Thread Tools
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:07 AM
williamjames is offline
Find More Posts by williamjames
Registered User
Question

Folding Prop


Hi guys, I need some help regarding folding props. I am working on a side project and have purchased this motor to use on my X8, which is a large flying wing. I need to put a folding prop on this plane and the size must be either 13x6 or 13x6.5. Here's the problem, I have never dealt with folding props and have no clue what I need to make this work. I don't want to put a fancy spinner on it... just a simple folding prop and a prop stop. Since I have already put my order in for the motor from HK, I would prefer to order my prop, and anything else I may need from the same vendor. Can someone please attach a link to the products that I need? I already have the plane, motor, esc and other electronic components... I just need to find out which folding prop, which prop stopper, and anything else that may be required for a folding prop setup.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks fellas!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:48 AM
Kenny Sharp is offline
Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
turn, turn, turn.
Is this motor a pusher or does it pull?

Every wing I've ever had, has been a pusher motor.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:06 AM
williamjames is offline
Find More Posts by williamjames
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
Is this motor a pusher or does it pull?

Every wing I've ever had, has been a pusher motor.
It's a pusher. This is the plane here.

With the setup I have, a 13x6 or 13x6.5 folding prop is what would be required... but I've never dealt with folding props so I don't know what I need. I just want to make sure that I don't buy the wrong stuff and so I was hoping someone could attach links to their reply so I know exactly which items to get.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:08 PM
ekletke is online now
Find More Posts by ekletke
Registered User
Why the folder? To save blades on landing? For better gliding? Some small folders are available as pusher I think. The problem with tractor props pushing is the motor torque is trying to loosen the prop nut. Have fixed this to a useable situation on a lower powered easystar with a six inch prop by using loctite on the threads. You didn't say if your blades are tractor or pusher.
EK
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:27 PM
williamjames is offline
Find More Posts by williamjames
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekletke View Post
Why the folder? To save blades on landing? For better gliding? Some small folders are available as pusher I think. The problem with tractor props pushing is the motor torque is trying to loosen the prop nut. Have fixed this to a useable situation on a lower powered easystar with a six inch prop by using loctite on the threads. You didn't say if your blades are tractor or pusher.
EK
I need folding props because on landing it will break a normal prop if it doesn't fold.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:50 AM
Kenny Sharp is offline
Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
turn, turn, turn.
I'm pretty sure it's not designed for a folding prop.

I'm pretty sure the motor mount is high enough to get a 6 or 7 inch prop there... without the tip hitting the ground.

They do make folding pusher props, but I've seen them mounted on a pod.

In your case, you can use a regular prop, as long as the prop is mounted in exactly the same direction as it would be, if it was mounted in front... You would only need to reverse the motor direction, by switching any two of the 3 wires.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:58 PM
tom1968 is offline
Find More Posts by tom1968
Still circling in sink...
I'd suggest using the pusher prop, and the only significant problem will be the torque wanting to unscrew the prop nut. To deal with that, I'd use 2 nuts and Loctite, and tighten one nut against the other. First of all, that should stay tight. Second, if it doesn't, you'll lose 1 nut before the other; the second nut will be loose on the shaft but with the Loctite it won't spin right off. Chances are you'll get the plane back on the ground before the 2nd nut comes off so at least you won't lose the prop.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:10 PM
JimNM is offline
Find More Posts by JimNM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
JimNM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjames View Post
I need folding props because on landing it will break a normal prop if it doesn't fold.
Not hardly a problem. If you have the brake set to "OFF" the motor will freely spin, allowing the prop to settle to horizontal without hindrance. The electric motor does not have a compression stroke, as a glow or gas motor does. I have belly landed umpteen planes over the last decade -many three bladed props, and have broken zero props due to them being in the "down" position. I have broken them from bad landings (crash, prang, ooops, etc).

FWIW - there is no need to get a "pusher" prop for electric motors - make sure the brand name or other printing is facing the direction that you want the plane to travel, and mount that sucker. If you need to reverse direction of the motor, electrics are fine with that (brushless motors run the same power forward and backward).
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:19 PM
Sparky Paul is offline
Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Ascended Master
Sparky Paul's Avatar
Couple shots of a folding prop running, from the side. It never gets to fully "extended".
For a pusher installation, you might need to mount the motor back a bit to let the prop clear the trailing edge.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:20 PM
Sparky Paul is offline
Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Ascended Master
Sparky Paul's Avatar
A prop that large turning right next to your head for a hand launch will be uncomfortable.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:49 AM
williamjames is offline
Find More Posts by williamjames
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
Not hardly a problem. If you have the brake set to "OFF" the motor will freely spin, allowing the prop to settle to horizontal without hindrance. The electric motor does not have a compression stroke, as a glow or gas motor does. I have belly landed umpteen planes over the last decade -many three bladed props, and have broken zero props due to them being in the "down" position. I have broken them from bad landings (crash, prang, ooops, etc).

FWIW - there is no need to get a "pusher" prop for electric motors - make sure the brand name or other printing is facing the direction that you want the plane to travel, and mount that sucker. If you need to reverse direction of the motor, electrics are fine with that (brushless motors run the same power forward and backward).
You know what, you're right... I've already paid for the folding prop but I'm just gonna go with a regular prop. The folding ones are too much of a hassle. Thanks
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:50 AM
williamjames is offline
Find More Posts by williamjames
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul View Post
A prop that large turning right next to your head for a hand launch will be uncomfortable.
You're absolutely right. In fact, on the plane that I'll be using it on, a lot of guys have actually hurt themselves because of the prop.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:52 AM
williamjames is offline
Find More Posts by williamjames
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNM View Post
Not hardly a problem. If you have the brake set to "OFF" the motor will freely spin, allowing the prop to settle to horizontal without hindrance. The electric motor does not have a compression stroke, as a glow or gas motor does. I have belly landed umpteen planes over the last decade -many three bladed props, and have broken zero props due to them being in the "down" position. I have broken them from bad landings (crash, prang, ooops, etc).

FWIW - there is no need to get a "pusher" prop for electric motors - make sure the brand name or other printing is facing the direction that you want the plane to travel, and mount that sucker. If you need to reverse direction of the motor, electrics are fine with that (brushless motors run the same power forward and backward).

Jim, just to confirm, my brake should be in the OFF position?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:01 AM
dickw is offline
Find More Posts by dickw
Grow old disgracefully!
dickw's Avatar
A prop spinning without power is a good airbrake and will slow the plane down.
If the ESC brake is OFF the prop will keep spinning until you touch down and will also slow the plane down on the glide (not good if you want to spend time gliding).
If the ESC brake is ON the prop should stop spinning with power off, but can stop anywhere - e.g. horizontal or vertical.

Dick


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Carbon Folding props, CFK spinners etc mechengineer03 Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 0 Jan 09, 2013 04:48 PM
Wanted Spare blades for Graupner folding props rcbobcat55 Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 2 Jan 08, 2013 04:22 PM
Discussion RFM Folding prop-spinner offset question? kilwein Electric Sailplanes 6 Jan 05, 2013 09:10 PM
Wanted 12x12 or 13x13 folding props xrx1113 Aircraft - Electric - Power Systems (FS/W) 0 Jan 05, 2013 04:36 PM
Sold 4 sets of Master Airscrew 12X8 Folding Props lv2soar Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 1 Jan 04, 2013 03:54 AM