This thread is privately moderated by winchdoc, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 01, 2013, 10:36 AM
Yes, ALL your money...
Thread OP
Yippee!

Peterson's Butte

I flew PB this last Wednesday. It was 17-24 straight in all day with a (not too) low ceiling.
The hill was mine except for a few eagles passing by on their way up to the top peak.
I brought 4 planes and flew 4 planes and returned with 4 (intact) planes

I flew the Pace DSE (I call it "Baby Pace") as well as my new Pace VXE.
Since last I flew them, I have adjusted the elevator servo output arm length (shorter) to use more of the servo's throw and resolution. It makes trim inputs finer, and I swear I can 'feel' the difference when I fly them. I had to re-adjust my elevator compensation % (more) in the landing mix, but managed to do it on the fly. Adjusting TX settings whilst flying is like texting & driving!
Now, they both hover in with flaps/crow to a soft landing. SaWEEeeet!

I've been experimenting with the CG location on the VXE, and both designs really like a neutral CG.

I also brought out my HotRod Tweed Rotor and had several satisfying flights, skirting the lower lip and pulling big loops and roll combinations. I think the CG 'could' go back a bit, but it's pretty groovy to fly as it is now,and loops pretty well. Pitcherons have trouble looping with a forward CG, this may be a reason they get a "poor pitch response" rap. Next outing I'll see how much forward stick it needs when inverted, and try to sneak the CG back a bit.
It uses a new revision blingeron that seems to contribute to the rock-solid feel in the air.
This Rotor is also equipped with TTTGU spoiler hatch that slows the slippery little twisty down to a slow hover. I'll never build another TWF without a spoiler like this, or split tail like my XICA.

I also flew a brand new-to-me McLean Vector 2 TWF. It too, turned out to be a teensy bit noseheavy, balancing on the front edge of the wingrod. I'll prolly like it better on the aft edge. It wanted forward stick inverted, but grooved really nice.
It landed a little hot, but manageable, thanks to a live rudder, you can cross-control & slip a little bit on final approach. Next upgrade will be TTTGU installation. We'll see how that big hatch slows it down!

Compared to the Rotor, the V2 was slightly 'carvier' than the Rotor, which flies a lot like a PSS plane. The Rotor rolled faster, the V2 looped better, and the Rotor has no rudder response, even though I still unconciously move that stick.
Did I mention the V2 has a LIVE RUDDER?
Last edited by winchdoc; Feb 04, 2013 at 06:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2013, 12:10 PM
So you did not fly your X-Plane? Yes, the McLean Vector 2 is a sweet flyer. I will need to add the TTTGU to mine for a great up grade.
Feb 03, 2013, 12:49 PM
On the Go Fly List
Glad to hear the positive flight report on the VECTOR 2. That was a quick build.

Adam

Quick Reply