Blade 130X Hybrid Tail with Slipper Clutch - RC Groups
Feb 03, 2013, 04:28 AM
Seeking Control
Mini-HowTo

Blade 130X Hybrid Tail with Slipper Clutch

Blade 130X Hybrid Tail with Slipper Clutch

By using the Walkera V120D02S tail case, tail cone gear set, and tail fin the Livonia Slipper clutch will work on the Blade 130X. My experience shows that this modification also removes the spool up vibrations inherent with the 130X. After the mod I was able to remove all tape from the blades.

This uses the original 130X tail shaft, blades, grips, pitch slider, slider arm, bearings and shaft collar.

Parts required:
HM-V120D02S-Z-13 Walkera Tail Case
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HM-V120D02S-...item43ad1cd14c
HM-V120D02S-Z-11 Walkera Tail Cone Gear Set
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HM-V120D02S-...item43af3b634b
HM-V120D02S-Z-17 Walkera Tail Fin
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HM-V120D02S-...item460a12197b
M1.4x4 Flat Head Self Tap Tail Fin Screws (2)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HM-V120D02S-...item43b2688a0a
Livonia Slipper Clutch Kit (Tail Shaft will not be used)
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1577528

References:
Horizon Hobby Rear Tail Gear Assembly and Repair
Blade 130 X Rear Tail Gear Repair (15 min 37 sec)

Note: The Blade tail gear reference is A, B, C and D working from front to rear while the Walkera reference is only A, B and C because they don’t have a separate tail gear on the main shaft. Theirs is driven from the main gear.

1) Remove tail shaft collar, disconnect slider links from the blade grips and remove the shaft, gear and spacer from the gear holder.
2) Remove the C gear, torque tube and B gear.
3) Disconnect the servo push rod from the pitch lever and the tail case from the boom by pulling with a good amount of force.

Note: The tail will rotate in the opposite direction after installing the new V120 gear on the opposite end of the shaft. Because of this the blade grips and slider links will needed to be flipped.

4) Remove one of the tail blades and using a small soldering iron heat the head of the blade grip screw. Carefully remove the heated screw. With a loose blade grip rotate them to flip the arms around each other. Apply Loctite and re-install the blade grip screw.
5) Remove the pitch slide lever from the Blade tail case and install it on the Walkera tail case.
6) Remove, flip and re-install the two slider links.
7) Remove the 3 bearings from the Blade tail case and install them into the Walkera tail case.
8) Install the Walkera tail case onto the tail boom ensuring it’s fully seated. Install the new Walkera “B” gear, middle diameter one from the set, torque tube and Blade front “B” metal gear. See the Horizon Hobby, referenced above, for instructions on installing the front gear.
9) Round out the D shape hole in the Walkera “C” gear, large diameter gear, using the tail shaft. It’s not advisable to perform this with a drill bit as for the hole will become off centered.
10) Install the tail shaft into the pitch slider and first bearing. Next slide on the shaft collar and tube from the slipper clutch. The collar flat end should go against the tube. Lastly install the rounded out gear and the shaft into the bearing.
11) Install the Blade outer shaft collar and adjust clutch as mentioned in the Slipper Clutch instructions.
12) Lengthen the tail push rod until the top of the pitch slider arm is parallel to the boom. Connect the rod.
13) Install the Walkera tail fin using two M1.4x4 flat head self-taping screws.
Last edited by lasakro; Feb 03, 2013 at 04:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 06, 2013, 07:49 PM
Heli collector
I just now happen to find this thread.. If anyone wants to try this let me know as I can supply just the collar, set screw, Allen wrench and two cut to length fuel line prices for a lot less than buying the whole slipper clutch kit for the V120D02S. And shipping should be cheap as I'll not have to worry about the USPS bending the shaft. Bob

slipperclutch@mi.rr.com
Mar 06, 2013, 08:28 PM
Seeking Control
Hi Bob,
I hope you don't mind the product endorsement but you know I'm a big fan of it on the V120D02S. One evening sitting here with my new 130X and stripped gears and two V120's with clutches I said to myself there must be a way to make it work. Well it does and just as solid as the V120.
Bob
Mar 06, 2013, 09:04 PM
Heli collector
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasakro
Hi Bob,
I hope you don't mind the product endorsement but you know I'm a big fan of it on the V120D02S. One evening sitting here with my new 130X and stripped gears and two V120's with clutches I said to myself there must be a way to make it work. Well it does and just as solid as the V120.
Bob

Your idea is one of the ways I was going to make them for the 130X. But just didn't want to get involved in supplying all the extra parts needed to make up a kit... But just supplying the drilled and taped collar, set screw and tubing if this helps solve the problem will be OK as long as the flat on the 130's shaft is deep enough that the set screw does't stick out and kiss the gear.
Mar 06, 2013, 09:22 PM
Seeking Control
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob
Your idea is one of the ways I was going to make them for the 130X. But just didn't want to get involved in supplying all the extra parts needed to make up a kit... But just supplying the drilled and taped collar, set screw and tubing if this helps solve the problem will be OK as long as the flat on the 130's shaft is deep enough that the set screw does't stick out and kiss the gear.
There are no interference's. Guys on the 130 thread are still struggling with stripped gears. I mentioned it but no takers yet. I'm enjoying mine after 20+ flights and no vib.
Mar 16, 2013, 03:09 AM
asp
asp
do you have issues flying 3D?
Mar 16, 2013, 05:21 PM
Seeking Control
Quote:
Originally Posted by asp
do you have issues flying 3D?
If the tension isn't enough you just tight up on it.
Dec 31, 2014, 01:04 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
Just had mine all back together with a new stock tail case set & broke tail case where pitch lever connects just by popping off rudder servo control link. I just ordered a new V120d02s tail gear holder & step bearings to do the mod. Previously ordered metal blade C & D gears which I planned on using next D hole failure. What does every one think about this? Do the mod with the V120d02s tail gear holder & metal blade C & D gears but leave the rest with original 130X tail shaft, blades, grips, pitch slider, slider arm and shaft collar but without swapping tail blade grips around.
Dec 31, 2014, 01:18 PM
Seeking Control
No real feedback from anyone. I sold all my micros to concentrate on my two 480's. Before I sent the 130 packing I was running all metal gears which worked great for me. You should remember that almost a year has passed since this was posted and at that time our only choice was plastic gears. The main reason I steered away from this was flying last winter in flurries. Water really made that slipper clutch slippery
Dec 31, 2014, 01:19 PM
HOBBYKING RIP OFF. “This company is a total rip off. Paid over $73.00 for items and got email next day to say everything was ok and they would be sending me tracking number. Then 2 days pass, not sending unless they get more money, some courier outfit sent me email looking vat which i have already paid. On live chat can't tell me when i will receive refund. Had to contact paypal, so hopefully not to long”
Dec 31, 2014, 01:27 PM
Seeking Control
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt1507
HOBBYKING RIP OFF. “This company is a total rip off. Paid over $73.00 for items and got email next day to say everything was ok and they would be sending me tracking number. Then 2 days pass, not sending unless they get more money, some courier outfit sent me email looking vat which i have already paid. On live chat can't tell me when i will receive refund. Had to contact paypal, so hopefully not to long”
So how does it relate to the topic of this thread?
Dec 31, 2014, 03:35 PM
Heli Crash Survivor
Comparing my V120 tail case to the 130x the 130x is wider between step bearings. So looks like no way to use 130x tail gears in a V120 tail case. Think I'm just going to use a full V120 tail with tail blades on left side of frame & reverse blade grips. Due to how all the 130x tail parts appear much more brittle/more easily to break.
Dec 31, 2014, 09:39 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasakro
So how does it relate to the topic of this thread?
Report the post to the mods.