Jan 29, 2013, 05:58 PM
Thread OP
Question

2-Speed Flaps?

I saw a vid on UTube where the guy had flaps which gave him 3 positions - full-flap, half-flap and no flap. He mentioned a 'speed controller' on the flaps?

What does he mean?

The DX6i has flap settings, but only 'Landing' and 'Normal'.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 29, 2013, 06:11 PM
You can't take the sky from me
Servos move very quickly and this is great when controlling a normal surface but for flaps you generally want them to move slower so that if there is a change in trim needed you have time to react. It is also more scale to have them move slower. As far as more settings it makes them more versatile.
Jan 29, 2013, 06:54 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfircav8r
Servos move very quickly and this is great when controlling a normal surface but for flaps you generally want them to move slower so that if there is a change in trim needed you have time to react. It is also more scale to have them move slower. As far as more settings it makes them more versatile.
This was not just slowing down the servo, it was like he had a 3-position switch.
Jan 29, 2013, 07:44 PM
You can't take the sky from me
Unless he was using a dx6i or he specifically stated he just had a two position switch then most likely his radio has a three position switch, as most do for flaps (or a dial.)
Jan 29, 2013, 07:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy20
This was not just slowing down the servo, it was like he had a 3-position switch.
You have to have a 3 position switch to do that. For the slow down of the servo, you can use a slow down switch inline with the flaps or you can do it with certain Txs.

I have a Turnigy 9x with the Open9x firmware that does all that. I have 3 stage flaps on all my planes plus I can control the speed when they go up or down. I can even delay them too
Jan 29, 2013, 07:49 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
The 6i will not be able to slow the deployment of flaps. More of a click their down.

My 9303 has a 3 position flap/spoiler switch and is able to slow the deployment for up to 2 seconds from the time they start to finish.
Jan 29, 2013, 08:25 PM
Dixie Sky Devils
He has a Dx8 more than likely, It has three position flaps and it also has a servo speed setting to slow flaps down to look more scale. selling my Dx6i and dropping the 4 bills on the Dx8 was the best move I've ever made! so much more Tx than the 6i......
Jan 29, 2013, 08:40 PM
I used this to do the 3 position switch on my turnigy9x works good.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1389668

You have to do some mixing,now on the dx61 im not sure if it would be the same,but should give you an idea of what youll need.
Jan 30, 2013, 10:26 AM
yup, this is easily doable with a DX7S, the DX8 and the DX18.. they've got a three position switch and in the flap programming you can set the amount of travel for each position, and the flap servo's speed.
Jan 30, 2013, 10:50 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Buzzeo
yup, this is easily doable with a DX7S, the DX8 and the DX18.. they've got a three position switch and in the flap programming you can set the amount of travel for each position, and the flap servo's speed.
That just about covers it then, I need to upgrade my Tx..
Jan 30, 2013, 12:36 PM
the dx6i does not have a 3 position flap switch but is capable of 3 position flaps. A little mixing and a flip of an extra switch is all that is required.
Jan 30, 2013, 03:22 PM
yup. as Erikc641 pointed out it IS possible with the DX6i ... but the 7s, 8 and 18 all will also allow you to adjust the speed... and (on the same programming screen) how much elevator trim to use (or not) for each flap position.
get out the checkbook
Jan 31, 2013, 07:36 PM
Where did that tree come from
Haven't tried this myself.
Spektrum DX6i 3 position flap settings (2 min 30 sec)

Haven't tried this either. This claim to slow down analog servo travel. http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...djuster/Detail
Feb 01, 2013, 02:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid at 55
Haven't tried this myself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxHdqMS4Hf4
Haven't tried this either. This claim to slow down analog servo travel. http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...djuster/Detail
That seems overly complicated. Here's how I do it.

One position, say the landing position, I use the flap switch as normal.

The takeoff position I have on the mix switch. I do a mix of flap to flap and set the UP rate to say -70% or whatever as long as it's negative. I set the switch to MIX. Basically making the MIX switch cause the flaps to go down less by whatever % you set the UP rate to.

Now only one switch at a time needs to be flipped.
Feb 01, 2013, 03:21 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
My flaps are infinitely controllable ... the 9x, most people use the 3 position switch to the top right. But I use the rotary knob top left.

I can then proportionally lower flaps as and how much I need. I know how much because using the index finger to 'roll' across the top of the knob turns it. Full deflection is one FULL finger of movement !

I still have thumb on throttle. My right hand is still on right stick ...

flysky flaps 1.wmv (4 min 5 sec)

This is for Flaperons - but shows the use of the rotary knob ...

Nigel

Quick Reply