Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 27, 2013, 12:16 PM
Discussion

LiPo good or bad?

Maidened my EPP Widowmaker wing this morning. The last of about 6 nose dorking bounces damaged the 1800 mAh LiPo. The cells have shifted and one may be puffed. Ok, it's definitely puffed. All three cells were 4.08 v and it took only 208 mAh to charge it completely. It's a new 40c, 2c charge rate E Flite battery.

What do you think?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 27, 2013, 01:51 PM
heli wrecker extrordinaire
once they puff i chuck em.....to much risk and they are too cheap to take the chance on em igniting.
Jan 27, 2013, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the response Nute.

I tend to agree but this one isn't a real cheap one. If one cell of 3 is just a little puffy is the risk greatly reduced? Is the risk during charge or discharge?
Jan 27, 2013, 06:31 PM
An article in one of last years Model Aviation issues stated that as long as the pack still provided a satisfactory output it could be used.

I have used a couple of puffed packs in the past that still gave me satisfactory power. But if they don't hold up under load I chuck them.

And BTW the correct way to dispose of a LiPo is to discharge it completely (light bulb or power resistor), cutoff the main connector and solder the main leads together.

Glen
Jan 27, 2013, 06:40 PM
Team Mulikow
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
An article in one of last years Model Aviation issues stated that as long as the pack still provided a satisfactory output it could be used.

I have used a couple of puffed packs in the past that still gave me satisfactory power. But if they don't hold up under load I chuck them.

And BTW the correct way to dispose of a LiPo is to discharge it completely (light bulb or power resistor), cutoff the main connector and solder the main leads together.

Glen
Same here. I used a 6s pack that got a little puffy after each flight and still got about 40 more cycles out of it before it finally wouldn't hold up under load.

I'll also give a +1 to the disposal method that ggcrandall1 gave. Don't soak them in a salt water bath as many people do.
Jan 28, 2013, 04:35 AM
Thanks guys.