Sep 12, 2013, 11:11 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur0903 View Post
Ha - right at 1:20 a frog jumps in front of the bow.
Good vid.
Most of the time it looks like the jib is not filled with wind?

Walt
to remove ads between posts
Sep 12, 2013, 11:17 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobydog6507 View Post
Doby dog:
Could you edit the title of this thread to in include the word VOLANS.
Your thread is hard to find with out it.
Sep 12, 2013, 01:28 PM
Thread OP
Its been viewed 25,760 times....a few people have found it
Sep 12, 2013, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopeli View Post
Ha - right at 1:20 a frog jumps in front of the bow.
Good vid.
Most of the time it looks like the jib is not filled with wind?

Walt
Ha...
Not a frog.
It's a killer whale torpedo.

Sep 14, 2013, 09:21 PM
Sep 20, 2013, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur0903 View Post
Ha...
Not a frog.
It's a killer whale torpedo.

Please Tell me More about you Killer Whale Torpedo is a Fun Project.
Thank You.
Victor.
Sep 20, 2013, 08:20 PM
Hi, this is it.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1982356
Sep 21, 2013, 12:32 PM
Just A Guy Taking a Walk...

Volans Main Hull on the Stand!

Hi, Y'all,

This is my second sailboat build, having built the Victoria(Stock) - Great hull, will improve the rigging at a later date...

Started my Volans build today.

I have the main hull on the stand, and have been reading & re-reading this thread, a bunch of your suggestions will definitely be incorporated. Thanks!

A question re: sail winch -

I picked up a Hi-Tec HS-785HB winch for the sails -

Will this be ok?
I chose it for torque, not speed...Did I goof?
I've read that the line can come off the drum without some kind of 'tension-er'?

I do have an idea regarding the pontoons, though...

If I Added 1/8" shim to the front the crossbeam, and shaved 1/8" from the aft, would that help with the submarining-pontoon issue?
At speed, would they plane better?

I apologize if I'm not being clear - I'm just thinking-by-typing...
Last edited by HSteve; Sep 21, 2013 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Expansion of scope...
Sep 21, 2013, 07:56 PM
hst
hst
Like other Thundertiger sailboats, this boat has to be modified and properly tuned.
Check this new video from Stockmaritime:
Adventure: Tuning and sailing a trimaran model sailing boat (5 min 43 sec)
Sep 21, 2013, 08:17 PM
Observation: With the change in sails from the provided ones to the plain white in the last video, performance is greatly improved - to a point. There is either too much sail area, or too little buoyancy, as in all but the lightest of winds, and when on a reach, only the bottom third of the mainsail is being used to drive the boat. Just imagine if one could use all that sail area in stronger winds. Windward sailing still looks suspect, and you can't use monohull sails for high speed multihulls - again, performance would be greatly improved if they had chosen a stiffer fabric. Too much shaking of the leech of the main in many of the views.

Provided for what it is worth. The hulls just aren't designed/built for high speed sailing.
Dec 05, 2013, 06:15 PM

Volans build questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSteve View Post
Hi, Y'all,

This is my second sailboat build, having built the Victoria(Stock) - Great hull, will improve the rigging at a later date...

Started my Volans build today.

I have the main hull on the stand, and have been reading & re-reading this thread, a bunch of your suggestions will definitely be incorporated. Thanks!

A question re: sail winch -

I picked up a Hi-Tec HS-785HB winch for the sails -

Will this be ok?
I chose it for torque, not speed...Did I goof?
I've read that the line can come off the drum without some kind of 'tension-er'?

I do have an idea regarding the pontoons, though...

If I Added 1/8" shim to the front the crossbeam, and shaved 1/8" from the aft, would that help with the submarining-pontoon issue?
At speed, would they plane better?

I apologize if I'm not being clear - I'm just thinking-by-typing...

Re the servo whinch you do need torque but you really need speed on a multi hull or you will forever recovering your boat in gusts they go over very quickly and you need to be able to sheet in and out very quickly. Hence my mod the 785 is way too slow . Altering the angle of attack of the sponsons will make no difference as these are piercing hulls and lack the buoyancy to support the rest of the craft on one hull. Good luck with for build.
Jun 04, 2014, 05:48 PM
Can this boat keep up with a us1m or is it more on par with a soling 1m?
Jun 26, 2018, 07:43 PM
SweetieInTulum
This thread seems to be dead for the last 4 years, is anyone still following?
Jun 26, 2018, 08:50 PM
May pickup again as HK are now selling it as well. Well they had stock last week according to their web site. New version of the Phantom also.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/thunder-...yacht-kit.html
Jun 26, 2018, 09:06 PM
SweetieInTulum
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat2011
May pickup again as HK are now selling it as well. Well they had stock last week according to their web site. New version of the Phantom also.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/thunder-...yacht-kit.html
Exactly why I was posting. Last year I picked up the Affinity on sale on a whim, looking for a diversion from my planes during the windy summer months. and had a blast with it right up until some A-hole broke into my car and stole it out of the trunk. When I went to replace it the price had jumped to $199 so I've held off. When I saw this boat at the same price I started considering it - the quality looks good, I spent years racing FS Cats, and where I sail the shallow draft over the Affinity is attractive. Any thoughts? I have zero interest in club sailing, just having a well built good sailer in both light and strong winds (usually a combo of both...) to enjoy when it's to windy to fly.

Quick Reply