SCSA Open - prelim info - RC Groups
Jan 22, 2013, 03:10 AM
Contest

SCSA Open - prelim info

Hi guys,

We have been tossing the idea around for a few months, and finally started to put all this together a few months ago: hosting a large F3K contest in our backyard and inviting all our friends to come over and enjoy a fun weekend of flying, while getting the chance to explore out part of the world.

At the moment we have a tentative contest location and tentative date:

-October 19-20, 2013
-San Shui (23.327124,112.884822)

The area has some interesting historical sites, and is about 1 hour away from Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport. It is about 1 hour away from Guangzhou, and 3 hours away from Hong Kong.

We are exploring the possibility of having the pilots stay at San Shui Hot-Springs resort, a beautiful place with full chinese gardens, hot springs, and many types of massage facilities.

So far the feedback we've been receiving is very positive, with interest from all around the world and across China. It's a great place to get away, and airline tickets this time of the year is often quite cheap. The weather in October is the best, with lots of blue sky and perfect temperatures and humidity levels for outdoor activities. Mission Hills golf resort is less than 2 hours away, and there are many historical and shopping areas all around.

As I mentioned earlier, this is just a tentative shoutout to all you guys who may be interested. Nothing is set in stone yet, other than that SCSA Open will happen. We will try to get all the exact dates and locations confirmed over the next month or two to give you guys at least 6-7 months to get tickets/etc.

Here is a video we took the past weekend at the proposed site, although it was quite overcast and at times raining while we were there, you can see the size and quality of the field. Grass should be very nice and green in October:
San Shui field testing (2 min 7 sec)

This is the website of the proposed place of stay for the pilots: http://www.sswq.cn/index.php

Please come and enjoy our Chinese Hospitality

Yours,
Thomas Lee
Last edited by ThomasLee; Apr 01, 2013 at 03:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 22, 2013, 03:24 AM
We will start shooting promo video material for the SCSA Open at our next contest on the 3rd of Feb, stay tuned!
Latest blog entry: Vibe Assembly Instructions
Jan 22, 2013, 04:15 AM
Wow, nice advertisement ,especially the mention of massage facilities. It makes me can't help thinking about a good movie named "Due West: Our Sex Journey".
I am sure I must be there with my DLG.
ZHAOKUN
Last edited by Zhaokun Deng; Jan 22, 2013 at 09:14 PM.
Jan 22, 2013, 04:30 AM
Kun, you guys need to stop watching that stuff LOL....
Jan 22, 2013, 12:48 PM
AERO+
Every thing is processing.We will have busy days these months, and a big day to celebrate !
Jan 22, 2013, 10:49 PM
Time for me to Fly...
I'd love to come to China to fly. Unfortunately, a trip half way around the world is out of the question.... Maybe someday. I certainly hope it's well attended and there are lots of photos and discussions about the event posted here at RCG.
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Jan 24, 2013, 12:44 AM
It does seem like its a long trip for most of 'ya, it'll be well worth it though my friends
Seems like we'll be flying for half day on the 2nd, camping at the field and flying the February League contest at this field on the 3rd, can't wait!!! I've never camped in China before so this should be interesting.

Going to fly some 3K and 3B there this Sunday with some friends.
Jan 24, 2013, 01:26 AM
Beginner
Wonderful! I would be there and fly with you all!
Jan 24, 2013, 01:28 AM
ROBUST!!!you got the permit to come on the 3rd??
Jan 24, 2013, 09:31 AM
Beginner
Thomas! Of course , NO!!!
I should keep the chance to drive 3 hours to attend the contest in October !
Jan 28, 2013, 05:15 AM
The dates and location have been confirmed, it will be October 19-20, at the SCSA field in San Shui.

stay tuned for the promo videos and information pamphlets!

Some have mentioned that they needed to book airline tickets before they can apply for the Chinese Visa, to help speed things along, if you are in need of a Visa please let us know and we will send you an invitational letter from the Provincial body, it will help speed things along and make things go smoother.

All you hotshots, here's a chance to come duke it out and show us who's boss at our inaugural SCSA Open. North America, South America, Europe, Asia, its my goal to try to get at LEAST 1 or 2 pilots from each of these countries to come over Please help me my goal reality!!! The pilot who had to travel the most miles gets to share a tent with me if you want to camp!!!
Jan 28, 2013, 11:58 AM
AERO+
You share with the longest distance guy.

I will take the second one. No problem : )
Mar 08, 2013, 10:04 PM
Hi guys,

We've been busy working behind the scenes in preparations for the contest.
The promo/contest package should be ready in approximately 2 -2.5 weeks.

Here are some things we have planned and can confirm:

- Pickup for all pilots from Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport
- Designated hotel for the pilots from overseas, can help you book it through the contest for lower price
- Logistics to/from designated hotel and flying field
- Friday 18th is open day for flying/practice
- Contest is Saturday 19 - Sunday 20th
- Events planned for Friday and Saturday nights
- Optional group tour (21st - 22nd) for an additional fee around some historical and places of interest in the area. Includes all hotel arrangements, pickup from contest hotel to a hotel closer to the places of interest, and transportation to the airport after the tour.
- Dri-fit Tshirt for all contestants
- If you need/want, we can provide a letter from our provincial governing body to help smooth VISA application (should be quite smooth as is)
- Lunch will be served at the contest field
- Some cool prizes for the fly-off pilots!!!
- Tons of fun

So if you guys already know you want to come, please send me a message or email!!! Get your tickets booked early and we'll provide you with the letter as quickly as we can to help you get the VISA underway.

We're expecting pilots from the USA, the Cayman Islands, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, and Thailand, with possibilities of Europe, Japan, and Malaysia. Please come over and enjoy our hospitality!

We are working very hard to try to make the whole experience as smooth and enjoyable as possible for all contestants, just arrive and you'll be taken care of

Optionally you guys can stay longer and go around the city, and even come down to Hong Kong and explore our part of the world.
Mar 09, 2013, 09:37 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
That's really starting to come together! Great job, guys. I wish you the best with the event!!!
Would love to fly with you all.

Soar!
Jun
Mar 10, 2013, 09:55 AM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
If you are from North or South America and plan to stay longer in China, I would suggest you go early, see the sights and make the contest at the end of your stay. Otherwise you will be waking up at 1 AM wide awake & ready to go and then you will be dragging later in the day.

Excellent job Thomas!