Thread Tools
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:12 PM
Stuart A is offline
Find More Posts by Stuart A
You know nothing....
Stuart A's Avatar
Good to see you're straight back on the rebuild.4min.flight next time!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:14 PM
invertmast is offline
Find More Posts by invertmast
Registered User
Haha. Yep, definitely gonna keep it down to 4 mins... Until i csn get some bigger batteries
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:49 PM
invertmast is offline
Find More Posts by invertmast
Registered User
Maiden #2 completed.. successfully!

1/5.3 Horten 229 Maiden #2 (0 min 0 sec)
Old Apr 19, 2013, 02:36 AM
Stuart A is offline
Find More Posts by Stuart A
You know nothing....
Stuart A's Avatar
Congratulations guys,very impressive flying,and a nice return to terra firma.
Looking forward to your development work;hope it goes according to plan.Any thoughts on trying the vanes in the duct on one of them,it would make for an interesting trial by comparison?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 07:03 AM
invertmast is offline
Find More Posts by invertmast
Registered User
No plans as of yet, we are just gonna fly it for now
Old Apr 23, 2013, 07:09 PM
Bare is offline
Find More Posts by Bare
Registered User
This Ain't.. Uwes' IX . Or Keith Shaws'
A build off essentially .. Bentley's 'scale' drawings as redrawn/model structure added in by Hethcoat.
Serious perf is unlikely.
Happy to be proven wrong though.
Last edited by Bare; Apr 23, 2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 07:49 PM
invertmast is offline
Find More Posts by invertmast
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
This Ain't.. Uwes' IX . Or Keith Shaws'
A build off essentially .. Bentley's 'scale' drawings as redrawn/model structure added in by Hethcoat.
Serious perf is unlikely.
Happy to be proven wrong though.
Uh. What?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 01:01 AM
slebetman is offline
Find More Posts by slebetman
Registered User
slebetman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear
This Ain't.. Uwes' IX . Or Keith Shaws'
A build off essentially .. Bentley's 'scale' drawings as redrawn/model structure added in by Hethcoat.
Serious perf is unlikely.
Happy to be proven wrong though.
Uh. What?
Let me see if I can translate that:

> This doesn't look like it's based on Uwes or Keith Shaws plans
> It looks like it was built based on Bently's scale drawings with some
> structure added by Hethcoat
> It's unlikely to perform well.
> Though I could be wrong.

Am I close?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 02:04 AM
Stuart A is offline
Find More Posts by Stuart A
You know nothing....
Stuart A's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by slebetman View Post
Let me see if I can translate that:

> This doesn't look like it's based on Uwes or Keith Shaws plans
> It looks like it was built based on Bently's scale drawings with some
> structure added by Hethcoat
> It's unlikely to perform well.
> Though I could be wrong.

Am I close?
I think you got the bare essentials.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 07:05 AM
invertmast is offline
Find More Posts by invertmast
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by slebetman View Post
Let me see if I can translate that:

> This doesn't look like it's based on Uwes or Keith Shaws plans
> It looks like it was built based on Bently's scale drawings with some
> structure added by Hethcoat
> It's unlikely to perform well.
> Though I could be wrong.

Am I close?

Now that makes sense.


Well, performance is prettt good for a 36lbairplane, considering its still early on in our flight testing.

Level flight speed at 1/2 throttle is 80-90mph, takeoffs are still long due to it being nose heavy, it rolls pretty dang good.

So im going to say he's wrong in it not performing well. I think it does exceptionally well.
Last edited by invertmast; Apr 24, 2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 08:57 AM
Stuart A is offline
Find More Posts by Stuart A
You know nothing....
Stuart A's Avatar
So im going to say he's wrong in it not performing well. I think it does exceptionally well.[/QUOTE]

#1
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:41 AM
slebetman is offline
Find More Posts by slebetman
Registered User
slebetman's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
Well, performance is prettt good for a 36lbairplane, considering its still early on in our flight testing.

Level flight speed at 1/2 throttle is 80-90mph, takeoffs are still long due to it being nose heavy, it rolls pretty dang good.

So im going to say he's wrong in it not performing well. I think it does exceptionally well.
Yeah, I don't understand that bit as well since you've actually posted videos of the flights and it doesn't look to be underpowered at all. Heck, for an EDF, being able to do a rolling take off from grass is an amazing achievement regardless of airframe. Most commercial RTF or ARF EDF jets can't do that.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 07:37 AM
invertmast is offline
Find More Posts by invertmast
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by slebetman View Post
Yeah, I don't understand that bit as well since you've actually posted videos of the flights and it doesn't look to be underpowered at all. Heck, for an EDF, being able to do a rolling take off from grass is an amazing achievement regardless of airframe. Most commercial RTF or ARF EDF jets can't do that.
An internet expert who didnt read the thread i giess?
Old Apr 27, 2013, 04:48 PM
invertmast is offline
Find More Posts by invertmast
Registered User
Flights #4 and 5 were completed successfully today. I removed 2oz of lead for flight #4. Other than a gear door coming off in flight due to a broken hinge (still not sure why the hinge was broken, as the nose gear was fully up when the doors close... weird). Otherwise, not allot of change noticed with the nose weight removed. I did replace the steering servo/battery mount plate with a 1/4" aircraft ply plate. Ground steering is greatly improved and its issues finally (hopefully) fixed..

Flight #5 involved remove 3oz of weight from the nose. I feel this made a much better improvement in handling than previous weight removal's. It got off the ground quicker, and elevator authority felt better during the landing flare. This could be wrong, as there was a significant headwind as well.

Here's flight #4's video.. still a bit shaky, but Tom's getting better

1/5.2 Horten flight #4 (0 min 0 sec)
Old Apr 27, 2013, 06:43 PM
Stuart A is offline
Find More Posts by Stuart A
You know nothing....
Stuart A's Avatar
That is some serious perf guys,You seem to have it well sorted.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log 123 1/2" ho-229 edf invertmast Nurflügel 14 Sep 15, 2012 02:51 PM
Ho 229 Build northropn9m Flying Wings 154 Oct 22, 2009 06:42 PM
Building the Luftwaffe secret weapon - Horten Ho 9/229 XPHAM Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 107 Dec 15, 2005 02:31 PM
Jack Cooper's ho 229 (sting wing) mothflyer Slope 4 Sep 01, 2003 12:26 PM
Building the secret Luftwaffe weapon - Horten Ho 9/229 XPHAM Scale Kit/Scratch Built 14 Apr 01, 2003 09:26 PM