Oct 05, 2015, 04:56 PM
3 packs today on the Splendor, I really like this plane. What a difference this size plane makes in the wind. My field always has afternoon winds, I should have got a plane this size a long time ago. I will keep my Artizan for park flying, besides that it will be hard to go back to 3 cell planes. My last flight I bumped up to 25% expo on the ailerons and really liked how it flew.
Last edited by Bmoe; Oct 05, 2015 at 05:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2015, 06:49 PM
I Fly!
Tuning your setup is key to this plane, to me all parksize 3 cell planes fly very similar. Save up for a Carbon Cub it is awesome
Last edited by jrtubb; Oct 05, 2015 at 07:53 PM.
Oct 05, 2015, 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb
Turning your setup is key to this plane, to me all parksize 3 cell planes fly very similar. Save up for a Carbon Cub it is awesome
Are you saying "turning or tuning"...?

Bill
Oct 05, 2015, 07:54 PM
I Fly!
Tuning, sorry typing too fast I guess and autocorrect.
Oct 05, 2015, 08:27 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtubb
Tuning your setup is key to this plane, to me all parksize 3 cell planes fly very similar. Save up for a Carbon Cub it is awesome
What do you like about the Carbon Cub? Feel free to refer me to a different thread.

Thanks,
Tom
Oct 05, 2015, 08:54 PM
This plane flies really well for a piece of foam. When I was flying it to get it to resemble more of a pattern plane I ended up with Aileron servo travel down to about 35 to 38 percent. Anything more was way to fast. Would have like to be able to mechanically set those up closer but the problem with these types of planes is your almost locked in with what comes with the plane. As a result the control horns on the Ailerons didn't have any adjustment.

Unfortunate problem is for some apparent reason the DX9 just decided to shut off and reboot while in middle of flight. Needless to say only thing I could not control was gravity meeting the demise of the splendor.
Oct 05, 2015, 09:24 PM
Multifaceted Heli Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8qpu
Would have like to be able to mechanically set those up closer but the problem with these types of planes is your almost locked in with what comes with the plane. As a result the control horns on the Ailerons didn't have any adjustment.
You're forgetting there's still the servo end of the pushrods that can be adjusted. My Spledor is set up for 'pattern' flight. The servo arms have four holes and except for the rudder all other rods are inserted in the second hole out from the innermost position. Throws are electronically set at 100% with maybe 30% expo (to soften center) on the ailerons.

Sorry your Spender turned into crumbled foam. It happens more often than it should.
Oct 05, 2015, 09:32 PM
I Fly!
The size is great, plus can cruise around or have some uncub like flying fun. Very big thread, some have issue with motor and ESC, but I haven't and mine is totally stock.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1991683
Oct 05, 2015, 09:56 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
Thank you!
Oct 10, 2015, 07:40 PM
Well good news, Horizon found a new in box Splendor to replace the one that met its demise. They also replaced the radio with a brand new DX9. Not to mention a new 6 cell 4000mah battery. Even sent a brand new 80amp esc. All this is because those were the items I was flying in the plane.

Just awesome and I know this was rare that they hooked us up on this.

So tonight I was putting it together. I went to quickly check CG and it seems way off from what the manual is calling out for. Is this normal???

I know the season is winding down, but I want to get this set up and get some flying in on it. Before we put up someone on the buddy box.

No this is not going to be used to train new pilots. A guy in our club, Tim, has been active getting guys to get into and learn pattern flying. Most of the guys are using sport planes. More than adequate for beginners but Tim kind of wanted to get a club plane to use for guys to experience what a more true to life pattern plane will feel and fly like.

Well let the fun begin.
Oct 10, 2015, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Well good news, Horizon found a new in box Splendor to replace the one that met its demise. They also replaced the radio with a brand new DX9. Not to mention a new 6 cell 4000mah battery. Even sent a brand new 80amp esc. All this is because those were the items I was flying in the plane.

Just awesome and I know this was rare that they hooked us up on this.

So tonight I was putting it together. I went to quickly check CG and it seems way off from what the manual is calling out for. Is this normal???

I know the season is winding down, but I want to get this set up and get some flying in on it. Before we put up someone on the buddy box.

No this is not going to be used to train new pilots. A guy in our club, Tim, has been active getting guys to get into and learn pattern flying. Most of the guys are using sport planes. More than adequate for beginners but Tim kind of wanted to get a club plane to use for guys to experience what a more true to life pattern plane will feel and fly like.

Well let the fun begin.
My CG is is 6 inches (manual was 150mm=5.9 inches) from the trailing edge of the wing root, balanced inverted. I hogged out/removed foam (recommended here) so I could get my Turnigy 6s 3300mah to almost sit up against the wing spar. This gave me a nice CG that was not nose nor tail heavy. I need just a little push after rolling inverted. I may try to get it pushed back a little bit further this coming week. I have 9 flights on my Splendor now and love it. Flying in southern CA I was getting tired of the smaller 3S planes getting tossed around in the wind, this was just the ticket.
Oct 10, 2015, 10:26 PM
I Fly!
That 4000 pack is going to make it very nose heavy.
Oct 10, 2015, 11:08 PM
Multifaceted Heli Nut
I'm using 4000mah 6S packs in my Splendor, battery tray repositioned back to the spar and then added 24g of lead inside the fuse between the horizontal stabs. That gave me a perfect 150mm balance. Could maybe push it back a few mm but the elevator trim and response is fine where it is. Knife-edge flight requires very little elevator correction to track straight. In fact, depending on whether flying KE left to right or right to left requires a touch of down (pushing toward LG) going one way and up (pulling toward canopy) the other way. Definitely not CG related but can't say what causes this. Oh well...
Oct 11, 2015, 07:46 AM
I ended up putting the middle of the batt. right on top of the spar. Had to carve some out of the hatch cover to get it to fit, but not enough to weaken it.
The trim doesn't change from upright to inverted. Flies level either way with no stick input.

Gord.
Oct 12, 2015, 11:11 AM
Happy to report that Horizon found a Splendor to replace the one the DX9 shot down. Now, having the same issues with balance that EVERYONE is reporting.
Rather than carving foam around the spar, has anyone opened up the hatch to let the battery extend up under the canopy? I know; you have to kill the pilot to do it! Some opaque paint on the canopy would hide the atrocity!!...Seems better that carving out potentially load bearing material.
Oct 12, 2015, 11:49 AM
Just to add. The foam over the spar is about 1/2 in thick, which I carved out for the batt. Of course it adds nothing to the strength of the spar.
I took out about 1/2 in. out of the hatch cover too. It still left about a 1/4 in. thickness to the hatch cover where the pilot sits.

Gord.
Oct 12, 2015, 09:00 PM
I did the same thing to my Splendor a number of months ago to accomadate my 6S 4000 batts and the 3300 balances nicely when pushed back to the spar. I thought I would be the only one to do this. Can't see that there would be any structural sacrifice.
Oct 16, 2015, 10:23 AM
The new Splendor will take flight tomorrow, Lord willing. Stay tuned for results. The one thing I love about this plane is how gently it lands. Just like a 3lb. flat wing trainer! Looking forward to that again.
We'll also see what the new motor is pulling compared with the old. Of the two at our club, the crashed one was exceedingly powerful at 65A. The other one was pulling ~55-58 (I'd guess).
Oct 16, 2015, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by time907356
On landing approach, the DX9 decided to re-boot itself
Quote:
Unfortunate problem is for some apparent reason the DX9 just decided to shut off and reboot while in middle of flight.
GULP !! Is this a known issue ? I fly a DX9 ...
Oct 16, 2015, 03:36 PM
kc8qpu and I are talking about the same experience; we're club mates. However, there are several other threads on here describing the same experience. While Horizon didn't acknowledge a widespread problem, I didn't ask either (probably should have)
They reported the transmitter was "Toast", when they got it. Found the problem immediately, or at least, knew enough to know they'd have to replace it.
It might be worth a call to them, for sure. Especially if you are in any way fond of the bird you have it in!!!
-Back to Futaba for me.
Oct 16, 2015, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan W
Apparently from what I can tell it has something to do with trying to plug in a trainer cord into the radio. Long story short is this plane was suppose to be our clubs pattern trainer plane. We just wanted to give others an opportunity to fly it to feel the difference between just a regular throw around sport plane to one more compared to a pattern plane. Seems Tim (the other guy on here from the club) has gotten a ton of interest in pattern flying this year. Some have been practicing but are unsure about coining up for a pattern plane.

So I was trying to set it up with my old DX7. And the rest was history.
If you look through general area under radios there is a thread about planes crashing from DX9. A lot of stuff in that thread with a ton of other links with similar results.
Oct 19, 2015, 09:38 AM
Newbe learning everyday!
is anyone using a bigger battery in theirs like a 4400 or so
Oct 19, 2015, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan W
Here is another suggestion regarding the rebooting of the Splendor..
Overheating of the BEC, nothing wrong with the Tx.

..found this in another thread,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan W View Post

I fly Splendor's so I'm subscribed to that thread. In it, within a week, 2 different people reported losing their Splendor's due to their DX9 rebooting during flight.

I also fly a DX9 .. is this a known problem ?!?!?

FWIW--The Splendor will reboot - inflight - due to BEC overheating -then cooling -
Perhaps someone thought the tx was rebooting?
Last edited by retiredVTT; Oct 19, 2015 at 10:16 AM.
Oct 19, 2015, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredVTT
Here is another suggestion regarding the rebooting of the Splendor..
Overheating of the BEC, nothing wrong with the Tx.

..found this in another thread,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan W View Post

I fly Splendor's so I'm subscribed to that thread. In it, within a week, 2 different people reported losing their Splendor's due to their DX9 rebooting during flight.

I also fly a DX9 .. is this a known problem ?!?!?

FWIW--The Splendor will reboot - inflight - due to BEC overheating -then cooling -
Perhaps someone thought the tx was rebooting?
That might be possible too, but it wasn't this problem. We watched the Tx reboot in our hands ~6-8 times AFTER the crash. It was just sitting there, and "BLINK", black screen, and then "SPECTRUM |||||" and on she came...for about a minute, then off again. We took a video of it with my phone, and sent it to Horizon.

However, I will add that the original esc was undersized. It comes with a 60A, and we metered ours pulling 65A. In the air, we'd hear a very loud vibration like noise, that sounded like the motor just came loose. For a while, we cut max power to 72%, keeping the amp draw under 60A. We replaced it with an 80A ESC, and no more problems were experienced, until that fateful day!

IMHO, if you've ever plugged anything into the trainer chord socket, Beware!!! It seems that that exercise is a common thread amongst the ill-fated DX-9's.
Last edited by time907356; Oct 19, 2015 at 12:35 PM.
Oct 22, 2015, 10:03 PM
Hi there, quick question about servo throws.
I fly a 4 years problem free dx8, and today when I plugged in my splendor and did my pre flight checks I noticed the elevator was being strange. Specifically, I'm getting about 40% of the full throw in either direction, even though I haven't changed anything. Tried a couple of batteries, no change. So I reset the model in the transmitter. Seemed to fix it, back to 100% throw on the elevator. For one flight. Plugged the second battery, back down to about 40% again. Any thoughts? The obvious ones that come to mind are something wrong in the tx, or that the servo isn't getting the power it needs. But why just that servo? Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Oct 23, 2015, 05:24 AM
I Fly!
The 635 RX in stock config has 2 modes, 3D (max deflection ) and Sport (reduced). Check you TX toggle switchs, it is part of my pre flight..
Oct 23, 2015, 03:23 PM
Strange, because I always check mine also... Turns out you're right though. Even stranger, it's the throttle cut switch that changes it. Even even stranger, it only affects elevator.

Thanks. I'd have never guessed.
Oct 23, 2015, 04:01 PM
I Fly!
You can reassign it, there might some programmed mixes too in you TX. I reset my 635 to Sport mode and then set a mode to 0 gains. That gives me same deflection in both modes, I never used full 3D deflection.
Oct 24, 2015, 11:44 AM
ok folks I picked one of these Splendors up for a good price, with the battery and the cg what is the best way to hog off the foam so that the battery can sit back farther to get the cg right or better.
Oct 24, 2015, 11:54 AM
Check it out starting at post 3313.

Gord.

Quick Reply