This thread is privately moderated by GBLynden, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 21, 2013, 01:32 AM
I review RC Products
Thread OP
Discussion

My Champ Soared to New Heights!

So I had quite the adventure today. Even though common sense would say not to try to take the Champ up 1,000 feet plus on a windy day, I did it anyway.

I took off into the wind and circled to gain elevation. I had it pretty close to full throttle fighting the wind and trying to get up there quickly while my buddy's Bixlar had enough battery to get up there and confirm. It was way too high and too small for the range finder, which is why we need him to confirm.

I took it up and 500 feet was confirmed, then 650, then 800, then 900, then I am not sure exactly what height you are, but it is closer to 1,100 than it is 1,000. All the while it was drifting away from me and got to the point there I couldn't see which direction I was heading to bring it back.

I ending up using some down elevator to get it close to me as quickly as I could in an attempt to make it so I could get it back. At one point I was thinking that the speck (my Champ) was going to disappear and be lost forever. Luckily, the going lower fast plan worked out and I was able to fly it back, do a victory loop with what was left of the battery and land it as I hit LVC.

The guys I fly with aren't typically impressed with micro planes at all, but they were pretty thrilled about that accomplishment that I had with the Champ/DX6i combo.

There may also be some video of it soaring above the Bixler, but it might be a bit before that footage can be verified. My friend's computer has been having a lot of issues lately and is on the DL.

GB
Last edited by GBLynden; Jan 21, 2013 at 02:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply