Aug 22, 2015, 02:29 AM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds
Very impressive! Where did you maiden it? It looks like you have all the room in the world there.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2015, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbyrd
Very impressive! Where did you maiden it? It looks like you have all the room in the world there.
It was at Texas Motor Speedway, on the west lot. Once I dial it down I'll fly it at Tbird.....needs a lot of takeoff flaps!
Aug 22, 2015, 11:32 PM
Beautiful bird congratulations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconWings
It was at Texas Motor Speedway, on the west lot. Once I dial it down I'll fly it at Tbird.....needs a lot of takeoff flaps!
Aug 27, 2015, 12:25 PM
Thanks Joe!
Jan 21, 2016, 08:37 PM
scaleguy

Flying jets at tms

Is it available most of the time? Do you guys plan a flying session?? It is 70 miles rt to tbird for me to put in a test flight.
Let me know. Ed furche
Apr 04, 2016, 11:29 PM

New Plane

For those of you who were not at the last meeting, I won an AIRPLANE in the SAE raffle. It's a Big Stick .40 and it's currently about 3/4 complete. It's on the gear, all servos are mounted, the engine (OS .46 AX II) is mounted and I'm about to begin attaching control horns and running the control rods. It shouldn't be long until I fire up the engine and start the break-in process.

Garry
Apr 05, 2016, 07:57 AM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds
Congratulations on winning the Big Stick. They may not be the prettiest airplanes, but they sure are the best all around flyers, I've ever seen.
Apr 07, 2016, 12:36 AM
Thanks but, now I can't say "I never win anything".

Yep, before they were called Big Stick there were Ugly Sticks. You're right though, they sure don't fly ugly.

In my relatively short RC career, I've owned and flown 3 other "sticks" and wrecked all of them. This is my 4th attempt to own and fly a stick and I'm hoping to have a much longer relationship with it.
Last night I installed all of the control horns and rods. Today, I installed the receiver, battery, and switch and set all of the control throws and expo and it's ready for the first flight. I'm using a 3 cell 1000mah LIPO battery because I had a new one on hand but, I installed a voltage regulator (SBEC) in-line to protect the electronics from over-voltage.
I'll start and run the engine tomorrow. It's brand new so, the first tank of fuel will be for break-in. First flight is getting closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbyrd
Congratulations on winning the Big Stick. They may not be the prettiest airplanes, but they sure are the best all around flyers, I've ever seen.
Apr 07, 2016, 07:55 AM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds
The O.S. 46AX is a great engine choice for this airplane. I've got several AX series engines and two of the 46's in my VQ Hurricane and P-39 (gen-1). The one that's in my Hurricane was originally in a Great Planes Mustang and has lots of time on it and still just as reliable as when it was new. You might want to run more than just one tank of fuel for break-in, though. When I break mine in, I run at least two full tanks dry before trying to lean it out to max. For the first tank I run the it at 1/4 throttle and just let it run. It will probably run for about 50 minutes at that setting. Then for the second tank, I let run the tank dry at 1/3 throttle. That will take about a half hour. On the third tank, I let it run at 1/3 throttle for aprox half a tank then I start leaning out the high end and set the idle. This procedure has served my well for many years and many engines.

Any idea when you'll be at the field to maiden the Stick?

I neglected to mention that I do the break-in on the ground with the engine staked to the ground with a loop of half inch rope. I also set the model on a sheet of cardboard to soak up the oil. Gotta save those big cardboard shipping boxes for this purpose.
Last edited by Sunbyrd; Apr 07, 2016 at 08:03 AM.
Apr 07, 2016, 11:35 PM
I put the first 5 flights on the stick today and it flew great. Before flying, I ran one tank of fuel through it following the factory instructions and then ran it very rich for 4 flights and leaned out the idle on the 5th flight so I could slow down for landing. Had to keep the idle up to keep it from dying. The first 4 landings were pretty hot with several missed approaches. I had one partial flight (one lap around the field) that ended in a dead-stick. The transition was way rich and when I tried to throttle up it died. Thankfully, no damage.
So, with the help of Gary Nelson, we tweaked the needle again and flew it for a full tank. For the last flight, the engine was running like a top, smooth and powerful. Gary helped me lean out the low end so it had better idle and transition but, we kept the high speed needle on the rich side.
For break-in, I'm using 4 stroke fuel (full synthetic) because it has more lube and nitro in it ....and it's what I had on hand. I'll probably switch to 2 stroke synthetic after break-in but, on our hottest days I may switch back to the 4 stroke stuff to keep it cooler.
You're right. It's a great little engine with much more power than I expected. I'm using the factory recommended 10X6 prop for break-in and it makes a lot of power and speed. I was surprised and very pleased. The plane flys great and the engine runs great and I'm a happy pilot.
Dec 01, 2016, 12:10 PM

Another ME 262

They the 3rd time is the charm so, here goes. I've crashed two but, was able to salvage all of the electrics from no. 2 and the tail sections from both (undamaged). Since the parts were finally available, I decided to buy the 3 parts I need to re-build. The fuselage, wings, and fan nacelles should arrive tomorrow (Friday, 12/2) and I'll be able to begin the rebuild.
I really like the way this bird flys. It's one of the best EDFs I've flown and I've flown (and wrecked) a few. Very stable and predictable and moderately fast. However, I lost no. 2 because the camo paint job blended with the winter foliage on a cloudy day and it just disappeared. It was headed south low over the trees the last time I saw it so, I followed that path through the thicket to find it hangng in the last tree next to the road from the dump station ....right in line with the flight path (must have had it trimmed out perfectly). Needless to say, the mesquite tree shredded it to confetti. Did I mention that it was the first flight on this brand new bird and that I was dumb enough to fly alone at the field? Ugh.
Since the cammo paint job caused me to loose sight of it, I'm thinking about repainting this one in colors that will stand out. I know it won't be "scale" but, at least it will be visible to me. It's a WWII airplane and both the allies and the Russians grabbed many of the survivors, I'm thinking about using a Soviet paint scheme. It may be a "fantasy" paint scheme but, bright red and silver would be a LOT more visible than the factory cammo. I'm leaning toward these colors as it is a simple scheme and would be easy to do.
Dec 01, 2016, 12:36 PM
Fort Worth Thunderbirds
Sorry to hear about the first two ME-262's. Better luck with the rebuild. Personally, I think seeing one in WWII Russian colors would be great. Sure would be different and probably easier to see, as you say. I've seen pictures on line of ME-262's in Russian and Polish colors, so your paint scheme may be a fantasy but it's not too far fetched from reality. Who's to say what aircraft never got photographed. I hope I'm out at the field to see the third one.
Dec 02, 2016, 12:35 AM
I've studied the color scheme on the Freewing 64mm EDF Mig 15 ....red over silver ....and thought I would try to use it on my 262. I haven't seen the photos of the Russian or Polish ME 262s but, I'll start searching right away. Really looking forward to getting no. 3 in the air.
Dec 02, 2016, 12:47 PM
Parts arrived right on schedule. Been waiting for these parts to return to stock for almost a year and I'm happy to have finally have them. BTW - Motion RC has fast shipping and orders over $100 get free shipping.
Now it's off to Lowe's to find the paint I want. I've found that their "Valspar" brand works better than HD Behar when brushed on foam. The bad weather rolling in for the weekend should give me plenty of time to get her painted and assembled. Tentatively planning first flight for mid to late next week, depending on weather.
Dec 03, 2016, 12:33 AM
Rethinking the color scheme. Lowe's is out of Valspar 1/2 pint samples so they gave me a substitute ...which is lousy for my purpose. There's something about red that's very touchy in application. The stuff I tried to use is like trying to use oil based paint that's too thin. Doesn't cover worth a hoot and leaves ugly brush marks. Glad I had some old parts to practice on.
Think I'll go to HD tomorrow and get the dark red I have on hand. It covers very well and works OK on not showing brush streaks (Valspar showed no brush marks on the P40 I re-finished a while back)
Instead of using silver on the under-side, I've decided to brush over the camo (cow) spots on the fuselage which will leave the bottom a very light blue tinted grey (factory color) which means less painting/work. Wings, stabs, and fuselage will get dark red on top with the factory finish under.
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Dec 03, 2016 at 01:00 AM.