Feb 03, 2013, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurorae
Different kind of pigeon.
how so ? just curious, there are thousands that were trained to be carrier pigeons and got turned loos also.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2013, 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd
how so ? just curious, there are thousands that were trained to be carrier pigeons and got turned loos also.
They were talking about passenger pigeons, which were native to North America and are now extinct.

City pigeons, actually rock doves, were introduced from Europe and pretty much live wherever a lot of people live.
Feb 04, 2013, 03:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fullbird
I found a YouTube video of a hawk attacking a wing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=FpV74Cd5wt4#!
That is the video, which I was referring to. It caused a heated debate as a majority of forum contributors felt that the pilot is deliberately provoking the bird by repeatedly flying over it's territory. There was also some agreement on the likelyhood of serious physical trauma to the bird's claws (which a hawk can hardfly do without).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray8854
Yeah, I've seen the videos of birds attacking rc planes. I just wonder how often the BIRD comes out on the short end of the deal....
Whenever a pusher prop is involved, I'd say. Imagine making a fast spinning APC prop break by poking your finger into it, and what your finger would look like afterwards

Now imagine a small bird with tiny, hollow bones doing the same thing.
Last edited by mike_o; Feb 04, 2013 at 03:49 AM. Reason: typo
Feb 04, 2013, 06:27 PM
The birds can maneuver so much faster than RCs it’s amazing. Skip to 2:16 in the video. Two birds came of nowhere to attack my plane. I had been “yanking and Banking” while trying out a new key chain camera. I didn’t even know they had attacked until I saw the video. The only issue is, are you goading them into attacking. I say the vast majority of pilots, no. Birds fly over RC fields all the time.

Albatross "Yank & Bank" (5 min 0 sec)
Feb 04, 2013, 06:57 PM
I posted already on this thread but needed to add this. I am learning to fly a wing. It takes all my concentration to keep the thing in the air, no stunts, nothing, just straight flying. Yesterday I had four turkey vultures fly into my space. One of them flew over to check out my plane and then flew off to the side to rejoin his buddies doing whatever they were doing. If any one of them had decided to attack I wouldn't have been able to do a thing about it.
Feb 05, 2013, 09:25 AM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
Isn't it amazing how we excuse the killing of millions of animals per year in roadkill and full size planes hitting birds, but incidental non-fatal contact with RC planes is so shrilly condemned. The big killers we ignore, but the activity that has killed no birds that I've seen documented is evil.

Insanity has no reason. Trying to excuse, predict or fix the reason why is impossible. The best we can do is not to let them have their way. They are committed to branding us killers because we share the sky with birds. Are we committed to our case that we are reasonably operating with more consideration than drivers of automobiles and pilots of full size planes? If we can't sell our case the wackos will carry the day and our hobby could be severely crippled.
Feb 05, 2013, 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Isn't it amazing how we excuse the killing of millions of animals per year in roadkill and full size planes hitting birds, but incidental non-fatal contact with RC planes is so shrilly condemned. The big killers we ignore, but the activity that has killed no birds that I've seen documented is evil.

Insanity has no reason. Trying to excuse, predict or fix the reason why is impossible. The best we can do is not to let them have their way. They are committed to branding us killers because we share the sky with birds. Are we committed to our case that we are reasonably operating with more consideration than drivers of automobiles and pilots of full size planes? If we can't sell our case the wackos will carry the day and our hobby could be severely crippled.
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...lls-usat_x.htm
Feb 05, 2013, 01:55 PM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
Quote:
That is classic tree-hugger insanity. One windmill farm tallying up a conservative 4,700 pieces of shredded tweet per year, another in the Appalachians wiping out 4,000 bats per year. These things also make sonic pressure waves that drive people and animals crazy. They actually hurt your ears. They're not nice to live near at all.

These same people are pushing hybrid and electric cars. Hybrid cars are the ones that pretend you're getting 50+ miles per gallon, while the $6,000 worth of lithium batteries are waiting for the moment that they fall below 3 volts per cell so you can dispose of them. Every car is a hot potato, with the owner hoping to be able to unload the car before battery failure eats up twice his savings on fake gas mileage.

In the meantime, other tree huggers are pushing the electric automobile. You know, the one with no emissions at all, except for the emissions from the three gallons of fuel burned at the power plant to get the equivalent of one gallon of energy into your car. Thank God they're not popular. Imagine a million energy sucking vampires hooked into our power grid and what that will do to the price of electricity to our homes. Remember when diesel fuel was a third the cost of gasoline because only trucks used it? Remember now when diesel costs more per gallon than gasoline because automobiles use it? Connect the dots. The revealed drawing is obscene.

Thank you tree huggers! Now leave. Port-au-Prince needs you.
Feb 05, 2013, 06:47 PM
Quote:
That is classic tree-hugger insanity. One windmill farm tallying up a conservative 4,700 pieces of shredded tweet per year, another in the Appalachians wiping out 4,000 bats per year. These things also make sonic pressure waves that drive people and animals crazy. They actually hurt your ears. They're not nice to live near at all.

These same people are pushing hybrid and electric cars. Hybrid cars are the ones that pretend you're getting 50+ miles per gallon, while the $6,000 worth of lithium batteries are waiting for the moment that they fall below 3 volts per cell so you can dispose of them. Every car is a hot potato, with the owner hoping to be able to unload the car before battery failure eats up twice his savings on fake gas mileage.

In the meantime, other tree huggers are pushing the electric automobile. You know, the one with no emissions at all, except for the emissions from the three gallons of fuel burned at the power plant to get the equivalent of one gallon of energy into your car. Thank God they're not popular. Imagine a million energy sucking vampires hooked into our power grid and what that will do to the price of electricity to our homes. Remember when diesel fuel was a third the cost of gasoline because only trucks used it? Remember now when diesel costs more per gallon than gasoline because automobiles use it? Connect the dots. The revealed drawing is obscene.

Thank you tree huggers! Now leave. Port-au-Prince needs you.
LOL exactly ! They just keep pushing this wind power crap and there utterly worthless and blocking out the mountain view now in spots here in Idaho.
Feb 05, 2013, 07:50 PM
Greediest Suer
I find it amazing that a flock of birds can fly together without running into each other or other obstacles, yet apparently they will fly into a clearly visible spinning wind turbine. Perhaps that will cull out the idiot birds. Birds can be incredibly strong though. Have a look at the eagle throwing screaming kids off a cliff on YT, then go harass that bird with your model.
Feb 05, 2013, 08:00 PM
Heli's rule!
Quote:
great points, also remember we had cars that would get nearly 50MPG in the 80's..... my buddy just bought one, turbo sprint, faster than a prius with better gas mileage, built nearly 30 years ago....
Feb 05, 2013, 08:03 PM
sKrude up, Rejected!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H
I find it amazing that a flock of birds can fly together without running into each other or other obstacles, yet apparently they will fly into a clearly visible spinning wind turbine. Perhaps that will cull out the idiot birds. Birds can be incredibly strong though. Have a look at the eagle throwing screaming kids off a cliff on YT, then go harass that bird with your model.
Link please!
Feb 05, 2013, 08:20 PM
Greediest Suer
Just search using e-f in my post.
Feb 05, 2013, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFly.
Link please!
it is the sonic wave coming off the blades that throws the birds guidance system out of whack, it is all facts and on the internet.
Feb 05, 2013, 10:15 PM
Greediest Suer
Quote:
it is the sonic wave coming off the blades that throws the birds guidance system out of whack, it is all facts and on the internet.
So the birds hear a sound that they are unfamiliar with, then opt to fly directly toward it?

Quick Reply