Jan 24, 2013, 09:05 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Am I Crazy.....I've been thinking Polyhedral DLG with spoilers...should I be put away

I'm always screwing around and doing something different. So I'm getting ready to build a balsa build up DLG,just for fun.

I got a short kit for the 60" balsa "Manta" DLG. But because I like changing things (for better or worse) I'm going to change the wing and make it a Polyhedral wing. I just want something fun to play with.

I know it wont be easy to control the landings like a standard DLG with flaps. So I was thinking (which sometimes hurts) why not add spoilers like my big 3M planes to help with landings. Is this a crazy idea,or am I just totally nuts.

What do you think? Maybe I should start building RC submarines.

Hog
to remove ads between posts
Jan 24, 2013, 10:40 PM
in awe of glide...
Hey, why not?!

You could prob pull it all together with one servo.
Jan 25, 2013, 11:49 AM
Will fly for food
What type of spoilers would you put on the submarine?
Jan 25, 2013, 12:58 PM
G_T
G_T
Even for poly, I'd suggest flaps rather than spoilers. Flaps will be generally useful in thermals (perhaps 1mm) whereas spoilers are not. Flaps will be useful in small degree to improve float (again, perhaps 1mm or even 2), if designed appropriately. Spoilers are not. Flaps do not disturb the flow over the forward portion of the wing, whereas the hinge and joints of a spoiler likely would cause premature turbulent transition which would negatively affect the performance of the wing in many cases. Additionally, with spoilers, the required flying speed increases, whereas with flaps, it decreases. IMHO, flaps make more sense for glide path control.

Gerald.
Jan 25, 2013, 01:18 PM
Sure it'll work
Maybe go completely out of the box and use a chute for brakes.

You just may be crazy, and/or simply have too much time on your hands (envy)....but neither matters as long as you are having fun, and not harming anyone

Bill
Jan 25, 2013, 01:39 PM
Transplant Chey WY from Reno
Quote:
Originally Posted by hog2soar
I know it wont be easy to control the landings like a standard DLG with flaps. So I was thinking (which sometimes hurts) why not add spoilers like my big 3M planes to help with landings. Is this a crazy idea,or am I just totally nuts.

Hog

Hog,

Poly's with flaps are really nice. I had my Photon I poly with 90 degree flaps on one servo. It permitted me to do 45 degree down approaches very nicely. I basically got spoiled with it since I have yet to get that kind of action with a flaperon ship and still keep control. The polyhedral permit you to turn the plane with full flaps even when very slow. I know a lot of polys that have flown in DLG competitions with flaps.

Do it!

As for spoilers, they control glide path but the plane still keeps flying faster than you might like.

Chris
Jan 25, 2013, 02:39 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys.

I think I'll look into doing flaps. Makes more sence. Even for a nut.

Anyone ever do flaps using a single servo in the fuselage? Is that possible?

Another thing to think about and try.

Hog
Jan 25, 2013, 02:56 PM
G_T
G_T
Certainly possible, and that's the way you'd want to do it.

Gerald
Jan 25, 2013, 03:04 PM
in awe of glide...
Quote:

Hog
it looks like Thermaln2 did just that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaln2
Hog,

Poly's with flaps are really nice. I had my Photon I poly with 90 degree flaps on one servo.
Chris
So, thermaln2, how did you do it? Im thinking of putting a single servo flap set up on my mimi.

I would think a single servo mounted in the root of the wing controlling some linkage OR perhaps some strings and springs similar to rudder and elevator conrols.
Jan 25, 2013, 03:17 PM
Suspended Account
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Last edited by DLGjunkyard; Sep 27, 2018 at 05:05 AM.
Jan 25, 2013, 03:21 PM
Spy's sappin' my thermal!
Mark Drela's Aegea I used a single flap servo in the fuse, which actuated control horns sticking into the fuse via pushrod. Take a look at the plans here: http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articles/aegea2m/fuse.pdf

This would be very similar to the torque arm system used on a few DLGs, including the Steigeisen if I'm not mistaken. There will be some challenge to designing the linkage, since the flap horns won't move in plane with each other, but nothing a bit of fiddling and testing can't overcome.
Jan 25, 2013, 03:26 PM
the kitty litter of rcgroups
Quote:
I have had 3 REF DLG models with 3 servos all in the fuselage. All had V center dihedral 2 separate flaps and were actuated by pull spring.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Jan 25, 2013, 03:39 PM
the kitty litter of rcgroups
I should note my solution on the pull spring flap deal had a good amount of fiddlyness to it.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Jan 25, 2013, 03:51 PM
Hog:

Like Thermaln2, I had a Photon, and the flap was especially nice.

However, my current poly ship is RE only, and while a real challenge to bring in on the spot, on time, I wouldn't add either a flap or spoiler. But, that's just me; not a statement for or against.

One thing for sure - my poly ship is delightful, mostly because while it always does pretty much what I want, it never does exactly what I want. It requires thought, patience and foresight to get out of it what it can really do.

Yours, Greg
Jan 25, 2013, 03:57 PM
Transplant Chey WY from Reno
This was the original source leading up to the Photon 1: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...86&postcount=2

Quick Reply