Jan 25, 2013, 11:26 PM
Nose down, you're gonna stall
Thread OP
Discussion

Gas

For all of the "gasaholics".

Got Gas ?

RJ
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Apr 10, 2019 at 12:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 24, 2013, 03:03 AM
Thread OP
I currently own 5 gas engines beginning with a DLE 55 on my Edge 540, a Turnigy 52cc that's not mounted on anything right now, a 38cc Zenoah with CDI, a 20cc Zenoah with CDI (not started yet), and a RCG 15cc with CDI. I have also owned a couple of 26cc gas engines that I have since parted with. I can honestly say that everyone of them have been very good engines in my opinion. They are generally easy to start and reliable once properly tuned (I've experienced a bit of a learning curve with them ). The cost is now favorably comparable to 2 and 4 stroke engines and the cost of operation is extremely low in comparison. 3.50 per gallon with about 3oz of good oil mixed in is a far site cheaper than $15 to $20 per gallon for nitro. Additionally, gasoline engines are far more efficient using about half the quantity of fuel as nitro for the same duration flight.
I've also come to appreciate and like 4 stroke nitro engines. I own 3 Saitos and really like the performance and reliability. I am currently using one of my FA-80s on an H9 Fokker DVII and I have an FA-.91 mounted on a World Models Intruder 90. Both engines are a joy to run now that I've finally figured out how to tune them.
As much as I like the 4 strokes I would still choose gas over them, especially now that Evolution has introduced their 10cc (.61 cui equivalent) gas engine. All indications are that it's a winner and I expect to see the other major brands follow suite.

Garry
Feb 26, 2013, 01:34 AM
Thread OP

New 10cc Gas Engine by Evolution

Here's a link to the discussion thread about this engine on Flying Giants. Very interesting ...especially for SPA.

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=79094

Garry
Aug 05, 2013, 07:49 PM
Thread OP

RCG 15cc Gas is actually Larger in volume.

FWIW .....
While watching airplane videos on UTube, I found one concerning the RCG 15cc engine. A fella had disassembled a new engine for a thorough inspection before mounting and starting. He found a bit of junk/dirt inside (results of the mfg process) and cleaned it out but, happened to mention that this engine is actually 19.2cc instead of 15cc. If you calculate the bore/stroke dimensions it does come out to that result. I've heard of fudging the numbers to show bigger results but, not smaller. Go figure.
I have one of these engines and it runs very strong using the recommended 15x8 prop but, never questioned the actual size of it. I just marveled at how they were able to get 2.1 HP out of 15cc. Well, now I know.

Garry
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Aug 05, 2013 at 08:15 PM.
Sep 10, 2013, 05:45 PM
Thread OP

New Gas Engine Products

FYI ....
There's a new player in the gas engine game ...AGM Engines. They are located in the US on our west coast and currently offering a 30cc engine for sale at $179 and an engine LEASE option.
I've been following a thread on RCU about this company and it's efforts to establish a market here. They appear to be very sincere about customer satisfaction and support.

http://www.agm-engine.com/agm3030cc-...l#.UgKiXKyubpI

Garry
Dec 19, 2013, 01:25 PM
Where do you guys buy the good synthetic 2 stroke oil for gassers around Fort Worth? Home Depot has the regular stuff, but I get the impression that it's going to cause carbon to build up and won't keep the engine as cool? I suppose I also should ask for a recommendation regarding 2 stroke oil as in which to buy and why.
Dec 19, 2013, 09:12 PM
Thread OP
I don't use synthetic. I use good old "Penzoil Outdoor". It's reported to be the cleanest burning and best protecting natural lubricant for two strokes on the market. If I were a high level contestant in any form of competition, I might find synthetics extend the life engines but, I'll never fly enough hours to wear out an engine on the natural stuff so, I don't worry about synthetic. The Penzoil stuff is not too easy to find locally so, I web order ten 8oz bottles at a time from Troy Built and it comes out to a bit over $2 a bottle as I recall. I can mix a little over 4 gallons with each bottle at 40 to 1 (as recommended for most engines).
I still have about 6 or 7 bottles remaining from my first order and at the rate I'm going, I don't know when I'll have to buy more.

Garry
Dec 20, 2013, 05:33 PM
I agree, Pennzoil is as good as you'll find for a two cycle mineral oil. However as Gary mentioned it is hard to find locally.

I'm using the Stihl Ultra HP, a full synthetic. It has an excellent service record/reputation; and I've found that most ACE Hardware stores carry it in a variety of sizes. The Stihl HP (mineral oil) is also a very good two cycle oil.

Redline is another very good synthetic generally found at motorcycle dealers.
Dec 20, 2013, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdyjoe
FYI ....
There's a new player in the gas engine game ...AGM Engines. They are located in the US on our west coast and currently offering a 30cc engine for sale at $179 and an engine LEASE option.
I've been following a thread on RCU about this company and it's efforts to establish a market here. They appear to be very sincere about customer satisfaction and support.

Garry
Did you follow the AMG thread on Flying Giants. LOL............went south in a hurry! I was hoping it may be a promising engine, apparently not so.
Dec 20, 2013, 07:30 PM
Thread OP
I've been following the AGM engine experience on RC Universe and all appears to be well.
I just read the Giants AGM thread and all looks good there too.

Please post a link to the thread you're referring to.

Thanks,
Garry
Dec 22, 2013, 01:38 AM
Thread OP
Ah Ha ! I wonder why I never found that thread when searching for info on those engines? Oh well, thanks for the info. I'll be passing on that brand unless and until the reports get better.
Looks like "AussieSteve" has that Chinaman's number etched in his brain. Wow, he certainly doesn't like his business model, does he?

Good grief Gerty, what a piece of junk. Check out this video. http://www.3drcforums.com/showthread...m-30-cc-motora

Garry
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Dec 22, 2013 at 01:57 AM.
Jan 15, 2014, 06:20 PM

AGM Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdyjoe
FYI ....

Garry
Hey Garry Tim and I got new 30cc planes over the hollidays and are fitting them with the AGM engines. The engines look just like the the DLE 30cc engine. We'll see how they run in a few weeks. Tim got a Extra 300 and I got the Sbach 342.
Frank
Jan 18, 2014, 01:57 AM
Thread OP
Congrats and good luck Frank. I hope you guys have better quality in your engines than I saw in the video I posted.
If the engines will perform well, you're gonna like gas ....and the best thing is there's no beans involved.

Garry
Jan 25, 2014, 11:24 PM
This will be my 6th gas engine. I really like the way they run and you cant beat the price of the fuel or the economy you get with gas. I've got 50cc DL, 50cc DA,80cc ZDZ, 30cc DLE, and now a AGM 30cc. We'll soon see how they work out for us. Frank

Quick Reply