New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:49 PM
derpron is offline
Find More Posts by derpron
darn you, kakka carrot cake.
derpron's Avatar
Discussion

where can i get grub screws?


I HATE HEX SCREWS. i keep stripping them, its really annoying because i bought an expensive hex tool set and i cant get any of my pinion gears off my motors because the grub screws have been stripped. and when i do get them off and put them on a different motor, i cant fasten them down because, well, the screw is stripped.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:10 PM
SoloProFan is online now
Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Fan of just about anything RC
SoloProFan's Avatar
Are you sure you have good quality hex tools? Sometimes softer metal is used for the tips of the hex screwdrivers and you end up stripping the screws. As for better screws, I hear "Tony's Screws" are pretty good.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:22 PM
derpron is offline
Find More Posts by derpron
darn you, kakka carrot cake.
derpron's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
Are you sure you have good quality hex tools? Sometimes softer metal is used for the tips of the hex screwdrivers and you end up stripping the screws. As for better screws, I hear "Tony's Screws" are pretty good.
yeah its probably the screws that are not hard enough. im talking about hobbyking pinions...

my hex driver set: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...t_1_5_3_0.html

although these hex drivers are starting to strip the red paint on the tips.
Last edited by derpron; Jan 25, 2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:24 PM
wparsons is online now
Find More Posts by wparsons
Registered User
wparsons's Avatar
I don't know where you can get just the screws on their own, but I would bet that the HK pinions come with soft metal grub screws.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:11 PM
derpron is offline
Find More Posts by derpron
darn you, kakka carrot cake.
derpron's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I don't know where you can get just the screws on their own, but I would bet that the HK pinions come with soft metal grub screws.
yeah, thats why they are $2.30 a piece hah.

what do you use?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:15 PM
wparsons is online now
Find More Posts by wparsons
Registered User
wparsons's Avatar
I tend to buy robinson pinions, that's what my LHS carries the most selection of.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:28 PM
derpron is offline
Find More Posts by derpron
darn you, kakka carrot cake.
derpron's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I tend to buy robinson pinions, that's what my LHS carries the most selection of.
ah yeah. its just a decent grub screw that i need. the pinion its self is pretty good.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:11 AM
SoloProFan is online now
Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Fan of just about anything RC
SoloProFan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I don't know where you can get just the screws on their own, but I would bet that the HK pinions come with soft metal grub screws.
Quite likely. Also, it could be the tips of the HK hex drivers are softer than is good for them...

Kyosho also has decent pinion screws and I tend to think almost every other brand uses harder grade steel...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:18 AM
mredzadventure is offline
Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Kowalski !.....Options
mredzadventure's Avatar
I don't know if these will work with your brand of pinions. These are a harder steel and may work better even though they are still hex screws
But other brands make them.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX3483&P=7

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...r-5mm-Pinion-5

A good set of hex drivers will never let you down. I have these for over 5 years now with out any problems. I absolutely love them. http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...odId=LOSA99109
http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...odId=LOSA99104
Last edited by mredzadventure; Jan 26, 2013 at 08:24 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:28 AM
derpron is offline
Find More Posts by derpron
darn you, kakka carrot cake.
derpron's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mredzadventure View Post
I don't know if these will work with your brand of pinions. These are a harder steel and may work better even though they are still hex screws
But other brands make them.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX3483&P=7

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...r-5mm-Pinion-5

A good set of hex drivers will never let you down. I have these for over 5 years now with out any problems. I absolutely love them. http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...odId=LOSA99109
http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...odId=LOSA99104
holy.....dats some spensive drivers you got there. mine cost $4. >.<
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:54 AM
mredzadventure is offline
Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Kowalski !.....Options
mredzadventure's Avatar
Yes but if you average the cost over the last 5 years it's pretty reasonable. I have 10 Cars and trucks to wrench on and 5 airplanes to keep in the air. They get used a lot. I only bought those because Snap -On didn't make any Try the steel set screw they will work better for you.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:36 AM
DG40 is offline
Find More Posts by DG40
Sam Adams Fan
DG40's Avatar
Some Agway stores carries grub screws that'll work.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Where can I get this open GoPro mount? 98 SNAKE EATER Aerial Photography 2 Jan 24, 2013 12:25 PM
Help! Does anybody know where you can get a 700 quad frame? sire162 Multirotor Talk 1 Jan 21, 2013 10:16 PM
Discussion Where can I get this MiG29? Uusitalo Foamy EDFs 0 Jan 07, 2013 01:15 PM
Help! where to get grub screws? tymbrewolf Power Systems 7 Jun 02, 2009 09:27 PM
Discussion pinions 10T with grub screw for 3100kv brushless - where to get? turnbui Micro Helis 5 Oct 17, 2007 05:37 PM