Jan 31, 2013, 11:51 PM
AnthonyV
Thread OP
Discussion

Help setting up the MS5611 barometer on Flip MWC Flight Controller 1.5

I purchased the MS5611 barometer from ReadyToFlyQuads.com (http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/fli...barometer.html).

I currently have the Flip MWC Flight Controller 1.5 (http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/fli...ontroller.html) installed.

I have very limited time at the moment, so I have not been able to actually research how to get this working on my current flight controller. I have already soldered it onto my board according to pauls telephone instructions (3.3V, SDA, SCL, GND locations using the supplied 4 pin connector). Paul vaguely went over the coding for the multiwii arduino software over the phone but told me he would email me an updated code file to just upload/reflash to my quad. It's been almost a week and I have yet to get any sort of installation information. The information was also supposed to be sent with the MS5611.

Could someone please walk me through the process to modify the multiwii arduino coding to enable the barometer (altitude lock) please? I already am familiar with how to set up the switches to enable it. I know it sounds a bit lazy on my end to ask you guys help... but with my current work schedule I cannot take time away during the day to self-learn everything at the moment. I am a mechanical engineer by profession so I am well versed in coding/programming. However, before I dabble into anything I prefer to spend the required time completely understanding things before modifying them.

Thanks for the help guys... I really do appreciate it.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 28, 2013, 11:30 AM
Did you ever find instructions for this?
Mar 25, 2013, 09:09 AM
Did you ever get this working? I think I remember seeing the firmware on the page for his board. You should be able to compare the files with what you have installed and the one with the barometer activated and make the appropriate changes.

I just ordered the Barometer for my Flip GPS Pod so I hope it's that straight forward. Do you happen to have any pics of how you installed the Baro?
Apr 01, 2013, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by p40whk
Did you ever get this working? I think I remember seeing the firmware on the page for his board. You should be able to compare the files with what you have installed and the one with the barometer activated and make the appropriate changes.

I just ordered the Barometer for my Flip GPS Pod so I hope it's that straight forward. Do you happen to have any pics of how you installed the Baro?
I finally found instructions on how to hook it up to FLIP. See attached picture.

But still have not found anyone who has been able to actually make it work with FLIP. My quad jumps up and down 8 ft with default settings. Turned D value way down and still jumps up and down a few feet. Very disappointing. A good baro makes a quad much easier and fun to fly (and gives the ability to do FPV as well).

Name: direction.jpg
Views: 424
Size: 121.3 KB
Description:
Apr 01, 2013, 03:10 PM
The baro must be protected/covered by foam against wind and sunlight.
I put my baro into light packaging foam.
Apr 01, 2013, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystman
The baro must be protected/covered by foam against wind and sunlight.
I put my baro into light packaging foam.
Got that done already. Is yours working well? If so, what are your PID settings?
Apr 01, 2013, 03:15 PM
OK, I'm using the old BMP085 baro and I use default settings. It's not perfect but isn't yoyoing
Apr 01, 2013, 03:19 PM
Maybe you should use a modified MultiWii Version with optimized baro-code:
http://fpv-community.de/showthread.p...e-%C4nderungen
It's still based on 2.1.

It's german (use google translate ore just download the code);
Apr 01, 2013, 03:21 PM
The baro is SO so much better if you use the new 2.2 firmware . and cover it with some foam and heat shrink .

what firmware are you using? I will post a file for the 2.2 fliip with ms baro .
Apr 02, 2013, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by witespy
The baro is SO so much better if you use the new 2.2 firmware . and cover it with some foam and heat shrink .

what firmware are you using? I will post a file for the 2.2 fliip with ms baro .
I am using the code posted on this page. It says it is the firmware for FLIP with 5611 barometer:

http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/fli...barometer.html
Apr 05, 2013, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by witespy

If you could post 2.2 firmware for the FLIP Pod and the MS5611 Baro that would be fantastic!

I have it set up for the 2.1 firmware at the moment but have yet to try and fly it... I'm not sure how to set this portion with my radio (I have the DX6i and am using Aux 1 and 2):

These are not my settings but what/how do you set the aux channels for use of the GPS, MAG and Baro?

I understand the low mid high and can see how flipping the switch on the radio turns these functions on or off but if you have the GPS, MAG, and Baro would you assign them to different switches and when would you use one over the other?

I'm also not sure why the ACC (I assume that's the accelerometer) would be on a separate switch.

Forgive me for my newb ignorance but I'm trying to understand how the set-up works in conjunction with actual flying technique. In other words, do you always leave the GPS on or only use it for Altitude hold or Return to home? If you have the Baro then I assume you use that for Altitude hold so that you can use the GPS for position Hold or Return to home.

It would be great if someone could share a link to a video that explains this. I've done a lot of searching and have yet to find the basics on this.

Thanks
Apr 05, 2013, 07:51 AM
>>>I understand the low mid high and can see how flipping the switch on the radio turns these functions on or off but if you have the GPS, MAG, and Baro would you assign them to different switches and when would you use one over the other?

Hey P40, I have the same FLIP set up as you. Good luck finding any instructions!! For me, I check all three dots on the ACC so I'm always flying on ACC mode. Then I use my 3 position switch... in the middle is ACC+ MAG, all the way up is AC + MAG + Baro. Then you can turn the GPS on or off with another switch.

However, after MANY hours, I still cannot get the FLIP GPS pod to work. It will NOT hold the position, even when it has 8 satellites locked. I have emailed witespy and they are unresponsive. In addition, my MAG doesn't work either. It doesn't matter how many times I calibrate it, it is still not smooth and when I turn it on when flying, my quad yaws now and then unpredictably.

As far as the baro, I finally got some 1/2 way acceptable behavior with it, however, the baro only works if you turn it on, AFTER you are at the desired altitude! With the naza, I can hop up to 5ft, and ZOOM around the yard like crazy with just my right stick. With the flip MS5600 baro, you just can't do it. I've loaded the 2.2 software and it is better but they still have a long way to go.

I am still confused as to why multiwii people dog the naza so much. I guess just because it is more expensive. I can see with all the options, how the mwc can be more flexible and tunable, but when basic altitude hold doesn't work... I just don't get it! I have come to accept I'll just use the FLIP for my beater quad without GPS, MAG, or Baro. It is what it is, a $20 controller.

If you happen to get the GPS and MAG working, upload a video and post it here!
Sep 21, 2013, 10:28 PM
Land it where?!
Hey guystimes. Did you ever get this working. I am going through what you were.

Quick Reply