This thread is privately moderated by Matt Gunn, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 31, 2013, 07:26 AM
RCGroups Editor
Discussion

6x12 Enclosed Man Cave -Toy Hauler

Here are some pictures of my 6x12 from Diamond Cargo. The deal I got on this trailer was one of the best you can find anywhere. Douglas, Ga. is the trailer capital of the US; for some odd reason, there are 3 or 4 factories churning out enclosed trailers there. At first I was a bit concerned because Diamond Cargo does not deal to the public. I went through an broker on ebay. But the ratings were great and the price of $1925 for a new trailer with 16" on center studs, 3/4 ply floor and 3/8 ply walls was too good to pass up.

I opted for a torsion axle with e-brakes, an rv-style side door, brace for an ac unit, and and extra 3" of interior height for a total of 6' 6" inside. My only complaint was that they attached the interior ply panels with a nail gun driven into the metal studs. No issues with them pulling out, but it was impossible for me to unscrew the panels to put insulation in there. Instead, I used reflective bubble wrp insulation and slid it in from the top gap.

The interior build-out took me a good couple of months working in the evenings and weekends. I mounted my roller drawer in the middle and built a work desk around it. Wired for shore power with everything goingthrough an Inteli-Power 4000 Mighty-Mini. It has four 120v breakers, 10 12v fused leads, and charges the deep cycle battery when hooked to shore power.

Im closing in on one year of having this trailer and I love it. Ive been contemplating a solar panel on the roof to keep the battery peaked when not in use, and a Polar Cub ac unit. Ive slept in it 3 times at various fly-ins with a blow up mattress and couldn't be happier.
Last edited by Matt Gunn; Jan 31, 2013 at 07:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2013, 12:32 PM
Looks to me like you did a wonderful job of planning. The workmanship looks wonderful as well. I sold a smaller trailer and this is waaayyyy beyond what I could do.. Larry
Jan 31, 2013, 02:36 PM
RCGroups Editor
Thanks Larry. I appreciate the kind words. It was a lot of work but Im glad its the way I want it
Jan 31, 2013, 05:05 PM
Left, NO your other left!
Wow. You do nice work.
Going solar is very cool. I'm running my pop up camper on solar power. Makes attending r/c events more enjoyable.
-Andrew
Jan 31, 2013, 05:44 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
Nice work. I got a tandem axle trailer that I want to work on. You have gone way beyond what I would have thought of. I can see why you have spent a year working on it.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Feb 04, 2013, 12:38 PM

trailer

WEDR, I love it! I am looking right now for a new trailer for the summer and I like the way you built it ( I am going to save the pics and do the same). Is 12' long enough ? have you told your self you wish it was longer? I just want to be sure before I buy one. For the last 3 years I have crawling into the back of my 3/4 ton pick up and its getting old. I forgot is it the ramp or doors?
Jason
Feb 04, 2013, 12:56 PM
RCGroups Editor
well, its easy to say I wish it was a bigger trailer, but practicality plays a big part. I dont have a full size truck so I got the biggest trailer I could tow well with my suv. The size works... its actually 14x6 if you count the v-nose. So from the work bench back is 12 feet. I put a queen size matress in it and sleep at fly ins, and it holds all my planes. But would another 2 feet in length 1 foot in width be nice? Of course!
Feb 04, 2013, 09:24 PM
WOW... Great job on the trailer!! Putting up pics like this helps everyone out
Thanks Billy D
Feb 04, 2013, 09:29 PM
Love the trailer, saved the pics for when the wife lets me get a trailer.
Feb 04, 2013, 09:32 PM
Awesome.
Feb 10, 2013, 12:32 PM
Nice clean setup, bet you could get every penny you put in it back.
Where is the flat screen
Feb 10, 2013, 12:47 PM
RCGroups Editor
LOL. thanks.
The flat screen is actually in there now!
24" mounted in the center above the bench on a swivel
Feb 11, 2013, 04:52 AM
SOLD!!!
Cool pic.