Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 01, 2013, 10:55 PM
Help!

Tips on painting a RC car body shell please?

I have a tamiya tt01 body shell that I'm going to paint, the main question that I want to ask is, how do I mask the light's areas(headlight,turning signal lights etc.) so after painting it's still clear and I can put some LED unit in it?

Hum, or maybe use some liquid masking products?

Update: more questions!

So today I finally get to use the Tamiya spray paint. I decided to do it outdoor, up in the mountain...I guess it wasn't a smart choice, those random wind didn't go to one direction, but rather going random directions =.= so basically some paint was coming to my face, and apparently my 3M face mask couldn't do much about it. Those horrible sharp smell is killing me>.<

Any ideal location for doing the paint job you guys would recommend? Garage? Open space with no crazy wind?

Also and alternative way to protect me? A wet towel?
PS: I wear normal contact glasses, is that enough protecting for my eyes? or I should probably use goggle?
Last edited by lawjie; Mar 08, 2013 at 08:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2013, 01:05 AM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
For most headlights/taillights, masking tape are fine.

For some curved headlights though, you can brush on a coat of plastidip.
Just make sure it is fully cured before you start spraying paint on it.
Feb 03, 2013, 09:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SporadicIdiocy View Post
For most headlights/taillights, masking tape are fine.

For some curved headlights though, you can brush on a coat of plastidip.
Just make sure it is fully cured before you start spraying paint on it.
I'm planning to buy this- Parma PSE FasMask Liquid Body Paint Mask (4oz)

o.o any thoughts?
Feb 03, 2013, 11:44 PM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
Yea that will work. Probably better than plastidip lol. From what I read, you need to apply a few coats before they'll peel off clean and smooth.
Feb 04, 2013, 01:17 PM
FasMask works very well, just follow the directions and you'll be in good shape.
Feb 23, 2013, 08:58 PM
Pirate past 40
Bob Dively's liquid mask works better and lasts longer unused.
Feb 24, 2013, 10:38 AM
Pirate past 40
If it's just the lights and glass areas a good quality painters tape will be fine. The better stuff will stretch a bit. Make sure you burnish the edges well before painting. Light coats won't bleed like heavy coats.
Feb 24, 2013, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBoston View Post
If it's just the lights and glass areas a good quality painters tape will be fine. The better stuff will stretch a bit. Make sure you burnish the edges well before painting. Light coats won't bleed like heavy coats.
Thank you for your advise. Hummm. I already cover the glass area, but I think putting the mask tape over the tiny/curved/awkward lights' area is a painful/impossible stuff for me to do... I think the liquid mask will save my time xD

And I did use sandpaper to burnish the edges, is it ok/normal to use sandpaper?

Today I saw two dudes playing RC cars in my school's parking lot. They both have real BMW, I think one of them is M3 coupe. And the owner of M3 coupe has a rc drift car with M3 coupe body, wiht light kits. God, me so jealous!
Feb 25, 2013, 09:50 AM
By burnish he meant to rub it down really well to make sure it's a good sealed edge. The M3 drift car sounds like the same kit I have.
Mar 08, 2013, 08:03 PM
So today I finally get to use the Tamiya spray paint. I decided to do it outdoor, up in the mountain...I guess it wasn't a smart choice, those random wind didn't go to one direction, but rather going random directions =.= so basically some paint was coming to my face, and apparently my 3M face mask couldn't do much about it. Those horrible sharp smell is killing me>.<

Any ideal location for doing the paint job you guys would recommend? Garage? Open space with no crazy wind?

PS: I wear normal contact glasses, is that enough protecting for my eyes? or I should probably use goggle?
Mar 09, 2013, 01:31 PM
buy, crash, save...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawjie View Post

put a pair of sun glasses on