Jan 25, 2013, 11:22 PM
Nose down, you're gonna stall
Thread OP
Discussion

Float Planes

This is the spot. Keep scrolling down until you find what you're looking for.

Events and contest coverage will be highlighted in yellow.

Garry
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Aug 08, 2013 at 04:40 PM. Reason: update
to remove ads between posts
Jan 29, 2013, 02:58 PM
Thread OP

Winter Float Fly 2013

The winter float fly will be held on Nov. 9, 2013.

More info later.

CD is Garry Rife. Please contact him via email at [email protected] or post a message here.

RJ
Feb 02, 2013, 10:48 PM
Thread OP
For those of you who like float planes ....

43 Grupo 2012 (4 min 36 sec)

Garry
Feb 12, 2013, 04:37 PM

plane to sell

got a mariner sea plane with os 60 in it , nice plane , $250 cadmn (682)564-4199
10A-10P M-f Negotiable
Feb 12, 2013, 09:01 PM
Thread OP
Pictures make a big difference. If you have some please post them.

Garry
Feb 18, 2013, 06:09 PM
For you guys who fly float planes a lot, I'm refurbishing a H9 Cub and have built a set of floats for it. I've been flying it with a Magnum .52 4 stroke which it takes off fine with but it's just barely enough power to fly it in any kind of wind. It will do small loops with a little dive before and will pull maybe 25 feet of vertical to do a stall turn. My question is how much drag do floats add? Should I expect to have takeoff or flying problems with an engine this small?
Feb 19, 2013, 12:26 PM
Thread OP
What is the total weight of the plane with floats and a full tank of fuel?

Garry
Feb 19, 2013, 06:45 PM
All I have is a bathroom scale which may get me within a pound but not much better. It's designed to fly on a .46 2 stroke and did quite well. It's a little heavier after the refurb so it's definitely going to be scalelike without much headroom at all. What I'm curious about though is simply how much difference the floats make.
Feb 19, 2013, 09:24 PM
Thread OP
The added weight and drag of the floats will tell the tale. If it's barely getting around now, it will do worse with the floats. Maybe you should go back to the 2 stroke?

Garry
Feb 19, 2013, 11:32 PM
I may need to do that. Thanks.
Apr 07, 2013, 06:31 PM
Thread OP

Interesting Video - PanAm Clipper

Here's one for the Float Plane folks ....

The Long Way Home-The Pacific Clipper.m4v (5 min 17 sec)

Garry
Oct 04, 2013, 07:01 PM
Thread OP

Winter Float Fly

NOV. 9 AT LAKE WORTH.
Open to all types of R/C seaplane and float plane models. Come join us at beautiful Camp Joy Park on Watercress Drive in Lake Worth, TX for a great float fly. We will have a number of awards for different types of models (gas/glow and electric) and a raffle!!
GPS Coordinates: 32.8145, -97.4905
AMA required. This is an AMA sanctioned event. Landing fee is $20.00. Pilot lunch included.
Club web site http://www.fwthunderbirds.org

Garry
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Oct 04, 2013 at 11:05 PM.
Nov 10, 2013, 12:59 AM
Thread OP

Thunderbirds Winter Float Fly

Another great float fly took place today and we had great fun. 26 pilots registered and we kicked off officially at 9AM with the pilots meeting, although some had started earlier. I guess everyone was ready for some wet fun.
The wind was blowing harder than forecast and hit was challenging but, it didn't seem to stop anyone from flying. We had several first time float pilots who succeeded in slipping the surly bonds of Lake Worth. We had a few who hit the water a bit hard and others that were turned over by the wind but, were able to retrieve most all of the pieces.
We had float planes of all shapes and sizes but, the Flyzone Beaver appeared to be the most popular bird of choice. I counted 7 of them in the "Beaver Squadron". Both electric and glow planes were well represented. Tom Blakeney was able to find and attach floats to his giant Carbon Cub and put that bird through it's large bag of tricks. It flies exceptionally well from water and has gobs of power. E-flite has hit a home run with this plane.

If you missed the fun this time around, get yourself a float plane and join the us next year.

Thanks to everyone who attended and especially those who helped host the event. I couldn't have done it without the help of Tom Blakeney, Tab Bowland, Woody Lake, Terry Thorpe, Gary Nelson and all of the pilots who made our job much easier and a LOT of fun.

Garry
Last edited by rowdyjoe; Nov 12, 2013 at 10:27 PM.
Nov 10, 2013, 05:18 PM
Thread OP

Winter Float Fly 2013

Thanks to Richard Ng, we have many more great photos of this event. Just click the link.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2009839

Garry
Aug 05, 2014, 12:33 PM
Thread OP

Summer Float Fly 2014

Video courtesy of Woody ....

FW Thunderbirds Float Fly Aug 2014 (3 min 33 sec)

Quick Reply