Feb 14, 2013, 11:03 PM
Winging it Ò>
tom-tom, that is so very cool. Probably a world record too... 3 RC VTOLs flying together at the same time. Kudos to Foam&Tape for pulling this together; wow!!!!
to remove ads between posts
Feb 14, 2013, 11:50 PM
MULTI ENGINE FANACTIC
PETER and LEADFEATHER,
Guys, remember you said in the development of the Quad, that you´ll authorize everybody to build all your VTOLs?

I REALLY would like to build one, guys, could you help me with info?
My real concern is the Arduino and Coding thing, have no idea...

Pls

Thanks a LOT, guys!
Feb 15, 2013, 07:10 AM
Winging it Ò>
Cesar,

In my opinion; by far; the easiest way to do a successful VTOL project at this time (in terms of coding/programing) is a 4 fan tilt quadcopter integrated into a suitable fixed wing airframe. You can do this with any flight control board using only the standard quad copter controls for hover. If you use a KK board, you shouldn't need a computer at all, the gyro tuning is done with little adjustable pots (potentiometers) on the board. Example of this approach.

You'll need some Y connectors to split the Rx signals to the FCB and to the fixed wing control surface and a servo slower to slow down the tilt servo.

Randstclair is going this general direction with his Quad Bixler build.

With the Wii, you can handle almost any other situation and do tons (almost no limit) of cool stuff, but be prepared to strain your brain with the programming. Cass's F-35 program would lower the flaps and tailerons during hover as an example. As another example of the great flexibility of the Wii, I was able to create a flybarless 450 using the Wii controller, but I would have not been successful on the Chopper or the F-35 without a ton of help from Cass.

With the Wii, a lot of the hard programming work has already been done by Rcvertt and Cass, but for someone without programming experience, even something that should be simple such as changing the direction of a servo can be very difficult.
Last edited by leadfeather; Feb 15, 2013 at 07:28 AM.
Feb 15, 2013, 09:07 AM
vtol fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
Cesar,

In my opinion; by far; the easiest way to do a successful VTOL project at this time (in terms of coding/programing) is a 4 fan tilt quadcopter integrated into a suitable fixed wing airframe. You can do this with any flight control board using only the standard quad copter controls for hover. If you use a KK board, you shouldn't need a computer at all, the gyro tuning is done with little adjustable pots (potentiometers) on the board. Example of this approach.

You'll need some Y connectors to split the Rx signals to the FCB and to the fixed wing control surface and a servo slower to slow down the tilt servo.

Randstclair is going this general direction with his Quad Bixler build.

With the Wii, you can handle almost any other situation and do tons (almost no limit) of cool stuff, but be prepared to strain your brain with the programming. Cass's F-35 program would lower the flaps and tailerons during hover as an example. As another example of the great flexibility of the Wii, I was able to create a flybarless 450 using the Wii controller, but I would have not been successful on the Chopper or the F-35 without a ton of help from Cass.

With the Wii, a lot of the hard programming work has already been done by Rcvertt and Cass, but for someone without programming experience, even something that should be simple such as changing the direction of a servo can be very difficult.
Leadfeather.why one of you,Rcvertt,Peter,make one video turorial,from first step to last step how to programm for ex.f35 plane or someelse with 3 motors!?
Most important,after i download the sketch,how and what to define and not define!?
Is some possibilietes to upload one firmware,allready defined for f35?
I'ts a hard task,i know,everybody have his one priority
I have order one mwc lite board and soon i start to enter in this world of wii-vtol
I am pretty sure i will have good result!
Feb 16, 2013, 11:22 AM
Hi Peter,
that tricopter VTOL is very cool and exactly what I want to build.
Could you please give us all some information about the electronics you use, the motors, esc, the flying weight, ...
What about a building tutorial with plans? That would be great!
Feb 17, 2013, 10:56 PM
F&T, could you send me the link for the props you use?
Feb 18, 2013, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom-tom 1
I got iphone video of the 3 Chimeras flying together Saturday afternoon at E-Fest 2013...
That looks really cool!. Looks like the plane handles really well.
Feb 18, 2013, 11:57 AM
Retardedly intelligent
Thread OP
Thanks for the comments all!

Tom, here are the props I use http://www.radicalrc.com/category/Props-34

As far as plans go, I'm currently redesigning the plane into a twin boom configuration to solve most of the design issues. I will do a ardurino assembly guide, but I don't fully understand the code enough to explain it.
Feb 18, 2013, 12:07 PM
Hello Peter,

could you please give us a detailed list with the components you use:
motors, esc, control board, servos, prop pitch and diameter, lipo (3s and capacity)

What's the weight of your Chimera VTOL?
Give us some dimensions.

I think a lot of people are interested in your model and are waiting for details!
Feb 19, 2013, 03:35 AM
vtol fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by foam and tape
Thanks for the comments all!

Tom, here are the props I use http://www.radicalrc.com/category/Props-34

As far as plans go, I'm currently redesigning the plane into a twin boom configuration to solve most of the design issues. I will do a ardurino assembly guide, but I don't fully understand the code enough to explain it.
F&T,it will be usefull ,that allready ,you learn about wii,till now.
Important is pine assignment,how to upload and how to work with GUI,what to define and not to define...
For the kk boards,i managed all by my self,to load new firmware and all of it,but with wii,how difficult it is!?...from 10 to 1 scale
Cheers..
Feb 26, 2013, 01:42 PM
Doing things differently
Jackpot!

A final found a VTOL that doesn't seem impossible to make and can fly indoors AND will be a twin boom!

I cant wait to see this done, keep up the good word F&T!!

MIchael
Feb 28, 2013, 06:24 AM
Hi foam and tape,

don't make us wait so long for details of your Chimera!
Feb 28, 2013, 02:11 PM
vtol fan
Ditto...Ditto...Ditto
Mar 03, 2013, 05:32 AM
wow.... F&T, the Chimera looks awesome and flies great...my sincere admiration for another excellent design....
I really like to understand some of the electronic involved, But I think is over my capacity and my ages!!

I am at your disposal if you need to transfer information to CAD drawing and PDF
Mar 03, 2013, 05:49 AM
BTW... about twin boom design, maybe the Su-80 could be a good inspiration

Quick Reply