Two Futaba 10CHG 2.4 FASST have full control on FrSky TFR6 7ch 2.4Ghz Receiver FASST - RC Groups
Jan 19, 2013, 04:50 AM
Careful!

Two Futaba 10CHG 2.4 FASST have full control on FrSky TFR6 7ch 2.4Ghz Receiver FASST

A few weeks ago we had a very terrible accident.

My friend and I have transmitters of the same type (Futaba 10CHG 2.4 FASST). However, we had no idea that we also use the same receivers (FrSky TFR6 7ch 2.4Ghz receiver FASST Compatible).

Unfortunately, we end up with a crash and following that, on the ground, my friend cut his finger. Apparently, he left his electric model with a battery plugged and was unaware that my transmitter control his model !!!

While trying to figure out what happened and how we found something disturbing: our two Identical transmitters, Futaba 10CHG 2.4 FASST, have a full control on two FrSky TFR6 7ch 2.4Ghz compatible FASST receivers at the same time!
I am not sure how it happened that 2 different receivers that were bound each to its own transmitter ends up accepting signal from other receivers, but I'm surly not going to use any of these compatible FASTT receivers again.

I thought I should bring this to your attention in order for you people to know about the potential risk.

We have performed another test several days later, this time also with original Futaba receiver, we were amazed from the results. Check out this video:

2 Futaba 10CHG 2.4 FASST that have full control on FrSky TFR6 7ch 2.4Ghz Receiver FASST Compatible (2 min 3 sec)
Last edited by ShayRC; Jan 19, 2013 at 12:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2013, 05:44 AM
Are you sure your both transmitters are plagued by zero GUID bug ?
Jan 19, 2013, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa
Are you sure your both transmitters are plagued by zero GUID bug ?
It has nothing with the zero bug as I understand it.

The issue only happen with the FrSky not with the original futaba as you can see in the video.
Jan 19, 2013, 06:06 AM
Conversely, the zero guid issue is exactly this thing: a transmitter controls a receiver apparently bound to other transmitter.
In the video there is a single Futaba receiver, I would like to see the same experiment with two Futaba receivers, of course each bound to each own transmitter.
How did you bound Frsky receivers? Was a single transmitter only active when you bound a receiver at a time ?
I would contact Frsky anyway for this issue, they are the most involved to diagnose and issue a fix.
Jan 19, 2013, 06:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa
Conversely, the zero guid issue is exactly this thing: a transmitter controls a receiver apparently bound to other transmitter.
In the video there is a single Futaba receiver, I would like to see the same experiment with two Futaba receivers, of course each bound to each own transmitter.
How did you bound Frsky receivers? Was a single transmitter only active when you bound a receiver at a time ?
I would contact Frsky anyway for this issue, they are the most involved to diagnose and issue a fix.
First, Yes, we did check the same with 2 Futaba receivers.

Secondly, in the video you see it clear that the Futaba receiver is been controlled only by the transmitter that it was bound to.

And yes, of course each FsSky receiver was bound while only one transmitter was on.

The Zero bug refer to early transmitters. Not for the 10 series.
(Google it)
Jan 19, 2013, 06:48 AM
Mikarro, I wish I would see your videos before I used my FsSky.
Doesn't worth the saving price vs the injury and the plan that was crashed.
Jan 19, 2013, 08:24 AM
It sounds like the FrSky receiver might not be using the full Fasst GUID and that on these two Tx's the part of the GUID that is used is the same.
Last edited by FrankS; Jan 19, 2013 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Gammar
Jan 20, 2013, 08:04 PM
The US distributor of FrSky is Aloft Hobbies.
http://www.alofthobbies.com/
It may be worth getting in touch with them in regard to this issue.
I think FrankS is on the right track. As far as Zguid goes. Only the very early Futaba receivers would respond to a Zguid. Futaba very quickly made a production change to all receivers so that they woun't link to a Zguid transmitter.
FWIW, I do fly with another guy who uses the FrSky receivers. We both have Futaba 8FG's, and so far he's never been hit by my 8FG when we're flying together.
Pete
Jan 24, 2013, 07:04 AM
ShayRC, have you decided what to do with these receivers? I hope there will be trustworthy explanation from Frsky. If it was a ZGUID problem I think a genuine Futaba receiver would behave the same way. So to me it looks like wrong handling of the GUID in the Frsky receivers. This would of course be a very serious problem. Or could it be that Futaba has some hidden code as an addition to the GUID and that this code has not been revealed yet.
/PO
Jan 24, 2013, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peso
ShayRC, have you decided what to do with these receivers? I hope there will be trustworthy explanation from Frsky. If it was a ZGUID problem I think a genuine Futaba receiver would behave the same way. So to me it looks like wrong handling of the GUID in the Frsky receivers. This would of course be a very serious problem. Or could it be that Futaba has some hidden code as an addition to the GUID and that this code has not been revealed yet.
/PO
I surly not going to use FrSky receivers.
I don't think we deal with the ZGUID issue.
Jan 24, 2013, 09:26 AM
I fully understand your disappointment. Especially as Frsky receivers have quite a good reliability record and are supposed to work well. I myself have considered them to be almost as good as Futaba. I also have them in bigger planes. Maybe I should think it over again. It seems like the receiver does not process the whole GUID code. I wonder if anyone has any knowledge of that.
Jan 24, 2013, 12:13 PM
Not good. Frsky need to see these video's ...fast, no pun intended.

I use the FASST Frsky Rx's in a lot of my sport planes and so far they have been 100% good. I wont use them in my expensive mouldies however just for added peace of mind and the fact that the original Futaba Rx's have proven themselves to be 100% rock solid over many years.

Can you please re-do this test but bind one Rx to one Tx using 7 Channel Mode and the other Rx to the other Tx using Multi Mode. Does the problem of "Common Control" still occur?
Jan 26, 2013, 11:17 AM
numnutchris
Also curious as lot of guys at the field use these clones. We dont have any 10C but several 8FGs. Did you bind in the 7CH mode or in the multi (10CH) mode before making the video?
Jan 26, 2013, 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by numnutchris
Also curious as lot of guys at the field use these clones. We dont have any 10C but several 8FGs. Did you bind in the 7CH mode or in the multi (10CH) mode before making the video?
7CH mode since its the only mode that it will work with.

Quick Reply