Feb 24, 2013, 08:41 PM
Nose down, you're gonna stall
Thread OP
I've been busy building flying wings, buying used airplanes, and trading for airplanes. Here's one I got yesterday in a trade and it's ready to fly now after installing the receiver, batteries, larger fuel tank, and shrinking the wrinkles out of the covering. It's a Great Planes Reactor Bipe with a 20cc Zenoah CDI installed. It should be a mover and shaker. It has 4 ailerons and each one full span and 4" wide. Needless to say, I'll be using lots of expo (abt 75%) and turning the travel down on all of the surfaces.

RJ
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Mar 28, 2013 at 10:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 02, 2013, 01:45 AM
Thread OP
Wow !!! I just flew this bipe for the first time today and Wow is the best way to describe it. The little 20cc Zenoah makes a rocket ship out of this bird. It really does have unlimited vertical and it gets small in a hurry. The 48" wing span is pretty small compared to what I've been flying but, the trim scheme and colors make it easy to follow.
I'm very glad I had everything set to low throws and relatively high expo (around 40%) because this bird has LARGE control surfaces ...especially the ailerons. I may increase the throw on the the ailerons for a bit faster roll rate but, I had to tune the elevator down a bit as it was too sensitive on the first flight. The rudder doesn't take much movement to get a lot of response.
Inverted flight is so smooth and the plane so well balanced that no control input is needed once established in level flight.
The wind was just right for the first flight and the plane handled it very well. I shot a couple of landings and they were uneventful and very predictable. I wouldn't call it docile but, not unmanageable for an experienced pilot. However, I did run out of gas on the first flight but, recovered back to the runway with no damage ...just a couple of bounces.
I should have quit after the first flight because the wind came up hard and was gusting up to at least 20mph. Being hard headed and feeling my oats after the first flight, I cranked her up and took off. Upwind (to the north) was much slower than before, obviously, but, downwind she picked up the tailwind and it was a very short trip. Unfortunately, I ran out of gas on this flight too but, was unable to make either runway due to the headwind. I plopped her down in a short tree out in the south end thicket and punched some holes in the monokote on the bottom wing. There were a couple of fellow pilots there to help me retrieve this little girl and we found no damage other than the monokote. So, I have some patches to make before I can fly her again.
I'm NOT going to drag my feet on repairing this one because she's just too much FUN!.
Oh, I also need to check the plumbing on my gas tank as I think I'm not getting it full. The tank is about 12 to 14 oz and should last a lot longer than 5 min.

Garry

NOTE: I really hate reporting this but, the Reactor is dead. First take-off Saturday was the last take-off it will every make. After lift-off it began a slow bank and turn to the right that no amount of stick movement could control. Absolutely no control. It reached a height of about 10 feet in a near knife edge and lost altitude until the right wing struck the ground just east of the grass runway. Parts scattered for about 20 ft. as it came apart on impact. At the end of the sting of pieces was the fuselage and wings ....both broken in half.
I haven't tested anything yet but, I feel pretty sure the engine is OK as the wing and fuselage absorbed most of the impact. The wiring was ripped out of one of the wing servos but, the APC prop wasn't even chipped.
Other than receiver lockout, I don't have a clue as to the cause. The receiver was an AR6200 (DSM2) with satellite. I've been using AR7000 (DSM2) receivers in my planes for a long time and never had a glitch but, I'll be replacing all of them with DSMX receivers as time and money allows. Fortunately, I have a DSMX AR8000 in my 30% Edge.
I range tested the AR6200 yesterday and it passed OK. There was a slight delay in recovery after releasing the range test button on my DX7S. I'm not sure if that indicates a problem or not. My transmitter returned about 6 weeks ago from Horizon after repair to the antenna circuit (it was dropped). I've used it many times since without a problem but, I may send it in again for a check up just to be sure.
I really hate loosing that bird. I liked it a lot. RIP

RJ
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Mar 28, 2013 at 10:45 PM.
Mar 02, 2013, 11:34 AM
LOL..........dang Garry, you have been busy.

Here is my latest ARF project; the OMP/EGAircraft Extra 300, 50cc. No maiden yet but it's ready to fly. If this fly's as good as some of the post's up on FG indicate it does I'll probably sell my 102" Yak 55. This 88" Extra will be a little more manageable for me regarding storage and hauling it around.
Last edited by Capt. Roll; Jun 07, 2013 at 04:49 PM.
Mar 03, 2013, 03:00 PM
Thread OP
UPDATE on the Chipmunk:
I put 3 flights on it yesterday. The first was a trim flight and I found it needed some programming. I added elevator and aileron throw and tweaked the high end of the carb. Second flight was much better, very smooth and the engine ran great in transition and high throttle. It still had a small amount of 4 stroking at the low end but, nothing to be concerned about. I refueled and took off for the third flight and she was trimmed out and flying very smooth, straight, and level. Inverted took very little forward stick and I started to put it through a few maneuvers ...loops, rolls, 1/2 cubans, immelman, etc. However, when I pulled the power back at the top of a hammer it died. The plane was at the north end and up high and heading down wind in a hurry I added full flaps hoping to slow it down enough to make a 180 to the runway but, was too low by the time I got to the turn. I managed a 90 deg. turn heading now toward the driveway and set it down in the rough just short of the junk pile and as soon as the wheels touched they struck a hole or rut and suddenly stopped. The left wing was ripped off and the inboard half was destroyed. The right wing suffered damage too but, is still mostly together.
It's a great flying bird and I hope I can repair it or get it repaired or find more wings for it. It's very graceful and my concerns about the G38 were put to rest. It pulls this plane very well. It doesn't have unlimited vertical but, it has enough.

If anyone has or knows who might have a set of wings, please let me know.

Garry
Mar 03, 2013, 03:08 PM
Thread OP
Capt. Roll

Very nice. I'm sure she will fly well for you. The trim scheme and colors should make it very visible in the air.
I think 50cc is just the right size for flight and convenience. I think you made a wise choice.

Speaking of getting airplanes ready to fly. There are a few things I need to do to prep my 50cc bird for the season and I need to get started on it.

Garry
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Mar 03, 2013 at 03:14 PM.
Mar 24, 2013, 08:27 PM
spinn

88" Yak reduild

I took in an 88" Yak with no gear bay or stringers.
Had to do some guessing.

Ready for power and radio.

Can't decide go gas with a Turnigy 52cc 166.00

or electric with Turnigy RotoMax 50cc Size Brushless Outrunner Motor 179.00
and ESC 180.00
and I might just sell her rx and motor ready 200.00
Mar 25, 2013, 01:39 PM
Thread OP
I have a Turnigy 52cc and it's a great running engine. I can recommend it. I had it mounted on an old 80" Edge 540 that weighed a ton and it pulled it around great. I used it as a back-up for my IMAC bird.
That engine makes about 4.3HP and I was using a 20x10 prop for clearance and then went to a 21x8. It worked great with either prop. Sorry but, I don't remember the rpm. It's been a while since I've used the engine.

I will mount it on the Great Planes Ultimate 160 I just ordered.

Good luck with your Yak. At that price, it shouldn't last long if you decide to sell.

Garry
Mar 28, 2013, 10:21 PM
Thread OP
Since my Reactor Bipe died a sudden and ugly death last weekend, I thought I'd buy another Biplane and press my luck. The Reactor made me a great admirer of high performance bipes in the short time I had it.

I just took delivery of a Great Planes Ultimate bipe (65" ws). I had my eye on this one before the Reactor died but, as long as the Reactor was flying I didn't need another one. Anyway, I studied the GP Ultimate hard before making he purchase. All reports are very good and there are several mods to make it more durable. It's reported to be a great performer with a 50cc engine mounted and I have one on hand to install. There must be a strong attraction to this bird as the RCU thread started in 2005 is still going strong today with approx. 6.5k posts.
Tower put this bird on sale and with the member discount it was a real bargain. I'll be taking my time with assembly and make sure I get everything right.

RJ
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Mar 30, 2013 at 01:16 PM. Reason: correction
Mar 29, 2013, 12:00 PM
Electric Coolhunter
I have an insane number of projects on the table right now. Must get a few complete soon for our upcoming warbird event.

Here are some highlights of what is on my bench (this covers most of the alrger models in work):

Repainted and improved Dynam Me-262.
Eflite Hawker Hurricane 25e-stock
Great Planes Dirty Birdie electric conversion for Senior pattern.
Eflite Super Cub 25e-stock
Seagull Miles Sparrowhawk .90, converted to Power 110 elerctic.
Seagul Percival Mew Gull .90, convered to Power 110 electric
79" giant scale foam P-40 for .60 electric and 6S power (from Banana Hobby, made by LX in China-stock
Scratch built/own design 80" electric Tupolev ANT-6/TB-2 four engine pre WWII heavy bomber.
84" kit built RB/WB-57F high altitude recconassiance aircraft (GD conversion of the Martin B-57 with larger wings and engines) This is from a Savage Brothers semi kit and was sold by EAM in Lewisville for a few years.
Latest blog entry: RC events for 2019!
Mar 29, 2013, 03:57 PM
Thread OP
Wow Tom. Are we gonna get to see you at the field anytime this year?

Garry
Apr 09, 2013, 01:19 AM
Thread OP

Unboxing the Ultimate

I finally began unboxing my Great Planes Ultimate 160 tonight and all I can say is WOW !!! I thought it looked good in the pictures but, it's absolutely gorgeous in person and I haven't even taken the plastic off the parts yet. That big red fuselage sitting in the box looks enormous and just blew me away. I pulled all of the hardware out of the box and put the bags in separate containers.
It appears to be very well built ....very solid. I felt around the the parts to find out how much of it is sheeted and I'm quite happy with it. It feels strong and looks strong.
I'll probably start assembly tomorrow or Wed. I need to complete some honey-do's before I start on it or "the boss" will not be happy. Once I start I don't like to stop. At my age, I might forget where to start again.
I'm really looking forward to getting it in the air.

Garry
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Apr 09, 2013 at 02:30 PM.
Apr 16, 2013, 02:40 AM
Thread OP
Hey, I started assembly last week and got the lower wing assembled and the servos mounted in it. The last couple of days I've been working on the fuselage. I got the gear under it and the engine mounted (52cc Turnigy) and the elevator and rudder servos mounted. It's looking more like an airplane everyday.
Oh yeah, I got the cabane struts mounted too. I'm not exactly following the manual but, I like to get them standing on their legs as soon as I can. I'll mount the horizontal and vertical and install the elevators and rudder next and then build the upper wing.
I have limited space on my bench and I'm running out of room. Each wing is 65" long but, the fuselage is shorter and easy to move around so far. Once I get the tail feathers on it I may be really pressed for space. I'll install all of the innards before I assemble the wings to the fuselage as it's much easier to do without them attached.
This bird will be comparatively easy to assemble at the field as the wings detach and assemble via a thumb screw system in the wing struts. It will take longer to put together than my 50cc Edge but, easier than most other biplanes this size.
I LIKE it !

Garry
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Apr 16, 2013 at 03:07 AM.
May 03, 2013, 06:15 PM

Sig Wonder

Not nearly as sophisticated as many of the other projects I see in the Thunderbirds, but I've finished my Sig Wonder that another member here gave to me a couple of months ago. It will take its first flight probably next weekend. It's finished in turquoise ultracote and black and white monokote.

May 22, 2013, 02:07 PM
Thread OP

Mr. Chips Will Fly Again

Thanks to James and Jason Meadows, I bought a new set of wings for my GP Super Chipmunk. I picked them up from Jason at the club meeting Monday night (5/20). I built them and mounted them to the center section last night and he's ready for a new receiver, batteries, and trim-out. If all goes well, I'll test fly him tomorrow (Thurs 5/23).
I'm very excited to see him fly again.

Garry
Jun 05, 2013, 08:45 PM
Thread OP

Chipmunk

I flew the Chipmunk on Thursday, 5/23, and the first flight went well but, it needed more throw on the ailerons and elevator. So, I landed it after about 5 min. and took off again. All went well for about 3 min. and then the engine dropped in RPM just above idle. It eventually died as I made my approach and floated beyond the south end of the runway. It is rough as a cob out there and, although I touched down well, it ripped the gear out. So, I've spent the last week or so repairing it in my spare time. As it turns out, the throttle rod came loose from the servo arm so, I fixed that too. It should stay put now.
It's now repaired and the mounts are beefed up and ready to fly again. I'm hoping for lighter winds and decent weather tomorrow. (Thurs. 6/6).

See you at the field,
Garry

Quick Reply