Lumenier RB2205C-12 2400KV SKITZO Ceramic Bearing Motor
View Poll Results: What do you prefer, the 9X, or the new 9XR?
9X 31 55.36%
9XR 25 44.64%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:07 PM
oliwic is offline
Find More Posts by oliwic
Registered User
Discussion

Turnigy 9X vs. 9XR


Hi everyone,
I didn't see this thread anywhere, so I thought I should start it. Does anyone have any opinion as to which is the best?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:24 AM
NCC1701D is offline
Find More Posts by NCC1701D
Registered User
NCC1701D's Avatar
I'm curious about this, too. You'd think more people would chime in.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:13 AM
igorp is offline
Find More Posts by igorp
FPV Crash Dummy
igorp's Avatar
I think this would only apply to people that have both. I only have the 9xr, I can tell you that I like it.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:46 AM
dvogonen is offline
Find More Posts by dvogonen
Registered User
dvogonen's Avatar
I have both. You won't go wrong with either. Both are very good buys in comparison to the price.

The 9xr is prettier, has a nice backlit screen and a programmer installed to start off.
The first batch had problems with sticking buttons and hair line cracks in the plastic. Those problems are probably solved, according to newer buyers.
The ergonomics are, let's call it unique. The throttle and trainer switches are hard to reach. The menu buttons are annoying since they are made out of rubber. The radio has a built in antenna, which I will probably never use since the only module they have promised to supply will use DSM2/DSMX.
If I were to buy a new radio and had no plan to ever modify it, I would buy this one again.

The 9x has a lot more room within to install modifications and has the same ergonomics as most other radios. All buttons click.
On the down side the 9x often has quality problems with solder joints and buttons failing. The Turnigy 9x might be had with a transmitter module and a receiver for roughly the same as the empty 9xr. But I strongly advise against the default radio system, based on my own negative experience.
If I were to buy a new radio and was interested in and capable at installing mods like sound, two TX modules etc. I would get this one.

The cases of both feel pretty solid.The gimbals of both are equaly not good at all. The switches feel the same.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:54 AM
NCC1701D is offline
Find More Posts by NCC1701D
Registered User
NCC1701D's Avatar
Thanks for the feedback on those. What sort of bad experiences did you have with the 9x?

I had a 9x a while back that I used solely for flying v911 helis. Kinda regret getting rid of that stuff and was thinking of getting another or getting a 9xr w/ flysky module. Basically all I'd use it for is flying v911's and v929's.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:08 PM
Fernando89 is offline
Find More Posts by Fernando89
Registered User
Hi everyone,

I'm would be with the new!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliwic View Post
Hi everyone,
I didn't see this thread anywhere, so I thought I should start it. Does anyone have any opinion as to which is the best?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:47 PM
dvogonen is offline
Find More Posts by dvogonen
Registered User
dvogonen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC1701D View Post
Thanks for the feedback on those. What sort of bad experiences did you have with the 9x?

I had a 9x a while back that I used solely for flying v911 helis. Kinda regret getting rid of that stuff and was thinking of getting another or getting a 9xr w/ flysky module. Basically all I'd use it for is flying v911's and v929's.
I lost control over several planes when I used FlySky. I either crashed them or planted them firmly in trees. Losing control did not at all feel like when you loose control with an analog system and servos start to jitter. It was more like a sudden wind that all of a sudden turned the plane upside down or hard to the left etc. Unpredictable and very unpleasant.
I switched to FrSky and have never experienced anything like it. I love the FrSky system. It just works.
But for really close range stuff the FlySky system works OK. I have 911s and have never had any problems with those.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:35 PM
Mikarro is offline
Find More Posts by Mikarro
Suspended Account
my vote goes for this one

Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:46 PM
SquireM is offline
Find More Posts by SquireM
Registered User
I just started looking for a radio in this category. Fly2High directed me to the FrSKy thread (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1637012). Depending on the price and initial reviews, I'll probably get one of these. They seem to have put a lot of thought into it and addressed a lot of concerns brought up in the community. I love a company that listens to its customers. Depending on your time frame, it might be worth waiting for one of these.
I know almost nothing specific about the two radios you mentioned. Because of that, I'd probably go with dvogonen's recommendation.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:58 PM
Izord is offline
Find More Posts by Izord
Registered User

Dvogonen, Thanks... Which Radio?


Quote:
Originally Posted by dvogonen View Post
I have both. You won't go wrong with either. Both are very good buys in comparison to the price.

The 9xr is prettier, has a nice backlit screen and a programmer installed to start off.
The first batch had problems with sticking buttons and hair line cracks in the plastic. Those problems are probably solved, according to newer buyers.
The ergonomics are, let's call it unique. The throttle and trainer switches are hard to reach. The menu buttons are annoying since they are made out of rubber. The radio has a built in antenna, which I will probably never use since the only module they have promised to supply will use DSM2/DSMX.
If I were to buy a new radio and had no plan to ever modify it, I would buy this one again.

The 9x has a lot more room within to install modifications and has the same ergonomics as most other radios. All buttons click.
On the down side the 9x often has quality problems with solder joints and buttons failing. The Turnigy 9x might be had with a transmitter module and a receiver for roughly the same as the empty 9xr. But I strongly advise against the default radio system, based on my own negative experience.
If I were to buy a new radio and was interested in and capable at installing mods like sound, two TX modules etc. I would get this one.

The cases of both feel pretty solid.The gimbals of both are equaly not good at all. The switches feel the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquireM View Post
I just started looking for a radio in this category. Fly2High directed me to the FrSKy thread (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1637012). Depending on the price and initial reviews, I'll probably get one of these. They seem to have put a lot of thought into it and addressed a lot of concerns brought up in the community. I love a company that listens to its customers. Depending on your time frame, it might be worth waiting for one of these.
I know almost nothing specific about the two radios you mentioned. Because of that, I'd probably go with dvogonen's recommendation.


Dvogonen, Thanks for the write up, you put a lot of time and thought into it, except for one thing, (and not trying to be a smart *ss, (well maybe just a little)), Which radio are you recommending, the 9X or the 9XR?

Thanks, Iz/Steve
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:11 AM
pullin-gs is offline
Find More Posts by pullin-gs
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izord View Post
Dvogonen, Thanks for the write up, you put a lot of time and thought into it, except for one thing, (and not trying to be a smart *ss, (well maybe just a little)), Which radio are you recommending, the 9X or the 9XR?

Thanks, Iz/Steve
He recommended the 9XR......
If you are into modding the insides......he recommended the 9X.
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:04 PM
shahram72 is offline
Find More Posts by shahram72
Registered User
I have both, really wanted to like the 9xr, but I have a common problem where the sticks won't center. I get -14 on one side and 7 on the other. This is not usable. So it was a waste of time and money. They used cheaper materials on the 9xr than the 9x. Really screwed the pooch on the design. And because of the shape, you can't hold it in one hand and hand launch with the other. Designed by people? My foot! Designed by bean counters, more like it.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:25 PM
172pilot is offline
Find More Posts by 172pilot
Registered User

Radio Loss


Quote:
Originally Posted by dvogonen View Post
I lost control over several planes when I used FlySky. I either crashed them or planted them firmly in trees. Losing control did not at all feel like when you loose control with an analog system and servos start to jitter. It was more like a sudden wind that all of a sudden turned the plane upside down or hard to the left etc. Unpredictable and very unpleasant.
I switched to FrSky and have never experienced anything like it. I love the FrSky system. It just works.
But for really close range stuff the FlySky system works OK. I have 911s and have never had any problems with those.
Yep.. I know what you mean... Like this:
First major quadcopter crash - Footage from the ground (0 min 46 sec)
(from the ground)

and
First major crash of my Bumblebee Quadcopter (2 min 47 sec)
(From the air - Start 50 seconds from the end to avoid the boredom of grass..)

This was flown with an E-Flite LP5DSM with a no-name, el-cheapo amazon.com bought clone receiver.. I guess I know why they're like $7..

Good to hear FRSky will be best.. That's why I'm here reading!!

Thanks!
Old Mar 18, 2013, 04:24 PM
GarryOgilvie is online now
Find More Posts by GarryOgilvie
Professional sink locator
172,
Why would you fly that close to the high voltage lines?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:28 PM
Dale_SU is offline
Find More Posts by Dale_SU
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorp View Post
I think this would only apply to people that have both. I only have the 9xr, I can tell you that I like it.
How about the 9xr?


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted Bought a Turnigy 9XR? Sell me ur Smartieparts board for 9x! floete Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 7 Mar 27, 2014 01:20 PM
Discussion Turnigy 9x vs turnigy 9xr Harry200sx Radios 2 Feb 08, 2014 05:40 AM
Discussion Quick control Tx question (Turnigy 9x, 9xr, or other?) schott1984 FPV Talk 10 Mar 07, 2013 12:16 AM
Sold FlySky modlule and Recievers (Turnigy 9X,9XR) Fentonflyers Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 1 Jan 12, 2013 04:40 PM
Sold Turnigy 9XR/9X FlySky Transmitter Module and RX bkahuna Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 5 Jan 12, 2013 02:12 AM