Jan 30, 2013, 05:35 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Anyone else curious about the "5.8 GHz SpiroNET Patch Antenna"?

This'n.

I was poking around RMRC, getting close to ordering the Circular Wireless long range combo, when I happen upon what seems to be a new patch from SpiroNET. Never used their antennas myself but I know that their SPW antennas were a big hit for Fatshark users. It also appears to be the only other RHCP antenna with a dBi rating comparable to the HELIAXIAL58.

I'm no expert, but could this mean the Heliaxial has competition?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 30, 2013, 08:20 AM
I was in the position to test this new RHCP Immersion 5.8 Spiro Patch antenna last year.
As I have also the Circular Wireless Sircana 5.8 Helical and some higher gain Helicals.
( 12 turns 1: 1.2 SWR tuned).
This new Immersion Patch antenna is better compared to all the Helicals I have.
I use/tested several times the antenna on IRC tracker and Uno (V1). VTX is 600mW 5.8 IRC. ( with Spiro SPW on VTX)
Distance I have flown is r.a. 10 km at 500 mtr att. with good flyable video.
Test location is in the Netherlands ( always radio towers relatively nearby).

Anyway... very good Circular Patch... small, light and easy to use.
Very happy with it !!

Here you can see results of test with 25mW VTX
1.6km on IRC 25mW TX and nexwaverf receiver (5 min 45 sec)

and some more info
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Immers...type=1&theater
Last edited by jacq1954; Jan 30, 2013 at 08:29 AM.
Jan 30, 2013, 04:29 PM
Thread OP
Wow, very nice... Glad I held off on buying the CW Helical.
Jan 30, 2013, 05:06 PM
How do these compare to the crosshair?
Jan 30, 2013, 06:38 PM
Member #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq1954
I was in the position to test this new RHCP Immersion 5.8 Spiro Patch antenna last year.
As I have also the Circular Wireless Sircana 5.8 Helical and some higher gain Helicals.
( 12 turns 1: 1.2 SWR tuned).
This new Immersion Patch antenna is better compared to all the Helicals I have.
I use/tested several times the antenna on IRC tracker and Uno (V1). VTX is 600mW 5.8 IRC. ( with Spiro SPW on VTX)
Distance I have flown is r.a. 10 km at 500 mtr att. with good flyable video.
Test location is in the Netherlands ( always radio towers relatively nearby).

Anyway... very good Circular Patch... small, light and easy to use.
Very happy with it !!

Here you can see results of test with 25mW VTX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jgz1ymhzXE

and some more info
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Immers...type=1&theater
Holy cow dude! That flying spot and launch site is bloody awesome!!!! I wish I had a building to set up on and the mountains to fly over that close to me!!!

Mate, you need to get a nice 2-3m span glider! I bet the thermals there would keep you up there for hours!!!
Last edited by Teamsherman; Jan 30, 2013 at 06:44 PM.
Jan 30, 2013, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman
Holy cow dude! That flying spot and launch site is bloody awesome!!!! I wish I had a building to set up on and the mountains to fly over that close to me!!!

Mate, you need to get a nice 2-3m span glider! I bet the thermals there would keep you up there for hours!!!
I'd never get any work done if I did that . Copter makes sure I'm back at my desk within 20 minutes. You're right about the wind though, there's a prevailing south wind that blows up the other side of the mountain. As soon as your glider hits that ridge its like you hit an elevator and you need to point the plane way down to keep it from zinging skyward.
Feb 01, 2013, 11:50 AM
Engineer for Christ
If you need that kind of gain you have 3 options: heliaxial 12 (Circular wireless), 12.5dbic Black cannon (VAS), or the SpiroNet patch (13dbic). Keep in mind the narrow beam of these antennas.
Feb 01, 2013, 11:53 AM
Engineer for Christ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey_S
This'n.

I was poking around RMRC, getting close to ordering the Circular Wireless long range combo, when I happen upon what seems to be a new patch from SpiroNET. Never used their antennas myself but I know that their SPW antennas were a big hit for Fatshark users. It also appears to be the only other RHCP antenna with a dBi rating comparable to the HELIAXIAL58.

I'm no expert, but could this mean the Heliaxial has competition?
This was the first 12+dbic antenna on the market: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1088

Heliaxial has always had competition. Now that the Spiro patch is out, I'll have to take it apart and see what's inside. I want to see if they achieved circularity by vector phasing or time delay phasing.

-Alex
Feb 08, 2013, 09:36 AM
Here you go Alex:

Feb 08, 2013, 10:36 PM
Engineer for Christ
Time delay cable phasing with offset feeds... Interesting. I never considered offset feeds on a patch. I'll have to simulate this and see what it the radiation pattern looks like. One question: Is the substrate between the patch panel and the reflector air or PCB material?

I have been working with something similar, but with 11 dbi BiQuad antennas as the elements rather than 8dbi patches:

-Alex
Feb 09, 2013, 04:53 AM
It appears to be PCB.
Feb 10, 2013, 01:41 AM
Engineer for Christ
^If it is a PCB substrate, I'll need to get a hold of FatShark and Immersion. There's a really easy way to get an efficiency boost out of the antenna by flipping the panel over and reversing the phasing leads.

-Alex
Feb 10, 2013, 04:11 AM
Opt
Opt
Would love to see an etch your own PCB based circular patch from you one day Alex
Feb 11, 2013, 09:04 AM
On a holiday?
So this is what Sander meant in this post from mid 2011.

http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....ll=1#post13300
Feb 11, 2013, 09:18 AM
Unregistered User
I wonder how it compares to this CP patch antenna: http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index....roducts_id=113

Quick Reply