Jan 31, 2013, 07:41 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Hammer 2.4 - by Blejzyk from Aloft Hobbies

This is my first build log... The intent is that actually finish it unlike so many other half-built or still-in-box planes. I realized I spend waaaaay toooooo much time browsing RCGroups instead of building, so this way when I see my own thread dying it'll be a reminder to go back and post some updates. I purchased this model at http://www.alofthobbies.com/hammer.html

Currently I have the ruddervator servos mounted and drying in the inner nose cone - I dremeled out a hole and used 3M 5200 to hold them down. I realized that while I wanted the strength of epoxy that the occasional bad landing will cause that type of mount to crack - so my hope is that the 5200 has enough resiliency to give a little but doesn't flex with load. We shall see. Photos coming soon.

I decided to stain the top of the wood - I have not made up my mind about the bottom. Beginning with the V-Tail I used a pre-stain that claims to make the real stain less blotchy. Then I used a stain from some Heywood Wakefield chairs I restored ("Wheat" - http://werefinish.com/heywood_wakefi...nishing_ki.htm) - I'm really liking the look, though I anticipate I will be using a glossy clear-coat spray to finish.
Last edited by macinr; Jan 31, 2013 at 11:59 PM. Reason: corrected URL
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2013, 08:59 PM
Thread OP
On the wings I have pulled servo cables for the flap and aileron servos - will likely hardwire the servos and use a mini deans at the wing joint as it's a two part wing. For size comparison you can see the difference between the Hammer and the Elf. Servo holes are pre-cut on the Hammer.

Also - I mistakingly did not put tape on the glass before I started dremeling away - and then for some strange reason my arms itched for the rest of the night... HMMM....
Jan 31, 2013, 10:47 PM
Sweet! Glad you are getting a start on this one! I was very tempted to keep one for myself. Any plans to add a ballast tube? I think the Hammer will be able to take advantage of a nice ballast load.

-Wayne

p.s. I fixed the link for the hammer on the site, it is now: http://www.alofthobbies.com/hammer.html
Jan 31, 2013, 11:57 PM
Thread OP
Put the pre-stain on the wings... Gosh the grain comes out so nice... Much nicer than my fake wood floor.
Feb 01, 2013, 12:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk
Sweet! Glad you are getting a start on this one! I was very tempted to keep one for myself. Any plans to add a ballast tube? I think the Hammer will be able to take advantage of a nice ballast load.
I missed your ballast build party - I should lookup your thread and build it.

My plans for this are an Ellwood Beach floater... Definitely going to put a ballast tube in the Elf - but I don't want to temp myself and do something stupid like DS the Hammer...
Feb 01, 2013, 12:14 AM
Silent Flight
Quote:
Originally Posted by macinr
I don't want to temp myself and do something stupid like DS the Hammer...
Why? Afraid of nailing it?

Thanks for the build thread! Subscribed.

-Jonathan
Feb 01, 2013, 12:10 PM
Your hammer had more color than any of the other planes I have seen, so glad to see you are staining.

Beach floater? Sweet! I have seen some video of electric Hammers and ballasted glider Hammers and been pretty impressed with the performance they are capable of. I think it will also do well in light conditions.

Are you going to put anything on top of the stain? Something like a water based polyurethane to keep it clean?

-Wayne
Feb 01, 2013, 12:23 PM
These wings come pre cut and hinged? Top and bottom hinges? 2 piece wing with 4 hold down bolts? Need more info....
Feb 01, 2013, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by asat
These wings come pre cut and hinged? Top and bottom hinges? 2 piece wing with 4 hold down bolts? Need more info....
Yes, live hinges on the wings. They are pretty much a center hing, and have very tight gaps, probably the nicest hinging I have seen with wood. You will have to free up the surfaces up a bit with a small piece of sandpaper, but it is easy to do. The tails are also hinged using a small CA style hinge. Some people replace them, but I have had no issues with them.

Maybe macinr can take a close in shot of the wing hinges?

-Wayne
Feb 01, 2013, 12:41 PM
Thread OP
I'll take some close-ups later tonight. But verbally, the hinges are pretty amazing. Some of the stain got soaked up in the hinge on the ruddervator which stiffened them up - all I had to do was wiggle them back and forth and they were free again.

I put my first coat of stain on the top of the wings this morning.

I plan to finish them with a glossy clear spray - won't make for good photos but it'll look nice in person.

Yes - 2 piece wing, pre-cut flaps & ailerons, 4 hold down bolts.
Feb 01, 2013, 12:43 PM
2 piece wing? oops, need to learn how to read...
Last edited by asat; Feb 01, 2013 at 01:04 PM.
Mar 02, 2013, 08:58 PM
Any update?
Mar 11, 2013, 03:39 PM
Thread OP
Yes - I will post photos tonight.
Apr 27, 2013, 12:15 PM
The stain is looking really nice. Is the build coming along?

Scotty
Apr 27, 2013, 03:34 PM
Flying without a licence
I built a Hammer last year. They are great value for money, well made and very good fliers. It wasn't long after I bought a Mefisto too which is one of my favourites.
I keep an updated RC Blog of both builds plus others here.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/memb...=340972&page=3
Scroll down to find the Hammer photo's

Quick Reply