Feb 05, 2013, 02:25 PM
No, he said the wing is super strong and the airfoil is good for both thermal and acrobatics. It's just one plane.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2013, 03:09 PM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
With 3% camber and 12-14% thick (if I remember correctly) HQ-derived airfoil, the plane should be great for thermals, have a good strong wing for aerobatics, slope soaring, whatever, and carry its weight really nicely.

Obviously, a 3% camber wing is going to have significantly (from an aerobatic purist point of view) different capabilities upright vs inverted... but that's OK, the real Blanik does, too For performing scale aerobatics of the type the real Blanik can perform, this model will be more than adequate, and as the promo video shows, with its 1.5 turn inverted negative snaproll - this model is actually much more capable than the fullscale prototype upon which it was based.

It seems Horizon has really done their homework on this plane, given it a cool scheme, and brought it to market it at a competitive price. Hats off to them and A+ for effort!!

Steve
Last edited by surfimp; Feb 05, 2013 at 03:15 PM.
Feb 06, 2013, 06:19 AM
Is the airfoil a HQ 3013 to HQ 3010?.What size is the joiner,and is it steel?
Feb 06, 2013, 03:34 PM
When will this ady be aviable in austria?
Feb 07, 2013, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Couzoff
Is the airfoil a HQ 3013 to HQ 3010?.What size is the joiner,and is it steel?
Damian, Airfoil is our own design.
Joiner is CF, 30mm.

Pete
Feb 07, 2013, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamHorizon
Damian, Airfoil is our own design.
Joiner is CF, 30mm.

Pete
Well done is there a possibility of horizon releasing some more gliders such as an IS 28?
Feb 07, 2013, 08:34 PM
I am guessing if we buy about 10,000 Blaniks, you will definately see another glider. For now, it's fantastic that we have this one, I already have a spot picked out in the garage where it will reside.
Latest blog entry: Testing the blog page
Feb 09, 2013, 07:05 PM
Horizon Hobby
Maybe not quite 10,000, but Blaniks in many garages will only help the possibility of a follow up subject.
Feb 12, 2013, 04:22 AM
I failed linkage geometry
I've done my part to encourage Horizon to produce more.

Placed my pre-order today
Feb 20, 2013, 03:35 AM
Any idea when this will become available?

I'd like to fly it this season, but that means getting it late spring or, worst case by summer.

I really don't want to order something and get it just in time to store it for the winter.

Pete
Feb 25, 2013, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug
Any idea when this will become available?

I'd like to fly it this season, but that means getting it late spring or, worst case by summer.

I really don't want to order something and get it just in time to store it for the winter.

Pete
Will be shipping Late May
Feb 26, 2013, 06:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamHorizon
Will be shipping Late May
Thanks,

I saw the Blanik at the WRAM show and I'm hooked. I'm placing an order with my LHS today.

I like the color scheme but I'd rather have had the Airforce Academy version.

I picked up a DX18 and telemetry gear at the show in anticipation. On that front Horizon ought to offer software that can synthesized a TE vario from the alt and ASI data, or, if the data rate is too slow for that offer a vario.

I'm probably going to spend some time today bench testing this stuff.

Pete
Feb 26, 2013, 09:59 AM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Ran into this video of the Horizon Air Meet 2012 - two Red Bull Blaniks doing a synchronized Nachtflug (Nightflight) with pyrotechnics, wow, cool!!

Horizon Air Meet 2012 --- Red Bull Nachtflug (3 min 52 sec)

I'm really impressed - a full size airshow plus model show in one? How cool is that?

Steve
Last edited by surfimp; Feb 26, 2013 at 10:07 AM.
Feb 26, 2013, 10:15 AM
Also saw the new Blanik at the WRAM Show. Very handsome model, forward swept wings, very generous canopy/cockpit, well turned out...typical Horizon quality...and a welcome change from the endless parade of white glass slippers. The wide chord at the wing root is most welcome for those of us who prefer a model easier to see at altitude.

Now all I have to do is to sell a couple of toys to make room for it.

Steve
Feb 26, 2013, 11:27 AM
I hear you Steve. This model I am also getting. Will be doing it in my fathers traditional color scheme. (so many toys and not enough space to store them).

Gunny Bumburs
Aviation Concepts

Quick Reply