Jan 20, 2013, 08:58 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Float plane/Bush plane suggestion? Foamy?

I am getting bored with the PZ warbirds... And I friggin wish that the E-Flite Carbon Cub was BIGGER. Can anyone recommend a quality foamy, float plane? Are there any other brands that deliver similar quality to Parkzone & E-flite, that also have replacement parts available if needed?

I've checked out the Flyzone Beaver...I've checkout out Nitroplanes/Banana Hobby stuff, but I am very reluctant to purchase any of their stuff.
Last edited by w1indse7; Jan 20, 2013 at 09:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 21, 2013, 06:20 AM
http://microrczone.com/content/fun_cub.htm
Jan 21, 2013, 06:40 AM
Just having fun
Check out the GWS E-Starter. Floats are available from GWS too. However, GWS products have been in short supply over the past year for some reason. Two years ago there were lots of planes and parts available. GWS has been around a long time. Early E-Starter posts here at RCG date back to 2004.

E-Starter Part 1
E-Starter Part 2

Maiden ES Floats (3 min 19 sec)

Freddy
Jan 21, 2013, 08:13 AM
Polaris. You can build it as a kit, or these days there's even an ARF version. Or you can even build it for "free" from public plans. It's a great flyer and handles great on the water.
Jan 21, 2013, 09:38 AM
Card Carrying Old Fart
Here are two that are getting some good reviews in the Scratchbuild Foamies forum. These are links for kits from WMParkflyers.com, the Mako Seaplane and the Magnum Reloaded that has optional floats.

http://www.wmparkflyers.com/Pages/MakoSeaPlane.aspx
http://www.wmparkflyers.com/Pages/MagnumReloaded.aspx

There are also threads about both with downloadable plans if you want to scratch build your own.
Jan 21, 2013, 09:45 AM
Make sure you check out the fun cub.
Jan 21, 2013, 09:50 AM
Thread OP
Wow.. a lot of great choices I was unaware of! I forgot about the fun cub. The e-flite apprentice on floats... the T-28 on floats... hmmm
Jan 21, 2013, 02:15 PM
IWC
IWC
Fox lite models Husky (BALSA)
Www.foxlitemodels.com
Last edited by IWC; Jan 21, 2013 at 07:40 PM.
Jan 21, 2013, 02:23 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
There is also the Super Cub LP, with floats for about $200 total. I have converted mine to brushless and I have about 300 flights or more on it. Been though 2 sets of floats, but the plane is still great. I put lights on mine so I can fly at night also.

There are many threads about putting alerons on it. Mine is just 3 channels.

There are many float planes out there. Also the new Beaver from Tower is a nice large plane, with lights and floats.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Jan 21, 2013, 07:24 PM
Thread OP
delete
Last edited by w1indse7; Jan 21, 2013 at 07:36 PM.
Jan 21, 2013, 07:42 PM
Thread OP
The new Hobbyzone Glasiar SPortman looks like it would make a good floatplane platform, possibly the Parkzone Archer..

IWC- That Foxlite Husky sure looks nice.. I just dont have the time, tools, space, or patience to be working on balsa planes. Thanks for the info though!
Jan 22, 2013, 04:21 PM
The ideal platform would be the Flyzone DH2 Beaver. It comes with both floats and wheeled landing gear. I have 4 of their planes and all of high quality.
Jan 22, 2013, 05:16 PM
yes on the flyzone beaver. mine is on order and they are getting great reviews. GWS e starter is a really fun plane. Fun Cub would be by far the best choice, they are an unbelievable plane.
Jan 22, 2013, 08:59 PM
Have you looked at the ICON A5? I've been looking at this for a spring order.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...a5-bnf-PKZ5880
Jan 23, 2013, 12:20 AM
Thread OP
Yeah, the Beaver does look like my best choice as it comes with everything I am looking for and it's already built!, wish they sold a PNP though... Does anyone know if I can plug the flyzone servo, ESC, motor leads into a spektrum receiver? The fun cub I'll admit would be a great platform, however, I think that the Fun Cub is wayy over priced and looks cheap. Not up to par with the parkzone/E-flite stuff.

Yeah, I definitely have checked out the Icon A5, and it gets horrible reviews. Weak fuselage @ tail section, flys like a brick, slow and underpowered, etc... it's too bad. However, I have never actually flown it myself.

Quick Reply