KATIE MARTIN Tribute Fly-In III - June 1st, Torrey Pines - RC Groups
Jan 18, 2013, 11:25 PM
Ask me about VTPR
Discussion

KATIE MARTIN Tribute Fly-In III - June 1st, Torrey Pines

Hi Fellow Slopers:

Its that time of year again to announce the [B]3rd Annual Katie Martin Tribute Fly-In. The event will again take place at the beautiful Torry Pines Gliderport slope.

The date is June 1st at the world famous bluff of Torrey Pines beginning at 12 noon. See attached PDF flyer and forward to your friends and family.

We are planning on having games and a raffle for prizes again that was so successful last year (the logistics is still being planned as of this writing). If you would like to make some sugestions lets hear them.

Torrey Pines has a few rules and they are:

1) Current proof of AMA membership required.

2) There is an insurance waiver that must be sighned before flying. This is done at the flight shack at the south portion of the gliderport. This takes about 10 minutes.

3) The cost of your share of the insurance burden is $7.50/day or $150/year for unlimited access. This will be paid when you accomplish item #4.

4) You must sign in on the flying roster at the counter in the flight shack with your name, AMA # and the date of experation of AMA. You will be required to show your card to the administration person at the counter.

- Torrey Pines is an active airport and must follow stringent rules as per the City of San Diego which requires these rules to be in place.
- Most of you that will be attending are most likely not Gulls members, and are not rated to fly at Torrey Pines. You are however allowed to fly Torrey as a Gulls guest as long as all of the requirments are met.
- You must have a Gulls member as a spotter at all times if you fly as a guest. You can also join the club and get a rating and fly unattended. You must have a qualified Gull to give you a rating. The rating process is simple to aquire and only takes about 20 minutes, so try to show up early.
- If you have any questions on flying Torrey Pines, please direct them to JIM SCOTT (aka 'Pismo' on RCG - TPG Slope Coordinator). Also check out the Gulls web site, it is a very nice site with quite a bit of information here.

We had a good time last year even though the weather didnt quite cooperate. We anticipate this years event will be bigger and better but we need you to make plans to show up.

Bring your Bob Martin RC models and your Hobie Hawks ready to fly and any static display models you would like to show off. All brands of models or scratch builds are welcome for you to fly. We want everybody to feel welcome.

Lets go have a great day of sloping in honor of a great lady of our sport, Katie Martin.

Bob Martin will be there sharing his and Katies vast experience in the modeling world and is looking forward to meeting with all of you.

See you there June 1st, 2013

Eric
Last edited by oldscooler; Feb 17, 2013 at 01:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2013, 08:59 AM
Intermediate Multi
I remember that picture from an old magazine. I figured she was just one of RCM's hired models. She does know how to launch though.
Jan 20, 2013, 12:35 AM
Life is better now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire
I remember that picture from an old magazine. I figured she was just one of RCM's hired models. She does know how to launch though.
That was Katie Martin launching an SR-7. Although she never rubbed it in, if some guy would rib her about lady driver, she would tell me she enjoyed flying circles around him, and she often did. She did not expect special treatment, she just was one of the guys when it came to flying.

The shot was on the cover of RCM Magazine somewhere around 1978 or 79.

Bob Martin
Jan 20, 2013, 05:28 PM
Fly like you can still see it

Katie flew my Coyote

Katie flew my split-wing traveling Coyote at Soar Utah 1995.
The slope soaring memories don't get much better than that.
// Dave
Jan 20, 2013, 11:23 PM
Ask me about VTPR
Awesome photo Dave. Katie was so full of life I see hubby Bob holding onto her energy too. "No Dave, you cant have her." We can clearly see her infectious like ability. What a gal...

Now Bob, I love that hat. Remember what the headband advertised?

Eric
Jan 20, 2013, 11:31 PM
Aeronca Driver
Count me in. I will be there for year 3.......

-john
Jan 21, 2013, 01:04 AM
Ask me about VTPR
Word just in from Debra Cleghorn, Executive editor Air Age Media, Model Airplane News, Electric Flight & Flight Journal has expressed support of the Tribute by sending out some Free subscription cards and hats. We thank M.A.N for their support.

Eric
Last edited by oldscooler; Jan 21, 2013 at 10:01 AM.
Jan 21, 2013, 07:29 AM
Man, I cant wait.
The Tribute has alwasy been a blast, and with honoring such a great ladie year 3 will be the best yet.
Ive started praying to the wind gods to make for a perfect day.
I guess I better make sure my planes are in tip top shape
Brent
Jan 21, 2013, 08:07 AM
Can't wait. The Slave Labor and his boss will be there. I'll make sure Canardly Griffin is there this year and I hope to have a surprise guest to join My Katie II, Coyote (both 5 and 6 foot wings),SR-7, my Talon, and of course my Hobie Hawk..
Last edited by TonyMegowan; Jan 21, 2013 at 08:13 AM.
Jan 21, 2013, 05:44 PM
Unregistered User
Gotta be there this year.
Kevin
P.S. Funny how post #1 picture of Katie launching the SR7 has the most views.
Last edited by kmdunnster; Jan 22, 2013 at 11:00 PM.
Jan 21, 2013, 06:46 PM
You know I have to go..
Jan 21, 2013, 07:18 PM
Life is better now

Katie Martin Tribute III June 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMegowan
Can't wait. The Slave Labor and his boss will be there. I'll make sure Canardly Griffin is there this year and I hope to have a surprise guest to join My Katie II, Coyote (both 5 and 6 foot wings),SR-7, my Talon, and of course my Hobie Hawk..
You must have gotten a new car.....those will not all fit into a Corvette!
Look forward to seeing you and Slave labor's boss!
Bob
Jan 21, 2013, 07:22 PM
Life is better now

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscooler
Awesome photo Dave. Katie was so full of life I see hubby Bob holding onto her energy too. "No Dave, you cant have her." We can clearly see her infectious like ability. What a gal...

Now Bob, I love that hat. Remember what the headband advertised?

Eric
Costa Rica
I never had the opportunity, but I plan to correct that, to fly a slope plane in Costa Rica. Yes I remember how Katie was the first lady to fly an RC power and glider airplane in Costa Rica.....
Jan 21, 2013, 08:42 PM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
Bob, I'm going to answer your PM here instead of privately:

The only thing that could prevent me from coming is a medical emergency or a family tragedy. I can't rule those things out, but I have no reason whatsoever to anticipate either one.

And have you ever seen me at an event without my photo gear?

Pete (who only has 3 other events on his annual "must attend" list)

RUT ROH ...

Y'all scheduled this year's Katie Martin event on RCX weekend and I've already committed (for the 5th year in a row) to work in the flying area there. Ironically, it's one of the other 3 annual "must attend" events and I'm afraid that it has to take precedence.

Sometimes life sucks, and this has all the makin's of one of those times.

rePete
Last edited by PGR; Jan 21, 2013 at 11:04 PM.
Jan 22, 2013, 10:31 AM
Life is better now

Pete,
How dare they schedule their RCX event on Katie's Birthday. Poor manners if you ask me.
We will miss you Pete. Maybe someone else will film the event so you can still see what went on. Others enjoyed your coverage, now it is your turn.
Bob