13,
I have just done a 10.5km out and 10.5km back home flight with your wing 54" wing that I built last week.
Video will be on You tube soon look under the user name "stuz steve" There is one video there called 10Kms FPV flight out and 10Kms back NOTE: that is another plane and not this one.
I have to say that I was very impressed on how efficient the wing is as I done the flight using only 67% of the battery.
Only sitting just under half throttle for most of the flight the wing averaged a speed of 30-40kms and climbed to a total height of 2250m as I was on a steady climb nearly the entire flight until I got about 3kms from home and then glided the rest of the way in a semi steep dive .
The wing is unbelievably very floaty in the air and in other flights when testing it I found a good glide ratio of 1km to every 120-130m fall.
The only thing I am going to try to change is to add a bit more to the top of the vertical stabilizers as the wing had a slight tendency the drift a bit in the yaw.
Other than that there are no nasty surprises at all with this wing at all and I will report back to let you know if the vertical stabilizers make any difference.
My setup
5000mah turnigy 3s 20c lipo for motor
1000mah for video, OSD
Turnigy 2836 1100kv
9x6 SF prop
2.4 Ghz 1000mw video Tx with clover leaf antenna
Cyclops Nova OSD (cheap but does the job for testing new planes. Will install Eagle Tree next week)
Dragon link receiver in the wing
Helical video Rx antenna
Cheers from Australia and keep up the excellent work.
Steve
Last edited by stuz14; Mar 01, 2013 at 04:17 AM.
Feb 27, 2013, 11:44 PM
Scratch builder
Thread OP
Great!! I cant wait to see your video!! How long was your flight that only 67% of your battery?

Sorry for taking long on the build video. I have been doing lots of school work lately and haven't had the any free time. I will try to complete the video this weekend but no guarantees. I still have to figure out how to get a good key on my green screen.
Mar 01, 2013, 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bixler13
Great!! I cant wait to see your video!! How long was your flight that only 67% of your battery?

Sorry for taking long on the build video. I have been doing lots of school work lately and haven't had the any free time. I will try to complete the video this weekend but no guarantees. I still have to figure out how to get a good key on my green screen.
The total flight time was approx 34 min.
I am going to upload a flight I done today that was the same as the other one I mentioned as the camera has a better picture than the one used in the first flight which has been crashed a few times on another planes and is very washed out.
With this flight the only difference is that I pushed the wing to full throttle from 1600m to about 2000m and climbed a bit steeper witch used a little more of the battery but I still only used a total of 76% of the battery 9% more than the last flight.
I tried to use the PA mode on this osd but the wing went crazy every time i used it. That is what you get for not calibrating the censer before you take off lol.

This wing is UN-believable.

I will try to upload the video this week end.

CHEERS!
Last edited by stuz14; Mar 01, 2013 at 04:45 AM.
Mar 01, 2013, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bixler13

The Video of the flight has just been uploaded.
The quality is crappy due to my cheap $16 H,King camera but you can see how efficient the wing is.

Here is the link.
10.3 Kms there & 10.3 Kms back with my foam board 54" FPV flying wing (12 min 27 sec)

Cheers
Mar 02, 2013, 07:28 PM
Scratch builder
Thread OP
Wow! That's a great flight! Glad you love the plane. How come you cut the video and didn't include the landing?

Quick Reply