Thread Tools
Jan 19, 2013, 05:42 PM
ARFs Are Me
TomCrump's Avatar
Thanks, Earl. If I need anything specific, I'll let you know.

Nice pooch.

Mine snors, too. LOL
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2013, 08:44 PM
Registered User
Nice choice! I'm a BIG Golden Age Airplane fan!
Jan 20, 2013, 08:48 AM
ARFs Are Me
TomCrump's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARUP
Nice choice! I'm a BIG Golden Age Airplane fan!
I believe that you may have built a few, yourself !
Jan 20, 2013, 02:08 PM
ARFs Are Me
TomCrump's Avatar
I built the stab today. Construction is basically the same asthe elevators.

Most of the wood, so far, has been found in my scrap box. I hope that I can find the materials for the fin and rudder, which I hope to build tomorrow.

Finding the 1/4" stock is the issue. I've been lucky so far.
Jan 20, 2013, 02:16 PM
wood is good
loNslo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump
I built the stab today. Construction is basically the same asthe elevators.

Most of the wood, so far, has been found in my scrap box. I hope that I can find the materials for the fin and rudder, which I hope to build tomorrow.

Finding the 1/4" stock is the issue. I've been lucky so far.
Readers will think you must be the cheapest model builder on the net. Com'on, buy a sheet of balsa!
Jan 20, 2013, 02:51 PM
ARFs Are Me
TomCrump's Avatar
No need to buy wood when you already have it. LOL

Besides, I'd probably have to order it. My LHS has limited supplies.
Jan 20, 2013, 03:10 PM
wood is good
loNslo's Avatar
My LHS, Evett's Models, carries a wonderful supply of Bud Nosen materials. I couldn't help myself so I bought a sheet of balsa in virtually every thickness they had in stock, also partial sheets in several thicknesses of lite and aircraft ply, just to have on hand. It would have been cheaper to order it. But then, one day, the LHS either won't be there or it won't carry what I need.

But I check my scrap box, first.
Jan 20, 2013, 03:49 PM
AMA 910957
EJWash1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump
No need to buy wood when you already have it.
You HAVE to find a place for the cartoon ply!

EJWash
Jan 20, 2013, 05:07 PM
ARFs Are Me
TomCrump's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWash1
You HAVE to find a place for the cartoon ply!

EJWash
Don't worry. I'm sure that the cartoon wood will find it's way into this build. If it doesn't, it'll be the first time in 20 years.
Jan 20, 2013, 05:51 PM
Heads up...
RMCCOR7737's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump
Don't worry. I'm sure that the cartoon wood will find it's way into this build. If it doesn't, it'll be the first time in 20 years.
What the hell is "cartoon wood"?
Jan 20, 2013, 07:33 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMCCOR7737
What the hell is "cartoon wood"?
Noob! Just kidding. Tom will show you a sample I'm sure.
Jan 20, 2013, 09:01 PM
Bellanca Kruesair
epoxyearl's Avatar

I'm sorry I asked-


Cartoon wood only grows in Traverse City...It has an uncommon structure,and sometimes the grain resembles cartoon characters,when it's cut on a 45Degree bias....
Latest blog entry: Shiny Paint
Jan 21, 2013, 06:31 AM
ARFs Are Me
TomCrump's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMCCOR7737
What the hell is "cartoon wood"?
Cartoon wood is a lite ply that I obtained while working at a paint by number factory. The wood was printed with Chritmas figures one it, and die cut into Christmas ornaments. The idea was to paint the pieces, and use them for decorations.

The figures are somewhat cartoonish, so we dubbed it cartoon wood.

I've been using this stuff for over 20 years, and it frequently appears in my build threads. The guys that frequently follow my builds know me for it, and my use of pink covered ironing boards during my builds. It has become a source of frequent, and good natured, ribbing.
Jan 21, 2013, 08:37 AM
ARFs Are Me
TomCrump's Avatar
Here's a better pic of the cartoon wood.
Jan 21, 2013, 11:52 AM
Heads up...
RMCCOR7737's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump
Cartoon wood is a lite ply that I obtained while working at a paint by number factory. The wood was printed with Chritmas figures one it, and die cut into Christmas ornaments. The idea was to paint the pieces, and use them for decorations.

The figures are somewhat cartoonish, so we dubbed it cartoon wood.

I've been using this stuff for over 20 years, and it frequently appears in my build threads. The guys that frequently follow my builds know me for it, and my use of pink covered ironing boards during my builds. It has become a source of frequent, and good natured, ribbing.
Oooh! I figured it was an insider thing...Thanks for the clarification though.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gallery 'History' - Alaskan Aerial Survey 1929 Tom Harper Aerial Photography 11 Mar 26, 2013 03:16 PM
Contest Build Off 1935 Lambert Monoprep Clancy Scale Kit/Scratch Built 1 Jan 29, 2007 07:27 PM
1/5 scale Golden Age Models Wing Plans 1929 Travel Air Mystery Ship probuilder Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Apr 27, 2004 08:07 PM