Prop balancers - RC Groups
Jan 22, 2013, 01:18 AM
Discussion

Prop balancers

Recently I bought a prop balancer, a magnetic cheap one from China. Soon I found out it was almost impossible to balance the prop. I took a good look at the shaft with the cone shaped nuts. I noticed that the hole was not in the centre of the nuts. No wonder that I couldn't balance the props, the prop balance is not balanced!
I bought three more of those balance shafts and they were all out of balance.

Am I too picky here?

I am now thinking of buying the du-bro balancer but that one is 5x times the price of my current balancer. Is it worth the extra money? Is that shaft of the du-bro balancer balanced when no prop is in it?
to remove ads between posts
Jan 22, 2013, 01:33 PM
I had the same problem with my hobbyking balancer, it looks nice and well made but when balancing the props everytime the prop is moved it sits at a different position, seemed like a waste of time! be interested as well to know if its worth spending the extra
Jan 22, 2013, 02:08 PM
my magnetic balancer does the same

Would be good to balance out the balancer first... but.. when I removed the two screws, even the shaft itself seems to be imbalanced.... so what now?
Jan 22, 2013, 02:17 PM
Just tested my Hobbyking balancer. Same problem. Great D:
Jan 22, 2013, 02:19 PM
The HK balancers are garbage.
Once I got my Dubro I had to balance all the props I balanced with the HK balancer all over again. Besides its only $26 which is not alot if you plan on being in the hobby a while.
For anyone in the U.S looking for one we sell them-> http://rc-drones.com/dub-balancer.php
Jan 22, 2013, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfi666
my magnetic balancer does the same

Would be good to balance out the balancer first... but.. when I removed the two screws, even the shaft itself seems to be imbalanced.... so what now?
Most of the time that means the hub of the prop isn't balanced, btw. I thought my magnetic balancer was crap, but it's all in the props.
Jan 22, 2013, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhouse
Most of the time that means the hub of the prop isn't balanced, btw. I thought my magnetic balancer was crap, but it's all in the props.
I beg to differ, I blade and hub balanced my props with an HK "balancer" and for the reasons mentioned above every time I change the position of the cones or rotate the shaft in them the balance changes. It was a waste of money and, much more importantly, of time.....
Jan 22, 2013, 03:06 PM
Serge Bezborodov
I also use HK prop balancer, and i'm not satisfied.

Can anyone give link to good balancer with international shipping?

thanks
Jan 22, 2013, 03:11 PM
As mentioned earlier... you put only the shaft without any screws.. and it does not stays still.. it turns always to one direction, like if part of it is heavier....

I have mine from goodluckbuy...

Otherwise, the idea of magnetic balancer is great... its just that the fabrication isn't that precise how it would be required... so yeah.. those balancers just sucks
Jan 22, 2013, 03:11 PM
My HK balanacer is the same, the rubber comes are imbalanced themselves. I'm thinking about trying some fine sandpaper and balancing the cones themselves
Jan 22, 2013, 03:26 PM
if you're in the UK try this top flite balancer-

http://www.activescalemodels.co.uk/t...er-16741-p.asp

i still had to balance the shaft(very fine file) and cones(tape) a touch but worth the effort.
might be cheaper else where, was just a quick google.
Jan 22, 2013, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 Tony
The HK balancers are garbage.
Once I got my Dubro I had to balance all the props I balanced with the HK balancer all over again. Besides its only $26 which is not alot if you plan on being in the hobby a while.
For anyone in the U.S looking for one we sell them-> http://rc-drones.com/dub-balancer.php
This is the one to get...it's perfect and works 100%
Jan 22, 2013, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob69
if you're in the UK try this top flite balancer-

http://www.activescalemodels.co.uk/t...er-16741-p.asp

i still had to balance the shaft(very fine file) and cones(tape) a touch but worth the effort.
might be cheaper else where, was just a quick google.
That was the 2nd balancer I purchased and was thinking about carrying them untill I tried the Dubro.
It is better than the HK balancer but not as good as the Dubro.
Jan 22, 2013, 04:25 PM
kitesurfer
do you ship to uk tony?
Jan 22, 2013, 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicg
Recently I bought a prop balancer, a magnetic cheap one from China. Soon I found out it was almost impossible to balance the prop. I took a good look at the shaft with the cone shaped nuts. I noticed that the hole was not in the centre of the nuts. No wonder that I couldn't balance the props, the prop balance is not balanced!
I bought three more of those balance shafts and they were all out of balance.

Am I too picky here?

I am now thinking of buying the du-bro balancer but that one is 5x times the price of my current balancer. Is it worth the extra money? Is that shaft of the du-bro balancer balanced when no prop is in it?
Same issue I had with the Chinese ones. Get the DU-BRO one, works great.
I started carrying them on my site as I felt it was the best option.