Jan 21, 2013, 07:00 PM
Close enough
Thread OP
Gallery

January 21, 2013 MLK Fly-In

We had a great turnout for our MLK fly-in. It wasn't quite what the great Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. had at his "I have a dream" speech, but it wasn't bad for out little club of fliers in northern New Mexico. I counted 10 pilots.

The weather was brisk in the morning, but certainly flyable. Winds never went above about 5 mph, out of the north (of course!). The pits were busy and the parking row was filled up.

Marc
to remove ads between posts
Jan 21, 2013, 07:12 PM
Close enough
Thread OP

RayG's P-47

Ray was one of the brave pilots to put a plane in the air on the Friday before MLK day. The conditions were marginal with winds 6-8 and gusting to 10 mph. But the big Jug flew very well.

The plane was back out on MLK day, but missed a take-off roll. It sustained minor undercarriage damage. I'm sure it will be flying again soon.

Marc
Jan 21, 2013, 07:22 PM
Close enough
Thread OP

Art's Extra 330

Art brought out his $40 new in the box Extra 330 that he bought at a swap meet. It's first flight was quite pitch sensitive. Art thinks it's tail heavy. But it looks like it'll be a very solid flier once the CG issue gets straightened out.

Marc
Jan 21, 2013, 07:29 PM
Close enough
Thread OP

Tom's Fazer

Tom had his tuned-pipe equipped Fazer tearing holes in the sky today. I tried the entire flight to get a photo with the wings level. But no such luck for this photographer. That is until Tom ran out of fuel and dead-sticked the landing. But he's a master at the dead-stick. Maybe another ounce of fuel or 15 seconds removed from the timer?

Marc
Jan 21, 2013, 07:33 PM
Close enough
Thread OP

Jack's Yak

It wouldn't be a day at the field without Jack's big Yak. It looks great in the air. A slow fly-by, followed by a full power climb never gets tiring.

Marc
Jan 21, 2013, 07:36 PM
Close enough
Thread OP

Ray's Kaos

RayG had his good looking Kaos flying today. It's not a huge plane, but it seems to handle the wind very well. This was also the plane that John was buddy-boxing with.

Marc
Last edited by AtomicFlyer; Jan 21, 2013 at 08:01 PM.
Jan 21, 2013, 07:41 PM
Close enough
Thread OP

Pat's 4-Da-Tude

Pat had his rebuilt 4-Da-Tude Paper Airplane glider at the field. The mods certainly helped the stability. No uncontrolled rolling. But someone has to get a bigger tow plane!

Today, Art gave the 4-Da-Tude a ride up with his Telemaster and Ross towed it up with his Ibis.

Marc
Jan 21, 2013, 07:44 PM
Close enough
Thread OP

John flying the Kaos

John got some good stick time on the buddy box with the Kaos. He's got some serious concentration while flying. Everyone at the field agrees he'll be flying circles around us old timers very soon.

Marc
Jan 21, 2013, 07:47 PM
Close enough
Thread OP

Randy's SkyRaider Mach II

Randy was being a little coy with his SkyRaider today. But I managed to get this shot of him in the air.

Marc
Jan 21, 2013, 07:50 PM
Close enough
Thread OP

Ross's Ibis

Ross had his rebuilt Ibis flying today. He made some high powered passes. Then used it to tow Pat's 4-Da-Tude up to altitude. Now I see why Pat was so energetic about repairing the Ibis.

Marc
Jan 21, 2013, 07:53 PM
Close enough
Thread OP

Full Scale Aircraft

On Friday, there was an aluminum and blue tail-dragger that was flying overhead. I didn't get a tail number though.

On Monday, a Remos flew past. This plane is a rental/trainer based out of Santa Fe. Tail number N28GX.

Marc

Quick Reply