Jan 19, 2013, 05:40 PM
mahoganyfan
Discussion

Fast Mahogany Boat

r/c boat (1 min 50 sec)

Legend Model Boat
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2013, 11:22 PM
Sounds and looks like your driving with a straight shaft submerged prop? Are you using a surface prop; the way it rides can be tweaked with the right prop so you can run full throttle without fear of flipping.
Jan 20, 2013, 02:59 PM
mahoganyfan

Amp abuser

Yes it is a submerged prop ,straight shaft with a 637 x Octura prop.
Jan 20, 2013, 06:29 PM
Here is the Octura prop chart, there are some dedicated submerged running props that may improve the ride at full throttle. The X series props are all shaped to perform on the surface; they do lift quite a bit when you have plenty motah.
Jan 21, 2013, 07:04 PM
mahoganyfan

Octura Chart

Thanks Amp Abuser,I might try a different prop now.
Jan 22, 2013, 02:26 PM
Steps? What steps?
The boat runs very well for what it is - a scale model. Overpowered like it is, it will hop and skip regardless of the prop used. The Octura X props are about the lowest lift props Octura makes. When running fully submerged, a prop's lifting characteristics don't matter anyway since the thrust cone is surrounded by water. Only when run in surfacing conditions will a prop lift - because the top of the thrust cone is not contributing to forward movement.

Slowing the boat down a bit will keep it on the water unless you want to completely re-do the drive system to a parallel surfacing drive. Racers running Crackerbox boats - similar in hull form - have done this to reduce any hopping. But that just doesn't seem right on a nice scale boat like this one.....

Jan 23, 2013, 01:39 AM
Octura submerged prop vs X series prop.
Jan 23, 2013, 06:11 PM
mahoganyfan

x series prop

Thanks again Amp Abuser,maybe I should try a different prop or maybe blueprinting the bottom of hull to get any waves or gullies out of it.I was told by a friend the boat might run better then.
Jan 23, 2013, 09:18 PM
Steps? What steps?
Quote:
Octura submerged prop vs X series prop.
Sadly, those props will cavitate badly at the rpm the OP will be using, they are low pitch/low rpm props. As stated above, prop 'lift' means nothing with a fully submerged prop anyway.

Hey, what do I know, I've just been designing and racing (and winning) FE boats for thirty years. BTW the information I posted came from my friend Tom, the owner and designer of Octura props.

Feb 05, 2013, 05:54 PM
mahoganyfan

Advice

Thanks Zozer for advice.
Feb 07, 2013, 09:35 PM
Hoffy1980
zozer, what would a good drive and motor for a 20 in. deep vee be? you are saying underwater prop is bad? if so would I need a shaft going out the back at the bottom? Thanks for any help. I wouldnt mind playing around and finding what I though was best for me but its a little costly. I was wanting to run 2s batterys. just need some idea on motor prop and size of running gear. I will buy most of my stuff from china on first boat . If it goes well will buy better stuff for a bigger one.