New Projects - Page 9 - RC Groups
Mar 30, 2017, 10:01 PM
Thanks.
I should have caught the problem before takeoff but, nothing on the ground indicated it was nose heavy. Once airborne, I had to use full up elevator to get as far as it did.
I sent an email to Tower Hobby yesterday to file a warranty claim but, haven't heard from them yet. They should warrant this as a mfg. defect as the instructions are definitely wrong.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 12, 2017, 07:37 PM
I heard from Tower Hobby today and they have honored their warranty on my crashed Beaver. They offered to send a new Beaver but, I asked for, and got, a store credit. After the experience I had with the first Beaver, I didn't want to try another one. I'm happy with the outcome and cannot say enough good things about Tower Hobby. Their products are great, service and support are great, and they are honest folks.

I suspect I am the first customer to build and fly the Phoenix Turbo Beaver as I haven't found any customer videos (only factory vids) and the RCG thread has very few participants. One owner has built one but, has not flown it. He's aware of the CG problem now and will not fly his model until a fix is found. Tower stated that their R&D team will investigate and find a solution. The Phoenix Models Turbo Beaver is a nice ARF and should be a very good flyer once the problem is resolved.

I have ordered a different plane from Tower today ....a Great Planes Revolver 70. It's a proven flyer, very popular, and it looks great. I'll post progress here.

Garry
Apr 12, 2017, 08:14 PM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds
"I just got a Phoenix Models Tucano from Tower . It looks like it's been around for a while so I'm hoping there are no hidden problems. Glad Tower did right by you."

That should be a good one then. Most of the bugs should have been worked out so, all should be good. Are you installing electric, glow, or gas?

My first experience with Phoenix Models left me a little sour on them but, the ARF was well built and the hardware was good. I just didn't want any more surprises right now. I'll be installing one of my RCGF 15cc engines on the Revolver.

It's very hard to beat Tower Hobby for quality, price, and support.
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Apr 17, 2017 at 06:35 PM.
Apr 12, 2017, 10:08 PM
Great Planes Revolver 70" ....my new bird on the way.
Apr 16, 2017, 09:09 PM
Nice plane, electric/gas???
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Apr 17, 2017 at 06:35 PM.
Apr 16, 2017, 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog
Nice plane, electric/gas???ooopps

I'll be installing a 15cc gas engine. Aircraft weight is abt. 9 lbs so it should work well.
Apr 17, 2017, 06:30 PM
UPS dropped off "the big box" this afternoon. Looks like everything inside made the trip fine ...no damage noted so far. I've been studying the instructions and I really don't like the way the tailwheel is mounted. Looks like it could be hard on the rudder and it's hinges. I'll be replacing it with the Sullivan system .... or something like it.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFV47&P=7
Jun 15, 2017, 09:20 AM

Finished the Super Kaos

Finished. First flights were Tuesday and Wednesday. OS .61 FSR, Great Planes kit with Monokote.

Sam
Jun 15, 2017, 09:37 AM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds
Looks great, Sam! Wish I'd been there to see the maiden.
Jun 16, 2017, 11:08 AM
Lookin' good Sam.
Jun 29, 2017, 07:04 PM
The project isn't exactly new, starting with the generosity of 51pilot giving away this old airframe. But this SU26 is finally ready. I went through and fixed every small crack and bump, rehinged everything with Robart hinge points, repaired and painted the cowl, and put an EME 55 in for power.The trim scheme is from a plane owned by Frank Van Houten who flies airshows as the "Dutch rush." I should get the first flight in tomorrow or one day next week.
Jun 29, 2017, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jester_s1
The project isn't exactly new, starting with the generosity of 51pilot giving away this old airframe. But this SU26 is finally ready. I went through and fixed every small crack and bump, rehinged everything with Robart hinge points, repaired and painted the cowl, and put an EME 55 in for power.The trim scheme is from a plane owned by Frank Van Houten who flies airshows as the "Dutch rush." I should get the first flight in tomorrow or one day next week.
Looks great. Good luck with the first flight.
Jul 01, 2017, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Cover scheme looks great! Hope the re-maiden goes as well as good as it looks!
Jul 08, 2017, 05:59 PM
Quote:
WOW the SU26 looks better than it did when I first got it. It flew awesome when I was flying it with a DA50R. Good lo
luck with the new maiden.
Frank
Oct 16, 2017, 11:03 AM
I finally have the Revolver 70 ready for ground tests and engine run. It needs to be balanced and the cowl has has to be cut yet but, I can make noise with it until that's done.