Mar 21, 2013, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel
Oh.. and for the record... I DO follow the instructions.

I have a 2KG Hex that is flying the Ardu perfectly, and I am about 75% through tuning. So I am not a complete noob.

That said though... has anyone else had the windows error in Accelerometer calibration in mission planner?? Sometimes - only happened a couple of times, I get an exception error in between the steps of calibration.

For example... Sit it level - press any key, then lay it on left side and hit any key - then get the error. Not always at that spot - but you get what I mean.

@BIGJIM - Mate - Some of the most stable copters I have ever built were Gyro only!! Sometimes I have thought about going back to that and be done with it. LOL!!!
Hey Mongrel!!
Come back to gyros like we did years ago! NOT! the gyros were great when it was the only game in town, but even I don't use them. I am getting an APM2.5 from rctimer.... hope to get it going as soon as it arrives....
to remove ads between posts
Mar 21, 2013, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baconflyer
, the price of the apm2.5 is too expensive.
It sure is.
Mar 21, 2013, 09:31 PM
CASA Certified RPAS Instructor
HEY SIGN GUY!!! How the bloody hell are ya!!

Yeah man - I hear ya! I am loving this new tech something fierce.

I am looking at running a big mother Hex shortly - and another APM will be on it.
Mar 21, 2013, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mongrel
Ahh yep yep yep!! Gotchya!

Thanks for your input - much appreciated.
You haven't forgotten to post that large shed over to me ?
Mar 21, 2013, 09:39 PM
No mate. Just trying to organise the freight!!
Mar 21, 2013, 11:24 PM
It's Just a Hobby!

New Headache

Since I had the Level Cal problem I decided to do the erase and reset procedure. Since I have not been back in the air with this machine since the first wild flight I reset the Configuration to what it was before the reset. I also re did the ESC cals (several times to get a success) I re did the Radio Cals and re did the Level.

I reset the tuning adjustments in the Configuration to where I was.

Stab P = 3.0
I = 0
Imax = 8.0

Rate Roll
P=0
I=0
D=0

Pitch and Roll are locked.

Whenever I load these settings and then do a refresh the values are changing in the Rate Roll PID windows.

P seems to want to change to 0.009
I sometimes resets to 0.001
D sometimes to 0.040

I reset to the zero values I had and do a load and then a refresh and they may stay where I had them or they may all or just some change as above. The P value to 0.0090 seems to be a constant.

BTW when I had trouble getting all the ESCs to cal I had a situation where the motors seemed to loose a lot of RPMs. When I finally did get a good set of ESC cals they seem back to normal.

Anyone have any clues?

Sudsy again
Mar 21, 2013, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy
Rate Roll
P=0
I=0
D=0

I reset to the zero values I had and do a load and then a refresh and they may stay where I had them or they may all or just some change as above. The P value to 0.0090 seems to be a constant.
Why all zero values? I hope you don't try to fly with those values...
Mar 21, 2013, 11:46 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJO
Wrong! Dont fly with those values!

I'll edit this post with your starting points.

EDIT:
Again, read this:http://www.diydrones.com/forum/topic...1029075&page=1

And according that guide your starting point can be like this:

/J
This is post 1769 where I took it to mean make the settings I have. I tried to fly with the default settings but the thing was uncontrollable. I was told here to use the settings and set my Chan 6 function to what is shown here.

My quad is heavy but the motors are producing 275 watts with a 4 cell. It seems to have plenty of power.

So where am I suppose to be?

I guess I'm glad the weather has kept me from trying this again.

Sudsy

I thought the screen shot would copy too but it didn't.

and 1769 is on page 118
Mar 22, 2013, 12:11 AM
It's Just a Hobby!

Sure Got Quiet

Hello!
Mar 22, 2013, 12:36 AM
Suds you are correct if you are tuning the quad the first thing to do is use the USB to refresh and save the pid changes. The data modem does very strange things I find.

So here we go, I posted a link that I used for tuning a while back... it was useful for min and max values to start with

Set your mode to acro
set your Stab P to 3 (yes it still uses the acc in acro mode)
set all Rate PID values to 0
yes the I keeps on wanting to go back to .1 or something.. don't worry about it as I have found there is nothing you can do to correct that.. it may be a software bug
set your channel 6 to adjust rate p and fly.. increase untill you have problems (won't go into it here but just fly it and find a happy place)
leave your slider there on your TX
plug in the usb
read the settings and now write down that value on paper as well so when it changes them on you then you can put it back
change channel 6 to adjust D and fly a while adjusting and see the changes
plug in usb
read settings and write them down as well as write them to the board
change channel 6 back to rate P and increase untill uhappy times then back off
usb, read, write, write
change channel 6 to rate I and repeat

now get a stabilize mode going on your radio
assign channel 6 to stab P and fly / play...
now D then I

you get the drift... but what do I know

Steve
Mar 22, 2013, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy
This is post 1769 where I took it to mean make the settings I have. I tried to fly with the default settings but the thing was uncontrollable. I was told here to use the settings and set my Chan 6 function to what is shown here.

My quad is heavy but the motors are producing 275 watts with a 4 cell. It seems to have plenty of power.

So where am I suppose to be?

I guess I'm glad the weather has kept me from trying this again.

Sudsy

I thought the screen shot would copy too but it didn't.

and 1769 is on page 118
I am familiar with Dave's guide... As long as you understand that at no point does he suggest flying with zero values. That is what worried me about your post. You don't try to fly until step five. If you are following the method outlined in the guide there is no problem.

Edit: I've only used that guide for background information on the logic of PID tuning and the broad objectives. In almost every case, I've increase each, P, I and D value above defaults for optimum flight. My approach is to just lower them a bit to start and gradually increase for tuning.
Mar 22, 2013, 12:39 AM
.... flyin' dirty ....

The picture does say that.......

So I can see why he was getting confused.

@SAABGUYSPG

You have a dang video of that enormous weed whacker yet ????
Last edited by DirtyThirty; Mar 22, 2013 at 12:44 AM.
Mar 22, 2013, 12:53 AM
I tuned mine with zero on everything except the value that you are tuning and 3 on stab P... just like the instructions say.

anyway I did it with my octo and had no issues and my quad....

I do all tuning in the air.

Octo video... when I get some room and less snow... I have been busy with other things

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vI-K...ature=youtu.be

Mar 22, 2013, 01:15 AM
FAA Certified Pilot
I start testing my HP2212 Gimbal motors on my test Gimbal tomorrow
I was able to fininsh the milling and mount it tonight...now for the wires!

Yes, My Hero 2 has been through a few test flights

Mar 22, 2013, 01:39 AM
Ok lads... Some success.

It's windy here, but I could not wait anymore.

I put the kk2 onboard and flew. It flew great. So I knew it was not anything on the copter.

Next step was to put the APM back on the copter and do a compete refresh. So I erased and reset and reloaded the firmware. Recalibrated the sensors and radio etc.

It flew ok. Still not as much power as the kk2 and certainly no where near as much as yaw authority either, but it hovered nice and had enough power to climb ok.

I can tell that the powe is limited as it does not have the get up and go of the kk2. Is there anyway to increase that 80%. Throttle limit? I think that is someone restrictive.

Quick Reply