Discussion

Q25 Racing

For the NASCAR of the air.

RJ
to remove ads between posts
Nov 18, 2013, 08:10 PM
Gary James

Q-25 Race #6

We had a pretty good turnout for the last Q-25 race of the season, especially considering the weather forecast. Nine brave Q-25'ers showed up, but unfortunately we only had two racers show up for EF-1. As it turns out, the wind was straight down the runway at about 20 mph with occasional gusts. We've flown in worse. There were a few YEE HAA's out there due to the wind, and I'm guilty of some of them, but on the whole, I don't think that there were any planes lost due to the wind. There were a couple of "touch and go's" in the grass coming out of the downwind pylon, with Squidman's (Steve Fabianke) being the most dramatic. I think that he was just trying to help out the club with the mowing of the field. Jerry Hellums put one in coming out of the downwind pylon, but I'm not sure if it was the wind or not Only one mid-air, I apparently put a wingtip through Steve Blackwell's aft fuselage, but both airplanes kept flying. One airplane damaged on landing. Gary Alphin's "Revolution" was really smokin' and it was very smooth in the wind. We flew 5 rounds of 3 man heats. At the end of 5 rounds we had a 2-way tie for first between Squidman and Alphin. It was a hard fought heat, and Gary Alphin turned in a time MUCH lower than the previous low time of the day. Unfortunately, he did so by flying a LOT shorter course than the pylons called for and double cut. That left Squidman as the undisputed winner of the day.

We are putting together the schedule for next year and want to coordinate with the Waco, Georgetown and Hico C-40 races so that we can all get in as much racing as possible next year.

Also, we want to encourage more participation in EF-1 around here. We have been putting on EF-1 races for 2 years now but it hasn't seemed to catch on as of yet. With all the great ARF's out there, it's time to dust off the workbench over the winter and drag out the battery chargers and get racing. Just think, with EF-1 there is no nasty oil to wipe down and your wife won't get mad at you for spilling fuel all over the carpet of the car.
Nov 18, 2013, 08:11 PM
Gary James

Final Results for 2013

Here are the cumulative and final results of the 2013 Q-25 racing season for N Texas. Congrats to all the racers and let's have even more and better racing in 2014!
Nov 19, 2014, 01:59 PM
I'd be interested to see the results for 2014.
???
May 19, 2015, 04:48 PM
Gary James

RACE 30 May 2015

My Fellow Thunderbirds: Fame and fortune await you as a pylon judge at the Q-25/C40 and EF-1 Pylon Race to be held at Thunderbird field on Saturday, May 30th. I'm looking for "A Few Good Men" to lounge in the shade in a comfy chair and watch the racers speed around the pylons while holding their very fate in your palm as you man the "cut switch". The pay is exorbitant!!! You will receive TWICE the pay of the Contest Director himself... me. Of course twice zero is still zero... but you WILL get a free BBQ lunch from Riscky's BBQ and the undying thanks of the competitors and the CD alike. I need a minimum 4-6 people, 2 each at the pylons and perhaps a couple of start/finish judges and a scorekeeper. If I can get more that that, I can easily put you to work with a stopwatch timing the event so that we can award "fast time" etc.

One thing different this time is that I have invited the quadrotor people to come race around the pylons too. It's a "will this work" type of thing, and they must be AMA members. Usually the quadrotor guys race obstacle courses, one at a time, using FPV. I am curious to see if they can race around pylons too. Not only that, I am hoping that after they see EF-1 that they will want to get involved in that as well. I don't know if we will get any, but it's worth giving it a try.

If you are interested in helping out, drop me a line at [email protected] and let me know your availability and what you would like to do. First come, first served!

And THANKS a bunch in advance for any assistance. The FW Thunderbirds used to be one of the premier pylon racing clubs in the US during the heydays of Formula One and I'd like to return us to our former glory!

Gary James
[email protected]
817-689-3778
May 25, 2015, 08:29 AM
Gary James

North TX Pylon Race #1 , Saturday, May 30, 2015

North TX Pylon Race #1 , Saturday, May 30, 2015

The 1st race in the N.Tx. Pylon Racing Org's 2015 Q-25/Club 40 & EF-1 Pylon Racing series is May 30th, 2015.

This will be a Two (2) Pylon Course, 400 feet between Pylons.
We will be alternation classes between Q-25/Club 40 & EF-1.
We will fly the Q-25's and the Club 40's in the same heats since previous head-to-head testing has shown that the airplanes are essentially the same speed when flown smoothly.

The fuel will be 15% and you must provide your own fuel (we will trust you, if you win by using greater than 15% fuel, you aren't a winner, just a cheater)

Registration will be at 10 AM, 1st race will be at 11 AM.
Event Fee will be $20 and will include lunch for all registered pilots
Second event entry fee is $10
Lunch is FREE for all course workers
Lunch will be available to non-entrants for $5.

Fort Worth Thunderbird R/C Club is hosting event.
Location will be at the T'Birds New Field, Mustang Park, Lake Benbrook, 3602 Winscott Plover Road, Fort Worth, Tx. 76126.
GPS: 32 deg 36 min 35.12 sec N, & 97 deg 29 min 06.31 sec W.

Admittance to Mustang Park is free to AMA members. Ask for a "Thunderbird Pass" at the gate house.

We are going to try something a little different this year in that I've invited "quad racers" to come and see if pylon racing will work for multi-rotor models. Quad pilots must be AMA members to compete due to insurance requirements

CD: Gary James 817-689-3778
CD: Verne Bell 817-629-1909
We hope to see you there.
May 29, 2015, 04:28 PM
Gary James
CANCELLED

Regrettably it is necessary to cancel tomorrows race. As of noon on Friday, the Corps of Engineers has completely closed off the park and is not allowing access to anyone. The field is still above water but with another expected rainfall tonight and the fact that the Corps is not letting any water out of the lake so as not to flood the Trinity river more than it already is, it is highly probable that the field WILL be underwater by tomorrow morning. The field elevation is 709 msl. Bear Creek Drive will remain out of water until about 711. The spillway notch is 710 so the field will be underwater before water goes over the spillway.

Sorry guys, I got this info out as soon as I could. The club is moving the mowers out of the storage shed because the water is only about 25 yards from the door.
Nov 20, 2015, 11:52 PM
Gary James

Cancelled due to weather

CANCELLED due to weather

Well, the weather gods have frowned upon us once again here in North Texas. According to the “weather guessers” a big cold front will be rolling in at about 5am Saturday morning, with 35 mph winds and temperatures plummeting to below freezing by nightfall. As much as we all want to race, having been “shut out” twice already this year from the flooding, I’m afraid that the conditions just don’t look conducive to racing. So, I’m hereby cancelling the race scheduled for Saturday Nov 21st at Thunderbird Field. Sunday isn’t available and the temperatures will be even worse so that’s not an option.

So, stay home, keep warm and start building for next Spring and hopefully we’ll have better luck next year.
Apr 10, 2019, 12:41 AM
Nose down, you're gonna stall
Thread OP
Bump

Quick Reply