Feb 11, 2013, 12:44 AM
Is it this one ?
You were right : this foam board is used for kind of "decoration" in schools

http://www.dollartree.com/teachers-s...?method=search

Is the black due to the paper color on one side ?
Last edited by tshado; Feb 11, 2013 at 12:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2013, 12:52 AM
deleted
Feb 11, 2013, 01:37 AM
Scratch builder
Thread OP
Do not get the black foam board. The paper does not come off as easy as the white foamboard.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1400577
This is the foam you want to get
http://m.dollartree.com/mt/www.dolla...6450/index.pro
Feb 11, 2013, 06:22 AM
I found that in the details of the url you gave me :
"Each board begins with a 3/16" polystyrene foam core, laminated on either side with heavy Kraft paper. Perfect for matting/mounting photos and artwork, sign making, craft projects, presentations, exhibits, displays, and more! Case includes 50 - 20x30" white foam boards."

So I'll now have to go to a similar kind of shop in France :-)
Feb 11, 2013, 07:11 PM
Everything is Upgradeable.
electronics inside the wing weaken it significantly. you can build a foam box inside for electronics. otherwise i advise against it. try 3/4" height at root for a flush look.
Feb 11, 2013, 08:42 PM
Scratch builder
Thread OP
How would the electronics inside the wing weaken it significantly? Are you talking about weakening the signal strength of the electronics or the strength of the wing?
Feb 11, 2013, 08:57 PM
Scratch builder
Thread OP
The 35 inch build video is coming! Here is the video studio I set up this weekend!

And here is the 35 inch fury flyer in progress! I can't wait to finish it!

Sorry for the horrible picture quality. The camera I usually use for photos is on the tripod and set up perfect for the greenscreen. I didnt want to move it.
Feb 11, 2013, 09:04 PM
KlonWarz
ok.... tell us abt your green screen, Bix...
rc
Feb 11, 2013, 09:46 PM
Scratch builder
Thread OP
Well i'm not sure its going to work as planned, but my goal is produce the effect of having other things behind me such as flight video, pictures of products used in builds, or just simple backgrounds etc. The frame for the green screen is made out of 1/2 inch PVC pipe and joined together to create a simple stand. It measures 7 feet wide and 6 feet tall. A 7 foot by 48 inch piece of green fabric runs from one end to the other. For those of you that don't know what a green screen is: A green screen is used behind the object and then the green color is then keyed out and digitally replaced with other video/picture.
Feb 11, 2013, 10:12 PM
If I build it, it will fly
I'd be interested to see what the scale says, just your electronics come out to be 725gr+. Add DTFB paper-on plus tape (~175gr if you cover one side), spars & glue.... You're probly over 1kg, but it does fly very well.

I have some gear aching to get into an airframe, a blunt nose flying wing looks like a good candidate.

~psguardian
Feb 11, 2013, 10:28 PM
Scratch builder
Thread OP
I'm not sure on the weight because I don't own a scale. I thought the plane was going to be too heavy to fly. I used Team Black Sheep's zephyr as inspiration that it would. Team Black Sheep flies a 54 inch wing with an AUW at 2.2kg. With out seeing them I would have tried to reduce the weight in as many places as possible. Then I maidened it and found out it's actually is a challenge to bring to the ground because it just wants to keep on flying.
Feb 11, 2013, 10:38 PM
Everything is Upgradeable.
You creat stress points at the corners of each cut. Also adds flex in same area. The top section is the one that can get a crack first. Weight for that size in foam should come out to about 700g max with electronics.
Feb 11, 2013, 10:42 PM
Scratch builder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by postalflyer72 View Post
You creat stress points at the corners of each cut. Also adds flex in same area. The top section is the one that can get a crack first. Weight for that size in foam should come out to about 700g max with electronics.
For the 54 inch or the 35 inch?
Feb 11, 2013, 10:49 PM
If I build it, it will fly
The lift provided by that foil makes the model, plus the spars. If you do build another wing, pull all the paper off (cuts weight nearly in half), tape skin the outside only (packing tape weighs almost as much a the paper, but you gain flex without taring & water proofing), and only one Batt. Those changes will allow for a weight of about 505gr in electronics (including the gopro), then your airframe.

~psguardian
Feb 11, 2013, 11:11 PM
Scratch builder
Thread OP
I might try that next time. The only problem I have with removing the paper is the foam is so brittle underneath. Even carrying the plane would put indentations in the foam from your fingers so i can just imagine what landing it on rough surfaces would do to it!

Quick Reply