Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:14 PM
kinderkram is offline
Find More Posts by kinderkram
OS Sponsor
kinderkram's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patscherpofel View Post
I think a lot of people will use this gopro setup for fpv
I doubt it's a good idea to use a stabilized cam for FPV flying

In theory you can make the gimbal "stiff" by setting the max. angles to zero but I can't tell you if you can assign a switch for turning it on/off.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:26 PM
jazzboy is offline
Find More Posts by jazzboy
Make UAVs, not drones! ;-)
jazzboy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilhelmsson View Post
Hi Jazzboy, nop not unless you rewinde it, follow AlexMos rewinding video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MnGtXJAM08
I am aware of the need to rewind but I am worried about the extra current. Not sure if the board can handle larger motors in its present version.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:58 PM
Bricobrac is offline
Find More Posts by Bricobrac
E-Copter
Bricobrac's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
I doubt it's a good idea to use a stabilized cam for FPV flying

In theory you can make the gimbal "stiff" by setting the max. angles to zero but I can't tell you if you can assign a switch for turning it on/off.
HI,

for FPV a simple tilt gimbal with just one servo ( basic) and no compensation (simple control) would be the way to go, as if you use stabilisation during flight you will mix up the frames angle and horizon and might crash really easy by mistaking position / angle and velocity ?

Mmm maybe a small tweak to work on from basic cages ?

BEst regards,
Fabien
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:59 PM
Bricobrac is offline
Find More Posts by Bricobrac
E-Copter
Bricobrac's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzboy View Post
I am aware of the need to rewind but I am worried about the extra current. Not sure if the board can handle larger motors in its present version.
Hi,
each motor channel on the board can handle 7,1 A max. This leaves quite a good "room" for experimentations up to Sony Nex / Rx series cameras. Then, for larger motors, tests are needed on dynamic bench as the motor might need to be reducted ( harmonic drive) or over powerfull to be able to add control to level stabilization...

Actually small 28mm motors are given for 1,5 to 2,0 A max, but at 2,0 they need a cooling fan and i'm not sure about their life time.. Precise static and dynamic balancing will be very important on the gimbal.

Best regards,
Fabien
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:01 PM
DorianJ is offline
Find More Posts by DorianJ
Registered User
DorianJ's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebastianJ View Post
We will release ready to fit versions in three different sizes.
Are the following cameras correct size examples for your gimbals?

1. GoPro
2. Canon EOS M
3. Canon 5D Mark III (what lens option)


Thanks!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:32 PM
kinderkram is offline
Find More Posts by kinderkram
OS Sponsor
kinderkram's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricobrac View Post
HI,

for FPV a simple tilt gimbal with just one servo ( basic) and no compensation (simple control) would be the way to go, as if you use stabilisation during flight you will mix up the frames angle and horizon and might crash really easy by mistaking position / angle and velocity ?

Mmm maybe a small tweak to work on from basic cages ?

BEst regards,
Fabien
Yaw/nick control in combination with a head tracker would one exciting feature.
So you can look around like sitting in a cockpit.
Wouldn't a gyro controller on the googles be sufficient?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:39 PM
SebastianJ is offline
Find More Posts by SebastianJ
Droner
SebastianJ's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianJ View Post
Are the following cameras correct size examples for your gimbals?

1. GoPro
2. Canon EOS M
3. Canon 5D Mark III (what lens option)


Thanks!
Correct, and the DSLR gimbal will accommodate a camcorder as well, e.g. Sony CX760.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:45 PM
DorianJ is offline
Find More Posts by DorianJ
Registered User
DorianJ's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebastianJ View Post
Correct, and the DSLR gimbal will accommodate a camcorder as well, e.g. Sony CX760.
Thank you.

Maybe the developers should take a poll on which prime lens should be used for the DSLR model. Or will multiple prime lens options be available due to flexibility in gimbal balancing?

I propose the Nikon 20mm 2.8 for the 5D Mark III.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:08 PM
importon is offline
Find More Posts by importon
Registered User
Do you guys think I would be possible to use two controllers to make a 3axis gimbal. How would that work? Are there rotational limits in the software?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:18 PM
JussiH is offline
Find More Posts by JussiH
Friend is a 4 letter word...
JussiH's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by importon View Post
Do you guys think I would be possible to use two controllers to make a 3axis gimbal. How would that work? Are there rotational limits in the software?
There is a solution in the making for the 3rd axis - stay tuned, the concept will be shown soon...

No rotational limits other than cabling.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:47 PM
~>Miha<~ is offline
Find More Posts by ~>Miha<~
Registered User
~>Miha<~'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypam View Post
Maxon is Swiss
Indeed, and these motors/controllers are amazing. Not sure what is harder for them, to do this (see below) or to get smooth footage from the wobbling junk frame called S-800.

maxon motor EPOS2 Demonstration Unit Inverted Pendulums (1 min 18 sec)


BTW, still nobody got an answer to my question re. why these rewinded BL can do almost the same as the Maxons and at so much lower Voltage?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:58 PM
jcmonty is offline
Find More Posts by jcmonty
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianJ View Post
Thank you.

Maybe the developers should take a poll on which prime lens should be used for the DSLR model. Or will multiple prime lens options be available due to flexibility in gimbal balancing?

I propose the Nikon 20mm 2.8 for the 5D Mark III.
I believe that their goal is to make it flexible for different cameras. Delineating one camera and one lens will limit their market - kind of like a Zen muse. You should have the ability with some tweaking and tuning to use a variety of lenses I would think.

Plus, a Nikon lens for a Canon probably is a bit rarer of a combo
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:11 PM
DorianJ is offline
Find More Posts by DorianJ
Registered User
DorianJ's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
I believe that their goal is to make it flexible for different cameras. Delineating one camera and one lens will limit their market - kind of like a Zen muse. You should have the ability with some tweaking and tuning to use a variety of lenses I would think.
Yeah you're right. Before even asking my original question I should have referred back to the 1st post in this thread because it already answered my question regarding camera options. It also appears that there will be lot's of flexibility with the DSLR gimbal as far as camera choices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
Plus, a Nikon lens for a Canon probably is a bit rarer of a combo
True but the Nikon 20mm is a great lens for the 5D series...sharp clean picture, no distortion and not too wide Half the weight of the Canon 20mm and IMO a cleaner image.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:11 AM
jcmonty is offline
Find More Posts by jcmonty
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianJ View Post
Yeah you're right. Before even asking my original question I should have referred back to the 1st post in this thread because it already answered my question regarding camera options. It also appears that there will be lot's of flexibility with the DSLR gimbal as far as camera choices.



True but the Nikon 20mm is a great lens for the 5D series...sharp clean picture, no distortion and not too wide Half the weight of the Canon 20mm and IMO a cleaner image.
Good to know! I will have to look into it for my Canon. Though i am thinking of sucking it up and getting a GH3..
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:10 AM
Patscherpofel is online now
Find More Posts by Patscherpofel
Registered User
Patscherpofel's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
I doubt it's a good idea to use a stabilized cam for FPV flying

In theory you can make the gimbal "stiff" by setting the max. angles to zero but I can't tell you if you can assign a switch for turning it on/off.

its not that bad to fpv with stabalized cam...you just have to force yourself to feel your aircraft in a different way then by judging too much the video
you rather have to feel where the position of your sticks are and controle the aircraft really smooth (almost a must is flying with stabalized level ,also baro and gps helps a lot)
the only time its really anoying is when its windy and you are in a tight place and try to find a position, once you start to move its fine again

there are more gadgets that could help...artificial horizion or active tx sticks that move where the aircraft actually moves

I also fly with a non stabalized tilt gimbal only, this works really good mostly but for certain shots its nice to have the cam stabilized...the thing is once you have a working stabalized gimbal its hard to switch back

so if there is a possibility to slip in this feature in the future I would be really stoked


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini-HowTo Super Simple Gimbal - SSG - KK2.1 & OpenPilot support crezzee Aerial Photography 1672 Jul 01, 2016 06:42 AM
Yippee! Simple Brushless Gimbal Controller--FPV MODEL fpvmodels Multirotor Talk 3396 Dec 26, 2014 07:23 PM
Discussion A very simple camera-gimbal for Gaui 330xs babanan Multirotor Talk 2 Oct 09, 2013 09:46 AM