Feb 07, 2013, 10:05 PM
Scratch builder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by postalflyer72 View Post
Bixler that is a beauty. i have been flying a similar that i scratch made a month ago. i can give you details and you pick and choose what you might want to use. here is a picture.
Hey I like your design! I'm looking at scaling down the Fury Flyer for a more park flyer approach so I have a few questions regarding your airframe.
What is your wingspan on your wing?
What is your airfoil height?
What motor are you using and what kind of speeds and flight time are you getting?
Thanks,
Brett
to remove ads between posts
Feb 08, 2013, 10:48 AM
KlonWarz
Bob, the end of your Ax-1 vid is only Dot-in-Sky for me... what is it that made you decide you needed re-enforcement??? I couldn't tell from the vid.
Are there a planform for the ax-1 posted anywhere around here?
Tnx
rc
Feb 10, 2013, 10:57 AM
Scratch builder
Thread OP
Would anybody be interested in 35 inch plans?
Feb 10, 2013, 01:56 PM
KlonWarz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bixler13 View Post
Would anybody be interested in 35 inch plans?
Well, Yes!

$store foam sheets come 20x30" so it might work...

I hope to work with 40 & 60 spans to make best use of the sheets.
No clue if I can even get FFF around here...
rc
Feb 10, 2013, 09:46 PM
Scratch builder
Thread OP
35 inch plans added in first post!! Check them out! I will be working on a build video throughout the week.
Feb 10, 2013, 10:21 PM
Hi Bixler13,
I like very much your homebuilt Fury Flyer- 54" !!
I would like to build one and try dlying wing and later in FPV on it
I am in France and need to see if I can find similar material to your "dollartree foamboard" here
Do you know what kind of material is it ?
Is it EPP ?
Regards,
JC
Feb 10, 2013, 11:09 PM
It's definitely hard to see, but the wing separated from the fuselage and they both fluttered to the ground maple seed style! I added a carbon fiber arrow shaft as reinforcement.
Feb 10, 2013, 11:58 PM
Everything is Upgradeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bixler13 View Post
Hey I like your design! I'm looking at scaling down the Fury Flyer for a more park flyer approach so I have a few questions regarding your airframe.
What is your wingspan on your wing?
What is your airfoil height?
What motor are you using and what kind of speeds and flight time are you getting?
Thanks,
Brett
I just saw this post. Wingspan is 46" but will be cut down to a 42". Reason is that a 2200 3s lipo is a hair tail heavy and flight times now are 15min. Plan to do closer to 20min on a single lipo. Airfoil height on that one is 3/4" at center but plan to go back to my usual 1/2". It has a bit much dihedral and I plan to flatten it next one made. Reason was center piece was not wide enough with all the things added to middle of it. Motor is equivalent park 480 910kv buy mine is about 1100kv. Prop slow flyer 9x6. Has 1/8" plywood wider than square center but only 2" up. Cf arrow in front of wood and foam from 1/2" down to 1/4" at tips. I recommend wood plate for lipo with flat carbon front and left of it. Will post another build when I redo it.
Feb 11, 2013, 12:17 AM
Scratch builder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshado View Post
Hi Bixler13,
I like very much your homebuilt Fury Flyer- 54" !!
I would like to build one and try dlying wing and later in FPV on it
I am in France and need to see if I can find similar material to your "dollartree foamboard" here
Do you know what kind of material is it ?
Is it EPP ?
Regards,
JC
I don't know if you will find any similar foam over there in France. This foam board has a paper covering on it that makes it pretty rigid. I'm not sure what foam it its but you might be able to use 6mm depron or similar material.
Feb 11, 2013, 12:20 AM
Scratch builder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by postalflyer72 View Post
I just saw this post. Wingspan is 46" but will be cut down to a 42". Reason is that a 2200 3s lipo is a hair tail heavy and flight times now are 15min. Plan to do closer to 20min on a single lipo. Airfoil height on that one is 3/4" at center but plan to go back to my usual 1/2". It has a bit much dihedral and I plan to flatten it next one made. Reason was center piece was not wide enough with all the things added to middle of it. Motor is equivalent park 480 910kv buy mine is about 1100kv. Prop slow flyer 9x6. Has 1/8" plywood wider than square center but only 2" up. Cf arrow in front of wood and foam from 1/2" down to 1/4" at tips. I recommend wood plate for lipo with flat carbon front and left of it. Will post another build when I redo it.
I am currently making the scaled down wing. I would like to have all the electronics and battery enclosed inside the wing but i'm not sure that is possible because the airfoil cant be too high. I noticed you didn't put your electronics inside the plane. Did you just do that for testing or was there just not enough room inside?
Feb 11, 2013, 12:20 AM
Bixler13
Just to help me finding it, can you please tell me for what purpose this foam boad is used ?
It's sold in an hardware store in the US ?
Thx for your answer
Feb 11, 2013, 12:25 AM
Scratch builder
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshado View Post
Bixler13
Just to help me finding it, can you please tell me for what purpose this foam boad is used ?
It's sold in an hardware store in the US ?
Thx for your answer
I use it for many reasons, the main reason being it is very cheap. It is only a dollar for a 20x30inch sheet. It can be found in DollarTree stores, or can be ordered online. Many planes can be built with around 3 sheets so essentially, 3 bucks and you have yourself a new air frame. It is pretty rigid with the paper left on but can be formed into almost anything once the paper is removed.
Feb 11, 2013, 12:29 AM
Oups....
I was asking about the original purpose for which they are being sold in a hardware store.
I suppose insulation ??
Feb 11, 2013, 12:31 AM
Scratch builder
Thread OP
I think they can be used as boards for art. I see many kids in my school use them as posters too.
Feb 11, 2013, 12:38 AM
Thanks bixler, I'll look also at dollarTree store on the web

Quick Reply