New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:36 PM
DustBen is offline
Find More Posts by DustBen
Registered User
DustBen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
This is the core of the problem. Government regulations. It sucks that they try to do things like this. If people used common sense, and the government did not try to stick their nose in, things would be all the better. I miss the old days, when there was a little freedom left.
Who said there was a problem?

Hmmm... I think I understand better now
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:36 PM
Chophop is online now
Find More Posts by Chophop
Hair Trimmer Victim "O"
Chophop's Avatar
People you meet in the AMA will be more likely to be organized people who see a purpose in working with others. They probably knew all about Jeffery Dahmler too, and kicked him off the field for disassembling people's airplanes when they weren't looking.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:39 PM
ClosedAccount is offline
Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRCFlying View Post
Fair enough. In those respects I suppose that the AMA has done some good. I guess my real problem is that if people took responsibility for their own actions, used common sense, there would be no need for orginizations like this.

My experiences with clubs have not been good. Any that I have tired to join, or looked into were ALWAYS rude, condecending, and upity. I have always associated this with the AMA as it seems that since they are AMA affiliated they feel they can be "better" than other fliers. That is ALWAYS the way is has come across from at least 3 clubs over the past 15 years that I have looked into. I don't get that at all from unnoficial non AMA related clubs. We fly, have fun, establish our own safety and rules, and have never had a problem.

Maybe my feelings are mis-directed at the AMA instead of the clubs. If this is the case, then I am sorry. It has just always come across to me that AMA = rude members.
This is definitely a problem with the club and the AMA shouldn't be held accountable for that type of behavior. FWIW, when I first heard about the club that I joined, I drove up to the field expecting to be either ignored or handed an application and told to come back once I've become a member. I had exactly the opposite experience. I walked up to an older gentlemen (who happened to be the club president but didn't tell me at the time) and told him that I was brand new to the hobby and was looking to join a place where people would be willingto help a new person learn to fly. There were about 10-15 guys there, at the time, and he walked me up to and introduced me to each one. He handed me an application, explained that I had to be an AMA member to join, and told me to hang out for as long as I wanted. I watched the guys fly for about 2 hours that day and had a great time asking them questions which they all answered. That night I purchased my AMA membership, and the next weekend I was flying at the field with my temporary AMA number. Because of that experience I have helped our club out with a lot of things. A good club president is what makes a good club. If you have a power hungry jerk in charge, then nobody will want to volunteer their time to help make improvements. Members of my club volunteer all the time and donate things to the club to make it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranandar View Post
Nice theory but in real life the good old boys only elect their own. When you feel physically threatened it is time to leave and not come back.

While it is in no way the fault of the AMA, it does not help their membership when people are treated badly at AMA sanctioned clubs.
And people like that should be reported to the AMA. I'm pretty sure that the AMA wouldn't want their name associated with a club that threatens it's members.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:45 PM
MrRCFlying is offline
Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by {}{steve}{} View Post
This is definitely a problem with the club and the AMA shouldn't be held accountable for that type of behavior. FWIW, when I first heard about the club that I joined, I drove up to the field expecting to be either ignored or handed an application and told to come back once I've become a member. I had exactly the opposite experience. I walked up to an older gentlemen (who happened to be the club president but didn't tell me at the time) and told him that I was brand new to the hobby and was looking to join a place where people would be willingto help a new person learn to fly. There were about 10-15 guys there, at the time, and he walked me up to and introduced me to each one. He handed me an application, explained that I had to be an AMA member to join, and told me to hang out for as long as I wanted. I watched the guys fly for about 2 hours that day and had a great time asking them questions which they all answered. That night I purchased my AMA membership, and the next weekend I was flying at the field with my temporary AMA number. Because of that experience I have helped our club out with a lot of things. A good club president is what makes a good club. If you have a power hungry jerk in charge, then nobody will want to volunteer their time to help make improvements. Members of my club volunteer all the time and donate things to the club to make it better.



And people like that should be reported to the AMA. I'm pretty sure that the AMA wouldn't want their name associated with a club that threatens it's members.
Sounds like you have a great club. That has been the complete opposite of the local clubs here. Of course it has been a number of years I have tried one. Maybe things have changed. I don't live near any larger cities, so maybe they get fresh blood. The one I did go to last year as a sponsor of a show, was fantastic. But it was almost a 3 hour drive.

I guess my perspective of the AMA was based on the clubs. It sounds like they are not all that way.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:59 PM
azflyingguy is offline
Find More Posts by azflyingguy
Gilbert AZ
For those that like flying at Clubs for the friendship good for you. There are other added benefits for belonging to a club. A permanent place to fly, a surface runway ect ect. I will have to clear out some rocks for a runway and put some work into it. I did fly from this secluded place but had to be careful of the rocks.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:02 PM
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline
Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Lysdexic I'm
HeeBeeGeeBee's Avatar
I hear a lot of talk on RCG about how bad clubs are. I'm so glad that I don't belong to those clubs. The club I belong to is 115 members strong and evryone gets along great. It doesn't matter what you fly either. They are a fun bunch of people to hang out with aside from flying. I also suppoprt the AMA. I sure wish more people had better experiences with their clubs. Just my 2C.

HBGB
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:11 PM
E-Challenged is online now
Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Registered User
E-Challenged's Avatar
There are few (probably no) perfect clubs because the people who run them are often not experienced or well-trained in doing their jobs. If you walk into a club expecting professionalism you'll find that the club officers are just everyday folks who were nominated for their jobs, agreed to run for office, and sometimes are elected for multiple terms because the other members were "too busy" and "just want to fly". Model flyers whose only experience was flying in public parks, etc., often dislike having to conform to AMA flight operations and safety rules.Flying in the same direction in a racetrack pattern, calling out your intentions, watching the other guy's planes (situational awareness) and not flying over the pits or otherwise endangering flyers and spectators are examples of things encountered in a club field enviornment. Doing 3D moves or high speed passes in the middle of a take-off and landing area are some more negative examples. Good manners and self-discipline versus confrontations and selfish "macho" attitudes can make a club fun to be in.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:29 PM
Colbyntx is offline
Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Carthage, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrizz View Post
...Some people apparently prefer to live in the woods, staring at themselves...

Why not, at least we'll not have to listen to them whine at the clubfield...

I appreciate the fact that organizations like the AMA exist to give the particular, private, person a voice.
If we need a few rules to live together, I'd find it a resonable prize to pay... It allows you to exist too!
Why do people who live in the woods have to be whiners? I live in the woods, 17 miles from the nearest toun and 70 miles from the nearest club field. I made my own runway and my son and I can fly whenever the weather permits. We do 99% of our flying at home from UM's to 80" wing spans. We fly safe and don't like to crash our planes into anything. I have not had the best of luck going to other AMA fields because i'm not from there and not in the clique. Sure, they have been a few nice guys but most seem to look down on you. The OP said in the first post that he should renew his AMA. It's ok if someone has a different opinion than you. That's the problem today, MrRCFlying has a different experence with AMA fields and you want to hang and boycot his business! That is the problem today, it has to be one way or the other! Its ok to think different than the other person. He may not like AMA fields but sends them his money just the same as you. Me and my son don't need an AMA card here in the "sticks" but we both have one and renew every year. We all know the AMA does some great things for our hobby and does help keep big brother out. This is silly!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:48 PM
ClosedAccount is offline
Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
Why do people who live in the woods have to be whiners? I live in the woods, 17 miles from the nearest toun and 70 miles from the nearest club field. I made my own runway and my son and I can fly whenever the weather permits. We do 99% of our flying at home from UM's to 80" wing spans. We fly safe and don't like to crash our planes into anything. I have not had the best of luck going to other AMA fields because i'm not from there and not in the clique. Sure, they have been a few nice guys but most seem to look down on you. The OP said in the first post that he should renew his AMA. It's ok if someone has a different opinion than you. That's the problem today, MrRCFlying has a different experence with AMA fields and you want to hang and boycot his business! That is the problem today, it has to be one way or the other! Its ok to think different than the other person. He may not like AMA fields but sends them his money just the same as you. Me and my son don't need an AMA card here in the "sticks" but we both have one and renew every year. We all know the AMA does some great things for our hobby and does help keep big brother out. This is silly!
Take a deep breath, man... Nobody here said to boycott anybody. Only two people said they wouldn't buy from Andrew, that decision is theirs to make, and neither of them was the person you quoted.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:54 PM
rafe_b is offline
Find More Posts by rafe_b
Registered User
Can't generalize about flying clubs. There are three clubs within 25 minutes drive of my house. Each one is different, big time. The first club I joined -- the one closest to home -- didn't really suit me. Silly me, the club furthest from home (25 minutes drive) turned out to be just the ticket -- I should have checked it out much sooner.

Up until about a year or two back, there was a nice big public space that my flying pals and I could fly and party at. It started out as a huge mowed lawn... then the town stopped maintaining it, and then they put a four-lane highway right through it. It was a lot of fun flying in a non-AMA-sanctioned field. The danger's mostly manageable when all the planes involved are electric parkflyers.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:55 PM
Colbyntx is offline
Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Carthage, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by {}{steve}{} View Post
Take a deep breath, man... Nobody here said to boycott anybody. Only two people said they wouldn't buy from Andrew, that decision is theirs to make, and neither of them was the person you quoted.
I know, I know and i'm fine. That's why I said it was silly. It just kinda chaps me how whenever somebody post something somebody diagrees with, they have to hang them.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:16 AM
BillM is offline
Find More Posts by BillM
Registered User
I currently hold membership in two clubs. I wrote the original charter for one of them in 1968. The second club I joined in 1982. Over the years I have held membership in several other clubs as well--mostly to support their efforts to become established.
Clubs are not sanctioned by the AMA. They are chartered. The AMA offers guidelines for establishing a club but they are guidelines and not rules. The individual clubs set their own rules. The AMA does offer insurance designed to protect the landowner in the event of a problem. That fact alone has led to the establishment of many flying sites. A large number of these sites would not exist if not for the AMA coverage.
Blaming the AMA because you have been slighted by some at a local club should not fall on the shoulders of the AMA. The club is the culprit.
In reality in my 45 years in this hobby I have never experienced nor have I seen what some have claimed happened to them. But it may simply be a matter of perception on my part.

BM
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:54 AM
derpron is offline
Find More Posts by derpron
darn you, kakka carrot cake.
derpron's Avatar
whats AMA?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 04:58 AM
LooseSox is offline
Find More Posts by LooseSox
Loose Sox Special Spec
LooseSox's Avatar
I'd hazard a guess and say it'd be the yankee version of the MAAA (Model Aeronautical Association of Australia).
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:59 AM
lindart is offline
Find More Posts by lindart
Art Schmitz
Been in RC since '64 and was helped out a lot by some very great guys. My flying consists of both club fields, water, public, and private land.
Showing my AMA and explaining its benefits sure eases the way in most cases.
My present club is an excellent one...nice and friendly. I continue to be as helpful as I can be.
I simply chose to ignore the rare times in the past when some idiot malcontent tries to inflict himself on the sport. It takes two to play their game. No body likes a foul mouthed know-it-all.
To all I say 'peace'. art


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! LiFe - no balancing connector 5280air Batteries and Chargers 10 Jul 19, 2013 10:53 AM
Discussion Making personal life and death info public no problem? MtnGoat Life, The Universe, and Politics 48 Jan 05, 2013 10:24 AM
Discussion Club Field, AMA and no fly areas? belouder Thermal 12 Apr 01, 2011 10:43 PM
Discussion AMA CLUBS.. YES or NO? MikeRx Electric Plane Talk 76 Jan 24, 2010 12:25 AM
Discussion AMA rewarding clubs for good public relations Sailhigh South Bay Soaring Society 2 Aug 27, 2009 10:32 AM