Dec 23, 2003, 09:01 PM
Thread OP

Ok, how about this SR-71 anyone??

How many of you would have an interest in an SR-71 for two mini fans??

Retracts, all glass even the wings, yada, yada, yada.

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Dec 23, 2003, 10:59 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Yes!!
Latest blog entry: My 2022 event schedule.
Dec 23, 2003, 11:00 PM
A-4 nut!!
Cool! You must be board and looking for a challange!
Dec 23, 2003, 11:05 PM
I'd consider it. I have always liked this plane.
Dec 23, 2003, 11:09 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
Sounds cool to me

I had considered hacking one out of foam some day since I didn't think anyone would kit the thing. But then here comes Steve to save me from making a huge mess!

I have two minifans sitting. Oh, and motors too.

What would you do with the inlet spikes? They pose a bit of a problem.

I think the model should have that kink in the tip section. It helps keep the nose up, makes it more stable and most important of all, looks really neat.

Steve C
Dec 23, 2003, 11:21 PM
Steve,

OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

I was hoping your new avatar was a hint at this. Sign me up for one right away!

Rob
Dec 23, 2003, 11:26 PM
Here's some suggestions for the diffuser cones (inlet spikes):

1. Just leave them off. The easiest thing to do.

2. Make them removeable for flight. Makes for a good flying model and a nice display model.

3. Make 2-D profile diffusers. A set will have a horizontal profile piece and a vertical profile piece. Will look about right in flight.

4. Add cheater holes/blow-in doors to the nacelles to provide the needed air flow. Most complicated, but biggest potential pay-off.

Rob
Dec 23, 2003, 11:42 PM
Thread OP
Wow! What a response.

About those cheater holes. This might be helpful.

Steve,

The kink stays, very important.

Thanks guys,

Steve
Dec 23, 2003, 11:46 PM
A-4 nut!!
Steve,
The 2-D diffuser that NCC-1701 suggested is the way that Yellow aircraft does it with their twin OS 91 nitro monster. It works good and you can't tell the diff unless your closer than about 2 feet.
Dec 24, 2003, 12:28 AM
Electric Coolhunter
Ditto on the 2D fake shock cones ala the Yellow Aircraft model. It is the way to go, as the model looks pretty silly in the air without them.

Steve, I predict that if you go ahead, you will do such a great job on this thing that you will never be able to keep up with the demand, and will have to farm out the glass work...

You might consider a a modular mold for the nose, so you can also create a YF-12A, more or less, from the same tooling
Latest blog entry: My 2022 event schedule.
Dec 24, 2003, 12:31 AM
high-speed freak
I'd buy one in a second. same as a model of the x-29.

how about making the diffusers out of moulded black open weave cloth or black metal screen? something very porous that will pass most air while doing as little as possible to the airflow. get 2 feet from the model and you can't tell there are holes in it..
Dec 24, 2003, 01:08 AM
Whats the old Saying "Build it and they will come" !!! Count me in too !!

BTW the "Enterprise" bridge is my wallpaper GREAT Stuff Steve!!
Dec 24, 2003, 02:17 AM
smug in granny panties
I think since it would be all molded, you'd be way ahead of the weight game, and since bigger is cool, why not scale it up a tad and leave everything scale, maybe shrink the cone just a bit and get the rest from the ducts in the back.

Barry
Dec 24, 2003, 02:18 AM
Hey Steve!

I thought your Avatar change was a sign of things to come

I would definitely be interested!

I would be cautious however, in that some threads I have read about the Yellow Aircraft version, appear to indicate that the design does not have very good flight characteristics.

Regards!

Paul
Dec 24, 2003, 03:59 AM
Hi All

I like the SR-71 and will help if you want. I only have a few problems with it though:

1) SIZE!

What is the length of this going to be? Perhaps a removable nose section will cure the transportation issue.

2) Flight characteristics.

I know the real one goes Mach3+ ...in a straight line!

...but what about turns,rolls ,loops etc which will be inevitable with all of us CRAZY modelers out there.

How will it handle a stall for example. I don't think an onboard computer should be a prerequisite for stability in an R/C model.

3)Runway length

this needs to be addressed before anything else ,unless it will be bungeed....

IT would be cool!! But I don't know about Huge sales potential with the above issues to resolve.

Not trying to put out any fires.... just trying not to get burned

Bruce

Quick Reply