Jan 25, 2013, 10:35 PM
Discussion

Plane Talk

Please feel free to post info about aviation in general in this thread.

RJ
to remove ads between posts
Apr 02, 2013, 10:42 PM

DX7S Troubles

As you may know by now, I wrecked a very nice Reactor Bipe a week ago Sat. due to a radio lock-out ...the airframe was a total loss. I suspected the AR6200 w/satellite was at fault as the transmitter had just returned from Spektrum for repair a broken antenna circuit (it had been knocked off a bench seat at the field)..
However, yesterday (Monday) I experienced another lock-out/glitch but, was able to recover the plane and land safely. It occurred just as I had completed a 180 deg. turn and was bringing it toward me. I lost complete control and the plane began a slow left turn and I expected the same result as the biplane. I got lucky this time. The receiver in this plane is an AR7000 w/satellite.
I'm now convinced that Spektrum tech support didn't fix the antenna issue or used defective parts. It appears they just pull them out of the box without testing them.
I mailed the transmitter off to them today for a second attempt at repairing the problem. I've lost confidence in this transmitter and am actually afraid to use it when it comes back. I've lost plenty of airplanes due to dumb thumbs and dumb stunts but, it's really scary when the equipment unpredictably fails.

Garry
Apr 03, 2013, 04:26 PM
There are so many stories that sound just like this that I'll never use Spektrum equipment. I know plenty of their stuff works fine, but there are just too many people who have had unexplained issues like yours for me to ever trust the brand.
Apr 03, 2013, 08:52 PM
I'm so heavily invested in Spektrum receivers that it would take a small fortune to replace them. So, I'm stuck with the brand. I'll be buying a new DX7S because I don't trust their repair service.
I owned this transmitter for about 8 months with no problems until I sent it in for repair for the antenna damage problem. I got it back in early Feb. and had only used it 2 or 3 times including the wreck of my bipe and then the signal loss during the next use last Monday. I guess my gripe is with Horizon tech support more than the mfg. If they had fixed it right the first time I'd still have my biplane.

Garry
Apr 15, 2013, 04:10 PM
I changed my mind. I sold all of my Spektrum stuff and bought as much Hitech gear as I could get with the money. I've bought an Aurora 9 transmitter and 6 servos ....make that receivers (duh).
I flew my Intruder a few days ago using the A9 and it works great. I'm happy with my choice. This radio has more features than I know what to do with. All switches are programmable and there are mixes out the wazzoooo ! Programming is made easy with the touch screen and menu layout but, it will do things I've never thought about. Maybe I'll find a use for them someday but, right now it's still pretty much greek to me.
I LIKE this system.

Garry
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Apr 16, 2013 at 02:48 AM.
Apr 15, 2013, 04:15 PM

ROK Air Force Demo Team

I think you'll like this ....

ROKAF Black Eagles 2012 (9 min 46 sec)

Garry
Apr 15, 2013, 07:48 PM
spinn

turigy 52cc

Garry will this motor run inverted
Apr 16, 2013, 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn
Garry will this motor run inverted

Like a champ ! That's the only way I run my gassers. Most of the time the muffler won't allow a vertical mount and besides the head would stick up through the cowl.

By the way ....they have a bigger horse power 50cc for a few more bucks and it has the rear mounted carb. I think it's $212 before shipping from their USA warehouse. If I didn't already have the 52cc I'd be buying one of those.

Garry
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Apr 16, 2013 at 02:51 AM.
Apr 16, 2013, 02:12 PM
I've been eying the Turnigy's too. What are your thoughts on them? The prices are lower on a new Turnigy than on a used DA or similar, so I've been shy about buying one. I can understand and accept being a little low on power, but I have no use for an engine that needs to be fixed and adjusted all the time because of shoddy quality.
Apr 16, 2013, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jester_s1
I've been eying the Turnigy's too. What are your thoughts on them? The prices are lower on a new Turnigy than on a used DA or similar, so I've been shy about buying one. I can understand and accept being a little low on power, but I have no use for an engine that needs to be fixed and adjusted all the time because of shoddy quality.

I've only owned the one Turnigy (52cc) and it's been very reliable. I remember putting a carb kit in it not long after I bought it because the diaphram was not pulling fuel from the tank. I figured it had been sitting on the shelf so long that the diaphram had dried out and gotten stiff. A $10 carb kit fixed the problem and it's been running like a top ever since.
However, between the Turnigy and an RCG, I'd take the RCG though it costs a bit more. I have one of their 15cc engines and I'm very impressed. A lot of quality for the money and strong on power.

Garry
Apr 16, 2013, 09:42 PM
Good to know. Price isn't my biggest concern, but if I can get acceptable performance and save a few dollars I'll do it. I buy Thunder Tiger instead of OS for that reason, Hitec servos instead of Futaba, and fix up old ARFs instead of buying new ones for the same reason.
Apr 18, 2013, 11:31 AM
Not a bad way to go ...especially in this economy. I buy new ARFs (on sale) and used planes and airframes too. I bought the Turnigy 52cc for a back-up IMAC bird and it worked very well ...until I wrecked it. Dumb mistake on my part. The engine is a survivor though and should work fine on my new bird pulling less weight.
I was using a wooden 20x10 prop for better ground clearance but, changed to a 21x8 and I may try a 22x6 on the new bird. It's been so long since I've run this engine I've forgotten the RPM figures for the props I've tried so far. I have a custom prop on it now. Well, maybe I should say "modified". Benny gave me Beila that has been cut down to 20 1/2"x8. It should work OK but, it's a heavy prop. It balances very well so, I'll give it a try.

Good luck with your decision.

Garry
Jun 04, 2013, 04:03 PM

New Texas "Drone" Law

Taken from the AMA web site:

"On May 28th, the Texas State Legislature passed and sent to the Governor House Bill 912 which makes it an offense to use an unmanned aircraft to capture the image of an individual or privately owned real property with “the intent to conduct surveillance”. The bill also makes it unlawful to possess or distribute an image that was captured in violation of this law. Once signed by the Governor, the new law goes into effect September 1, 2013."

Garry
Jun 15, 2013, 01:18 AM
Very sad news for me. Today I wrecked my favorite bird .... my only IMAC plane. I had just completed a 2 turn spin and when I tried to pull out, there was no elevator response (ie. no UP). I had time to quickly check the ailerons and throttle and both were working when I heard the terrible crash into the trees in the thicket. Terry (the fisherman) was kind enough to help me hunt it down in that jungle and we found it deep inside near the biggest tree about 15 ft. off the ground. The engine was already on the ground and the airframe looked terrible. I quickly found a 16ft (?) dead limb on the ground and managed to hook the fuselage and pull the rest of the carcass to the ground. It was a long and sad trek back to the pit area. It was truly the best flying plane I've owned.

Looking at the condition of the remains, I doubt I'll ever know what caused the elevator to fail. It worked great for 1 1/2 flights today with no indication of trouble. Something suddenly failed.

Moving on however, I will now mount the DLE 55 from the wrecked Edge on my new and unfinished Ultimate 160 and put the Turnigy 52cc on my newly acquired Seagull AT-6 Texan. I hope to be able to salvage most of the electronics.

Garry
Jun 26, 2013, 01:57 PM

A Great War Story

Best Shot with a 1911. Ever.
By: Philip Bourjaily

While compiling the timeline for Pistol of the Century, our tribute to the Model 1911 in the June issue of Field & Stream, I read through many accounts of the 1911 in combat.
The most unusual shot (and possibly the best ever), made in wartime with a (Colt .45 ACP) 1911 pistol, had to be the one fired by a USAAF B-24 bomber co-pilot named Owen J. Baggett in March, 1943, in the skies over Burma. Of course, I am biased toward this one, as it involves a flying target.

On a mission to destroy a railroad bridge, Baggett's bomber squadron was intercepted by Japanese Zero fighters and his plane was badly damaged. After holding off the enemy with the top turret .50s, while the gunner tried to put out onboard fires, Baggett bailed out with the rest of the crew.
He and four others escaped the burning bomber before it exploded.
The Zero pilots circled back to strafe the parachuting crewmen, killing two and lightly wounding Baggett, who played dead in his harness, hoping the Japanese would leave him alone. Though playing dead, Baggett still drew his .45 and hid it alongside his leg…just in case.
A Zero approached within a few feet of Baggett at near stall speeds.
The pilot opened the canopy for a better look at his victim.
Baggett raised his pistol and fired four shots into the cockpit. The Zero spun out of sight. Although Baggett could never believe he had shot down a fighter plane with his pistol, at least one credible report said the plane was found crashed, the pilot thrown clear of the wreckage with a single bullet in his head.
If Baggett really did shoot down a fighter with his 1911, it has to count as one of the greatest feats ever accomplished with a .45. Baggett survived two years in a Japanese prison camp in Singapore and eventually retired from the Air Force as a colonel.

Your Freedom Wasn't & Still Isn't Free!

Thanks to Joe Jopling for this story.