Apr 10, 2014, 12:35 PM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds

Electronic Flight Stabilizers

I opened this thread to hopefully get information from people in the club with first hand experience.

Recently, flight stabilizers (gyros) have become dirt cheap. There's a couple of that I've seen that go for less than $20. Even though none of the adds say so, I get the feeling that these stabilizers are designed for use with small to medium electric airplanes.

Specifically, what I'd like to find out is if electronic flight stabilizers will work with gas or nitro powered airplanes. I would think that they should since helicopter flyers use them and I think that a helicopter probably vibrates as much as a nitro powered airplane.

Has anyone tried it and know for sure? If so, would you share your experience?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 12, 2014, 01:23 AM
I assume they will work with any system or engine type unless the electronic ignition for the gas engine causes interference. If you try it, be sure to keep it away from the ignition box as you do your receiver. Most ignition boxes are well shielded these days but, the stabilizer may not be ...especially the less expensive ones.
I've got my eye on one I've seen listed on Hobby Partz for about $35. They currently show "out of stock" however, I found the same item on ebay for $10 less. I may try one on my electric bird to see if it will help tame it down in higher winds.
I run my ailerons on two different channels on my competition planes so, I'll need one that will do 4 channels (L aileron, R aileron, rudder, and elevator). Most of the inexpensive units I've seen only handle 3 channels.

RJ
Apr 23, 2014, 05:51 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
I use this OrangeRX Gyro on a Electric 48inch Edge 540T and it works PERFECTLY! The only concern I would have about flying it in a gas/glow plane would be vibrations. Gyros don't like vibrations.

Another downside to this particular gyro is that you HAVE to use a Y adapter for your ailerons.

Ricky
Apr 23, 2014, 10:49 PM
I found this one while digging around the web for airplane gyro stabilizers. Looks interesting and it supports 6 channels so you could use dual aileron and elevator servos.

http://www.hobbyeagle.com/a3super/?lang=en

....or on ebay here,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eagle-A3-Sup...item3a83aebabc

RJ
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Apr 23, 2014 at 11:02 PM. Reason: add info
Feb 23, 2015, 03:57 PM

B-36 Bomber - Panaramic Cockpit View

Thanks to John Whatley for this info:

The next to last landing and the last take-off of the last operational B-36 took place at Scott AFB. The aircraft was being ferried to the AF Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB when it developed an in-flight emergency and had to land at Scott AFB to effect repairs.
It was so heavy that it could NOT be parked on an apron as it would have cracked the concrete, so it was kept on the end of one of the runways (which had thicker concrete). It had to be moved around every couple of hours to prevent runway damage. When it departed the next stop was it’s final landing at the Museum where it would become a display and never fly again.
The take-off was memorable: six piston engines roaring at full strength and the four jet engines screaming. Imagine 36 hour flights in this machine. The view is from one of the two flight engineer positions from their consoles. They took care of the 6 turning and burning with the engine controls in front of them (manifold pressure and throttles, the pilot has the four jet engine controls over his right shoulder. I'd love to have seen the start up procedure, looks like six fingers on all three hands were needed.

Called "The Peacemaker," the US Air Force B-36 served from late 1940’s until the mid 1950’s when the all- jet B-47 became the long-range nuclear weapon carrier.
The B-36 was a state of the art airplane in its day. The Flight Engineer was responsible for starting, maintaining and shutting down the 6 Radial Engines and 4 Jet Engines required to make it fly and to mission complete. No modern "Fly by Wire" or "Computer controlled Aircraft" involved here. Just straight old manpower, brainpower and the guts to get it done. Though some of its pilots thought it was a beast to fly, it DID help do the job of keeping the peace during the beginning of the Cold War.

This presentation is a 360 degree viewing movement by moving your mouse. It is a 360 degree panorama of the flight engineers station and cockpit on a B-36. Six propeller-driven R-4360s and four J-47 jets to keep an eye on, plus fuel, pressurization, hydraulics, electrical, and other systems.
Use your mouse to navigate the cockpit.

Use the mouse wheel for close-up or distance views

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/med...0Engineer.html

Happy viewing!
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Feb 23, 2015 at 07:24 PM.
Feb 23, 2015, 06:02 PM
Crash 'em if you got 'em
my dad flew on that plane. back when he was a navigator, this was prior to becoming a pilot. he has great stories of crawling through wing to replace magnetos in flight.

I sent him the link, he will love it.
Latest blog entry: Top Flite P40 .60 is no more
Feb 23, 2015, 06:06 PM
That's amazing. I didn't know the museum had these virtual tours. I'll be spending some time going through each one.
Feb 23, 2015, 07:22 PM
When I was a child, we lived in the flight path of Ellington AFB southeast of Houston, TX. I remember seeing one (or some) of these monsters in the pattern. They certainly made a different sound as they flew over.

Garry
Feb 23, 2015, 08:49 PM
Crash 'em if you got 'em
From an email from my dad. LtCol Gene "Gino" Millspaugh

"The "port," high and surrounded by yellow marking, if for the periscope sextant. Had to be contortionist
to use for taking celestial for navigation. And, took two flight engineers and co-pilot to "manage" the six recips
and the four jets. "

Ironically was stationed at ScottAFB 68-76 with trips to AAF war college and Vietnam.
Latest blog entry: Top Flite P40 .60 is no more
Feb 24, 2015, 02:13 AM
Very cool.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:38 AM
Does anybody have a good postal scale I could use? I'm about to redo a plane that has ultracote on it and switch over to painted fabric, and I want to be able to document the weight change.
Aug 24, 2015, 04:51 PM

Trim scheme talk 8/24

This document has all the information from the trim scheme talk in the August meeting.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B34...ew?usp=sharing
Aug 28, 2015, 01:05 PM
Thanks Jester. Nice job
Oct 18, 2015, 09:08 PM
Does anybody know of a place to buy G10 or similar composite sheet locally? I can order it, but the shipping for a small piece is more than the piece itself. I've called all the hobby shops with no luck, and Grainger's website doesn't list it either.
Jan 01, 2016, 02:50 PM

Long Time Members, Remember the Cross-Country RC Race?

All,

Hopefully somebody like Ed Rankin will remember.

It was about 1977 and me, Tom Blakeney and a bunch of others had a cross-country RC airplane race from Thunderbird Field to another club's field. I remember about 6 or 7 planes/cars where involved.

I remember highlights such as somebody crashing in the yard of a church just after services were ending. The whole thing was pretty hysterical!

I hope somebody else remembers, as I need some collaboration of the story, most people don't believe it.

Are there perhaps anybody in the club that remembers it or even better, has some pictures?

Thanks all,

Chuck
Last edited by AMA76478; Jan 01, 2016 at 02:56 PM.